Anyone Have some Information on the GLUED IN SD CARD ?
12Next >
5066 46 2017-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
Canada

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-5-18
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-18
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Yeah saw that on breakdown video while back. That's where all the flight data is kept (the dat files you dl from assistant). I would probably delete those before sold my mavic to someone else, just the dat on flights made, keep any other files. It's probably the best way for dji to do this, fast storage with the least amount of real estate.

Not sure on the usb port. Maybe something used in testing during construction.
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

TrollsSlayer Posted at 2017-5-18 08:18
Man what a 'Great Catch'! Good Job!

I've been reading up on some very vague information that does make some sense as far as the SD card
storing .Dat files , The thing that doesn't make sense is that DJI is using a SD card ???? it is also connected
to the Flight Controller Board ????   
Pretty bad design if they have to glue in an SD card , I've never seen anything like this in my life and I have seen some pretty wild stuff you cant even imagine !!!

2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-18 08:24
Yeah saw that on breakdown video while back. That's where all the flight data is kept (the dat files you dl from assistant). I would probably delete those before sold my mavic to someone else, just the dat on flights made, keep any other files. It's probably the best way for dji to do this, fast storage with the least amount of real estate.

Not sure on the usb port. Maybe something used in testing during construction.

Not sure on the usb port. Maybe something used in testing during construction
The USB port I can Understand
But an SD card Glued into a circuit ???????
These SD cards are produced in the Ca-billion-zillion at a time No Checking if there good or not
and the life expectance is nill  you can land softly and it can still have a problem
Don't forget about it making contact with a Static Charge
Hippoz , you seen this in electronic circuitry B4 ?????
2017-5-18
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-18 08:38
Not sure on the usb port. Maybe something used in testing during construction
The USB port I can Understand
But an SD card Glued into a circuit ???????

Well have to look at it economically. The sd card nowdays is mass produced. They probably factored weight and most importantly price. They could have put in a spring socket for it .
2017-5-18
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Norway

2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-18 08:48
Well have to look at it economically. The sd card nowdays is mass produced. They probably factored weight and most importantly price. They could have put in a spring socket for it .

Well that's what I was trying to get at -- But I just wanted to see if you have ever came across any thing
like this ?
Weight come on my brother lets be real loll
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-18 08:48

This is a $1200.00 System not a $200 toy
I expected a little more but never this
Goes to show -- NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY THE COVER
This is why I'm ripping it apart  
2017-5-18
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The glued-in SD card is common to DJI flight controllers. If you take the Inspire LightBridge to pieces you will find the same thing there.

I suspect using a dab of silicon on the SD card is probably a wise precaution as it eliminates any posibility of disruption especially in the event of a hard landing or other impact
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

TrollsSlayer Posted at 2017-5-18 08:52
That is why I never give up information, store information, sync or relay information or use the cloud.
Once the AC land, I download the info and delete everything. Computers, I take out the hard drive, chips, and then discard them.

Wahahahah And I thought I was to excessive protecting my info loll
Dammmmmm  
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

DarrenE Posted at 2017-5-18 09:17
The glued-in SD card is common to DJI flight controllers. If you take the Inspire LightBridge to pieces you will find the same thing there.

I suspect using a dab of silicon on the SD card is probably a wise precaution as it eliminates any posibility of disruption especially in the event of a hard landing or other impact

Might as will let you know the Phantom also has the same thing but it is put in place with a metal clip
The Mavic on the other hand from what I see , it's just placed on top of it's position silicon is then applied
the Shielding can is then snapped in placed on top of it ????
My question was, what is it being used for ??? and why an SD card if you have any other info on it ??
2017-5-18
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Netherlands

2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

DJI -Ken received your message --- Understood --- Thanks
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Canada

TrollsSlayer Posted at 2017-5-18 09:31
Don't get me started. My wife worked at the VA hospital when she was doing her rotation and then after 15 years she got a letter saying: hey, sorry but someone took a hard drive that had all the doctors information including SS#
Here a code so you check your credit report for free to see if your identity got stolen??? Sorry for the inconvenience!

That's Nothing to Joke about or in any way FUNNY AT ALL !!!!!!!
2017-5-18
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

It's recording flight data (which is why it's plugged into the flight controller), also stores various files and data as already mentioned here. Pull it out and have a look with a sd reader. Also plug in the usb and you can see some more stuff.

An SD card makes perfect sense, cheap, reliable, fast transfer, high capacity, standard communication protocols.

It could all be compressed into a SoC but the costs would be significant, why build something again when existing technology works very well. Also allows flight data to be retrieved easily even if the rest of the electronics are fried, just take the card out of a dead mavic and read the data.

Not easy to extract and read an eeprom data, they can also be easily fired / corrupted if there's a problem on their host circuits.

Not sure where you got you're reliability information about SD cards, sure they'll out last many of the other components on a mavic.

Get the feeling DJI engineers know what they are doing, they've been doing it a while
2017-5-18
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Canada

2017-5-18
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-18 09:05
This is a $1200.00 System not a $200 toy
I expected a little more but never this
Goes to show -- NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY THE COVER

Ah have someone coming by, were going to go eat and fly today.

I use a pickit 3 to program, and in eagle when designing, I use digikey to locate parts. Picking parts you can always go with obsolete reels and get a big discount. But now your design has a end of life when you run out of that reel. Have to design a new board. I'm sure the board designers had a reason to use a micro sd like that. The glue as posted was probably to hold it in place during a crash. Spring loaded wouldn't work in that case. End of the day it works!
2017-5-18
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Dear moderators,

I understand you have to moderate.
But with so many "Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield" this topic is pretty useless and totally unreadble.

2017-5-18
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Switzerland

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-18 12:39
Dear moderators,

I understand you have to moderate.

I tend to agree. At least leave the useful posts for us to read.
2017-5-18
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

2017-5-18
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Aye, RIP skunkworx and dronist. Matt WIN! lol
2017-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-18 15:46
Aye, RIP skunkworx and dronist. Matt WIN! lol

Can't believe SkunkWerks got banned, he was just caught up in the crossfire and he was very helpful round here...
2017-5-18
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Ah they'll be back. My sisters the same way, she can make you believe the sky is purple. Just psychos man, and they get away with everything.
2017-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-18 16:21
Ah they'll be back. My sisters the same way, she can make you believe the sky is purple. Just psychos man, and they get away with everything.

? Is it not purple, I don't wanna know.....
2017-5-18
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-18 16:21

Couple of questions,

How someone get banned if they are contributing to the forum?

How do you add the mavic icon to avatar?

Thank you.
2017-5-18
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Contribute all you like, it doesnt give you immunity from being banned for being a deckhead.

About time some of these clowns had a break anyway.

It gets a bit tiring listening to the same bunch trying to brown nose DJI forums.

2017-5-18
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

What did just happened!?

Regarding a glued SD card I see no problem. As many people pointed out this before, why use a more expensive and probably less reliable system when you have something out there in the market that is already working. What I mean is that, in engineering we learn that in simplicity is where the beauty lays. And simplicity is not synonymous of cheap.

Cheers!

2017-5-18
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-5-18 16:44
Couple of questions,

You can get banned for a lot of reasons
Just read this post http://forum.dji.com/thread-71515-1-1.html and then you are safe.

Regarding the avatar/personal icon.
Top right - click on personal homepage
On the personal homepage on the left click on Settings

And just upload yours.
ONLY somehow this doesn't work on firefox, but with chrome it should work.
2017-5-19
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-5-18 16:44
Couple of questions,

To add the Mavic Icon and the flight-distance, you need to own the drone and sync your flight-records via the DJI Go App. Just tab on the "arrow with the abstract compass" near the "Go Fly"-Button and then sync your records by pressing the cloud-icon in the upper right corner. This is how it works on android, iOs maybe a little bit different :-)
2017-5-19
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Romania

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-19 01:06
To add the Mavic Icon and the flight-distance, you need to own the drone and sync your flight-records via the DJI Go App. Just tab on the "arrow with the abstract compass" near the "Go Fly"-Button and then sync your records by pressing the cloud-icon in the upper right corner. This is how it works on android, iOs maybe a little bit different :-)

Thank you.
2017-5-19
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Romania

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-19 00:55
You can get banned for a lot of reasons
Just read this post http://forum.dji.com/thread-71515-1-1.html and then you are safe.

Thank you.
2017-5-19
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want to read what someone wrote after they are banned, simply log in from mobile.  Mobile can still see all the banned comments.

ALSO - they will be unbanned.  DJI generally does a temporary ban to allow people to "cool off".  

2017-5-19
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

Just want to add, from Rules:

7. Use of the DJI logo in avatars is not allowed.

DJI Forum Rules
2017-5-19
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-18 16:11
Can't believe SkunkWerks got banned, he was just caught up in the crossfire and he was very helpful round here...

I agree.  That seems to happen too often to the wrong people ;-)
2017-5-19
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Why was Skunk banned? Im sure it had nothing to do with him bringing attention to the use of unreliable hardware in DJI products!
2017-5-19
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-19 05:39
Why was Skunk banned? Im sure it had nothing to do with him bringing attention to the use of unreliable hardware in DJI products!

If we're back on topic, what unreliable hardware is that? SD cards? Never had a problem, expected life 10-15 years.
2017-5-19
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-5-19 05:47
If we're back on topic, what unreliable hardware is that? SD cards? Never had a problem, expected life 10-15 years.

Skunks point, before it was deleted, was that they are unreliably produced (produced in masses and no quality control) and have the habit of failing after a short period of time ( way before the 10 year life expectancy).

Skunk also seems to have some experience with electrical components and how they work in detail. I myself, like you I would assume, am not an expert on SD cards, their reliability, or how they are manufactured and unfortunately the man who seemed to have some knowledge was banned for sharing it, or so it appears.

Whether they are reliable or not I fail to see how its justifiable to ban someone for sharing the information.. assuming thats what he was banned for.. idk.. which is why I asked.
2017-5-19
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-19 09:47
Skunks point, before it was deleted, was that they are unreliably produced (produced in masses and no quality control) and have the habit of failing after a short period of time ( way before the 10 year life expectancy).

Skunk also seems to have some experience with electrical components and how they work in detail. I myself, like you I would assume, am not an expert on SD cards, their reliability, or how they are manufactured and unfortunately the man who seemed to have some knowledge was banned for sharing it, or so it appears.

Thanks, I can understand questioning the source of these cards, and are they good ones or not. Very valid point, and something I will take on board.

Assumptions and seems can be misleading

So the question is not about "Why is there a SD card?", the question is "Is it any good?"

Your second assumption is flawed. I think it was the red-dots and curry comments, maybe the pedo jokes, maybe posting real troll posts in 15 of my topics, the list went on...

Edit - are there reports coming out of the internal card failing?
2017-5-19
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

AACY Posted at 2017-5-18 20:22
What did just happened!?

Regarding a glued SD card I see no problem. As many people pointed out this before, why use a more expensive and probably less reliable system when you have something out there in the market that is already working. What I mean is that, in engineering we learn that in simplicity is where the beauty lays. And simplicity is not synonymous of cheap.

Also it's more tamper resistant :-)
2017-5-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules