Why do you fly your Mavic?
1036 16 2017-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpicyLobster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

I bought my Mavic to film the cool places I go on my trips. I find that I don’t get to fly it as much as I would like and often end up flying the same area near my parents’ house when I visit them. I started thinking about why I fly the same area so often and why I don’t put in more effort to take Mavic film trips.

i think I fly for a few reasons: to share my adventures, to explore the areas around me from a new perspective and also for the feeling of excitement and nervousness I get every time I fly.

So I am just curious about how and why other enthusiasts of this board fly their Mavic and how they feel about it? Just looking for some inspiration I guess

2017-6-14
Use props
thunderdan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 356496 ft
United States

I've had my Mavic for about three months and I have flown a few other quad copters prior.  When I first got the Mavic, I flew line of sight for fun without a display.  Then I started to try FPV flying and had a blast.  It took me about a month to get comfortable with the Mavic and its features such as sport mode, RTH, tracking.  Lately I have been flying to get great photos or videos.  It is so easy to pack I take it on trips even if I may not be flying.  Drones have moved photography forward leaps and bounds.  You can not get the same picture from a hand held camera that you can get from the air.

My mavic is currently out for repair with a gimbal problem and I'm missing it as I type.  I can't wait to get it back.
2017-6-14
Use props
Andy in SW Fla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338 ft

United States

Just as all other fathers on the planet, I am the father of the most amazing kids. I also think we live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I use Youtube as a digital diary. The kids really have a nice time looking back at our old adventures. A drone gave us a very cool new perspective. And most importantly the drone captured the kids imagination and made them want to learn about something new.      Skip to the 6 minute mark to start the drone footage. Boat driver is a 12 year old.  Shot on a P3 (not ours). This is the trip that made us want a drone!  To answer the question in as few words as possible - Digital Diary for the kids.
2017-6-14
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

I fly to get the unique shot! I do love hovering above the ocean and enjoying watching waves crash from the above.
2017-6-14
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Be cause its much smaller and cheaper (if lost) than the other quads I have
2017-6-14
Use props
garyphayes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27840676 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For me it is very much about flying over relatively unexplored areas which are difficult to get to by any other means... eg:
2017-6-14
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

I'm fresh blood, about 5 weeks in.  My brother tried to get me into droning about 3 years ago but I wanted the tech to get better before I plunked down the grand.  
Saw the mavic at a friend's wedding and it was love at first sight.  I ordered it on Amazon on the spot.  
Now I'm finding my local park to become old and tiresome and, like you, am beginning to wonder how much it is going to cost me to go to all of the places that I will eventually deem 'filmable'.  
I'm still working through all of the available features in DJIGo 4 and Litchi, am preparing to buy the polarization filters next probably because I live next to a delta and want to get some nice water/sunset shots.
And waaaay back in the back of my mind, I figure I just might get a commercial license for the next step, and maybe try to make some money doing it... Probably not, but you never know if you don't try.
2017-6-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

I fly the Mavic because i bought it.
I bought it because everyone else was buying it.

Best thing about my Mavic is that it opened the door to real drones and exposed the control that DJI still wish to have over your hobby.
2017-6-14
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly my Mavic to reach and see the unreachable and see the unseen.  I fly the Mavic to see what the birds see and sort of feel how they feel when they fly high.  It is my sense of freedom where I can spread my wings and just be free.
2017-6-14
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

it's a skill I would like to master ...also I personally have issues with height but the mavic because it is so stable  help me with my vertigo and would like to add it opens up a new world I would never climb a 40ft tower but i can see the view from there with my mavic
Above and Beyond....C

I can see over 5 miles

I can see over 5 miles
2017-6-14
Use props
Rooivalk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8613842 ft
South Africa

I bought the Mavic for the distance it can fly. I can check on my fishing spots and reduce my carbon footprint and save money. An added bonus is that I get footage of whales, dolphins, sharks, seals and being out in nature.
2017-6-14
Use props
Stooky
lvl.2
United States

For traveling and seeing new aspects of the area I live, also recording Automotive shows and racing events I go to
2017-6-14
Use props
shorey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 445630 ft
United Kingdom

Drones have always fascinated me and I love the different view you can get compared with a normal camera. I fly around my house and neighborhood more than I probably should, but there is something about flying the Mavic that I find so relaxing.
2017-6-15
Use props
sundance87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 423848 ft
Switzerland

Relaxing... until the app has a hiccup and my heart stops for a brief moment

I'm a photo enthusiast and the Mavic gives me the opportunity to see the world from a different perspective.
2017-6-15
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

I'm in the same helicopter here. I got mine because I can't get over these recurring dreams of flying around like Superman. Through the eye of the Mavic, I have almost taken that fantasy into reality! Weird thing is, I'm one that is scared of heights, but yearns to fly... go figure.  After a few weeks, I find I tend to fly mostly close to home in the open fields. There is a few ideas I have for filming in my area... but can't seem to pull loose of my comfort zone. I feel mostly afraid of loosing my bird, out of reach, on a mountain side... or down the drink... or all the other scary thread stories I read around the inter web. I can't wanna loose my bird! I fly mostly for the enjoyment, and to fulfill my dream fantasy, but learning the creative (video) side of this bird has pulled me into a whole other realm. Can only film so much in one area. Gonna have to step out further sooner or later.  
2017-6-15
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Ok - noone admits here he bough the Mavic to spy his neighbours' wife at the swimming pool?
2017-6-15
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... you don't need a Mavic to take a peek over the fence {:4_181:}
2017-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules