Flying in Circle and going up/down without triggering CSC
2907 13 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dharmmy
lvl.1

Nigeria

Hello. I have been scared of doing this for a while, as I am always afraid I will shut the motors accidentally. Please how do I do a circular motion shot, while coming down at thesame time. It feels like I might trigger the CSC and shut the motors so I have been scared of doing it. How is it rightly done. Coming down and rotating the drone 360 degrees. I am using a Phantom3Pro. Also to do a circular motion(flying in circle different from rotating the drone - Yaw) a friend also mentioned somthing about pulling the left stick to the left and right stick to the right, but it feels like I might trigger the CSC. Any advice. I have been  practising all basic fly forward, backward basic movements for over a month now and I feel it is time to go a little more advance.

2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Your drones compass needs to be calibrated. That's the dreaded  toilet bowl affect...

Many pilots have inadvertently crashed because of that. Calibrate your IMU and gimbal.
Then go outside to calibrate the compass, in a clear area away from any electrical or ferris metal interference.

That should fix this problem.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To trigger CSC you would have to pull the sticks to their extremes.
That's not the kind of move anyone will ever do for normal controlled flight.
It would be going max speed down and spiralling left or right while also going backwards and left/right at full speed.
If you are like that that, you'll probably crash before you CSC anyway.
2017-2-16
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-16 00:50
Your drones compass needs to be calibrated. That's the dreaded  toilet bowl affect...

Many pilots have inadvertently crashed because of that. Calibrate your IMU and gimbal.

He's saying he purposely wants to pull those Maneuvers and is afraid CSC will trigger
2017-2-16
Use props
Dharmmy
lvl.1

Nigeria

Please read my post again. I am asking how I can fly in circle without trigerring CSC. I am afraid I will trigger which I dont want
2017-2-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are you aware of the point of interest mode?  There are a number of IOC modes - see your manual.  
2017-2-16
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dharmmy Posted at 2017-2-16 07:36
Please read my post again. I am asking how I can fly in circle without trigerring CSC. I am afraid I will trigger which I dont want

The csc command only works if the sticks are pulled all the way to the limit.  You would not ever be doing that if you are filming.  Just move the sticks a small amount to achieve the effect you want.  Think about how fast the Phantom turns if you just push the left stick full left or right.  Would you shoot video at that turn rate?  As in all things, moderation is the key.
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-2-16 07:26
He's saying he purposely wants to pull those Maneuvers and is afraid CSC will trigger

Both sticks down and to the left or right, but not all the way to the bottom.

Will give you lovely turns.

Utilizing the flight SIM is great to experiment with the sticks and what happens when uncertain positioning is done. If you guys will give the SIM a chance...
Are you trying these moves with this tool yet?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And latest firmware update for the P3A or P3P introduced a three second delay to the motor shut off using CSC.

Circling and descending best done using Point Of Interest intelligent flight mode, during which you can easily change height and radius relative to object.

As mentioned above, the flight sim is a good way to test out some of the things you wouldn't want to attempt in real life.
2017-2-16
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183054 ft
United Kingdom

You could set a points of interest circle, the drone will fly in a circle on its own then bring it down slowly on the throttle.
Return to Pmode when it gets lower and retake control yourself.
2017-2-16
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

There is not a problem doing what you want to do.  There is no danger of a CSC.  In order to do a CSC you have to simultaneously perform 4 different actions, with 100% stick deflection.  Ask yourself what moves you need to do to perform your desired maneuver.  Worst case, maybe you could satisfy two or three of the conditions.

If you want to do a counter-clockwise circular move to the right, you would be pushing the right stick right, while pushing the right stick slightly forward.  As you go through 360° you would be moving the right stick in a counter-clockwise circular pattern (if you were hitting the full diagonals you would be flying a square orbit around the centre!)  The only time your sticks would conceivably be at 100% is straight up, down, left or right.  At the 45° diagonal you would be at about 60% deflection.  Since it never gets to exactly 100%, CSC is impossible, even without considering where the left stick is positioned.  Manually flying an accurate circular orbit isn't that easy, it is better left to an automated advanced flight mode to do it for you.

For the left stick, you would face the aircraft to the centre of your circular orbit by slightly yawing the left stick to the left at the same time.  Unless you were flying a super-tight circle which required 100% yaw, and needed to come down super-fast, you wouldn't get to 100%.  For this stick, a full diagonal deflection is conceivable.  Still a CSC won't happen unless you also do a corresponding action on the other stick.  A simple way to avoid this is not to yaw and/or descend so fast.  Even up to 99% deflection and the CSC is still impossible.  It has to be 100%.

I can see you might feel you are getting a little close for comfort for your maneuver, but you aren't in that much danger.  A full CSC would put the aircraft in a fast back and side corkscrew into the ground, not a forward circular orbit.

Seeing that you are flying a Pro, it could be advantageous to make sure you are on the latest firmware - 1.10.90 - which gives you a 3 second delay in CSC stick positions before turning off the motors.  Even if you did accidentally touch that combination of stick positions for a moment while making your circular movements, it wouldn't shut down.  In the absolute state of paranoia if you are legitimately flying it close to the critical position, there are 3Dprinted gate locks you can put over the controller sticks that puts a physical obstruction on the down-diagonal positions so you can only get to 90% or so.
2017-2-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Pulling the sticks to the bottom center is one move.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-17
Use props
Dharmmy
lvl.1

Nigeria

Thank you very much. The comments made sense. There is no way am gonna pull those sticks to the extreme when am shooting considering how sensitive the phantom reacts to slight movements on the RC. I just digested that after reading the comments, thanks. Are there any good maneuvers I can undertake. I have had enough of the forward, backward, left and right movement. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
2017-2-17
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-16 07:44
Are you aware of the point of interest mode?  There are a number of IOC modes - see your manual.

You could use smart modes and some automation, also you could put your fingers on the lower left and right.
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules