2229 25 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doobry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I live right next to a small private airfield and I obviously can't fly in my garden, I get that but I have a huge field a mile away that is perfect for this, it worked fine this morning under the yellow zone authorisation I got yesterday but this afternoon it just refused to fly in the exact same spot. It doesn't give me any option to extend my authorisation and on the relevant page it says it's still active! Please fix this inconsistency.
2017-6-17
Use props
harrismix
lvl.1
United States

I am JUST inside the Walt Disney World NFZ as I have just found out - the Spark won't take off in my back yard
2017-6-17
Use props
miroki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4432 ft
United States

I just found out i am within five miles radiance of an "unpaved airport". luckily i am allowed to take off.
2017-6-17
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Austria

DJI DRONE POLICE IS  
2017-6-17
Use props
Doobry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, it's a bit much. I'm not stupid, I should be allowed to fly the thing in my own garden with a restriction of 40-50 feet altitude. If my drone hit a plane at 50 feet above my garden, both the pilot and I have much bigger things to worry about..
2017-6-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Doobry Posted at 2017-6-18 01:30
Yeah, it's a bit much. I'm not stupid, I should be allowed to fly the thing in my own garden with a restriction of 40-50 feet altitude. If my drone hit a plane at 50 feet above my garden, both the pilot and I have much bigger things to worry about..

It is really getting ridiculous mate. That is why I did NOT update yet even with all the APP nagging on me to do it every time I turn the damm thing on!
2017-6-19
Use props
Monarch
New

United States

miroki Posted at 2017-6-17 13:02
I just found out i am within five miles radiance of an "unpaved airport". luckily i am allowed to take off.

newbie here - can you be under a certain elevation and still fly in a no fly zone ?
As an example my place is in rural Idaho, yet within 5 miles of an airport, if
I’m out in the back country and under 150ft or so am I still required to notify airport
2018-3-8
Use props
lvl.3
United States

harrismix Posted at 2017-6-17 09:02
I am JUST inside the Walt Disney World NFZ as I have just found out - the Spark won't take off in my back yard

Know the feeling.  Our townhouse is about 400 meters inside the north edge of the NFZ, right off Winter Garden Vineland Rd..  I never tried my P3P at the townhouse when I was down last year.  

Was just looking at the NFZ this morning.  Funny though, I was reading the TFR and it is a 3 mile radius from the Magic Kingdom.  If you look at the maps, Studios , most of Animal Kingdom, Disney Springs and the water parks are outside of the NFZ.  Always heard that the NFZ was Disney World but seems it is primarily the Magic Kingdom.

FWIW:  I make about 4 or 5 trips down each year from Indiana as I work part time at the Magic Kingdom.
2018-3-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

If the DJI GO 4 Application tells me I'm in a No Fly Zone then I don't fly.
2018-3-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-8 11:39
If the DJI GO 4 Application tells me I'm in a No Fly Zone then I don't fly.

I'd rather err on the side of caution even if the App has a glitch or not.
2018-3-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-8 11:39
I'd rather err on the side of caution even if the App has a glitch or not.

Usually the rule here in the US is No Fly Zones permit to within 5 miles of an airport, as well as National Parks and Sports Stadiums.
2018-3-8
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

I am scared to do the update because of the geo-fencing implications.

I wish there could be a 100' ceiling with a smaller radius, because you're right... if anything else is flying that low, there are going to be major issues.
2018-3-8
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-8 11:41
Usually the rule here in the US is No Fly Zones permit to within 5 miles of an airport, as well as National Parks and Sports Stadiums.

And prisons.  I now know where all the prisons are thanks to my handy dandy Spark.
2018-3-8
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

It is unfair that a "airport" that is used seasonally would be on the list. I have all kinds of dirt runway airports all around my area mostly used during grow season for crop dusting. or at least change them to a 2 mile radius. Just my 2 cents.
2018-3-8
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Write your Congressional representative, this isn't DJI it's federal law in the US. It has nothing to do with fairness - it is all based on safety of manned aircraft.

The laws are only to get stricter - especially with the high profile incidents recently.https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=135967&page=1&mobile=2#pid1237838?
Previous post might be an interesting read

2018-3-8
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.3

United States

I’m assuming there is no way to bypass the app and fly anyway? Maybe try using the Spark Pro app?  I was going to try to fly mine around Pop Century and we called before I brought it, they very nicely told me to leave it at home or I would be fined and maybe arrested.
2018-3-8
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Tooter Turtle Posted at 2018-3-8 18:11
It is unfair that a "airport" that is used seasonally would be on the list. I have all kinds of dirt runway airports all around my area mostly used during grow season for crop dusting. or at least change them to a 2 mile radius. Just my 2 cents.

Yep. I am in the same boat in my area. There are several small airports like that in my area and I live 4.5 miles from one.  The runways are unpaved, no control towers, and it appears to be unmanned. I thought I'd call them to ask them what the best means of notifying them would be since they have no control tower. The first number was out of service. The second number went into voicemail so I left them a message. This was two weeks ago and I've heard nothing back. smh

Also slightly further from me is a heliport that shows up on that list. It belongs to a military base that was shut down 10 years ago. The heliport is now closed and there is no contact number. For the life of me I can't even figure out why it's on the list. LOL.
2018-3-8
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

The Government is involved = SOL!
2018-3-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-8 17:43
And prisons.  I now know where all the prisons are thanks to my handy dandy Spark.

Very funny that's very funny.
2018-3-10
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

What if you are flying in your own backyard staying under 30 feet  or so?
2018-3-11
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

I am no where near an unpaved landing strip, I live in the middle of the city.  Yet, half of my flights I get a notification telling me I am close to restricted airspace.
2018-3-11
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Dji app is not perfect or always accurate in showing restricted airspace in the US - the only official source is from the FAA

B4ufly app (either on iOS or Android) is the only official FAA app and source for drones
2018-3-12
Use props
brasda91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57159 ft
United States

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-3-8 19:07
Yep. I am in the same boat in my area. There are several small airports like that in my area and I live 4.5 miles from one.  The runways are unpaved, no control towers, and it appears to be unmanned. I thought I'd call them to ask them what the best means of notifying them would be since they have no control tower. The first number was out of service. The second number went into voicemail so I left them a message. This was two weeks ago and I've heard nothing back. smh

Also slightly further from me is a heliport that shows up on that list. It belongs to a military base that was shut down 10 years ago. The heliport is now closed and there is no contact number. For the life of me I can't even figure out why it's on the list. LOL.

And your app is not letting you fly?
2018-3-12
Use props
Tervist
Second Officer
United States

brasda91 Posted at 2018-3-12 12:13
And your app is not letting you fly?

I am able to take off. But I do get a message that states I am in a Warning zone (unpaved airports) and to fly with caution. My frustration came when I called the contact number provided for this little airport to learn more about them and any procedures they have in effect for drone enthusiasts in the area and no one answered the phone. LOL. Since they are unpaved they may not even be operational in the winter months so I will try contacting them again once the weather gets better.
2018-3-12
Use props
brasda91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57159 ft
United States

So you can acknowledge the Warning and go on about your flying? Sounds irritating but may be all you can do at this point. Maybe drive to the airfield and see if there is any contact info posted locally.
2018-3-12
Use props
Tervist
Second Officer
United States

brasda91 Posted at 2018-3-12 12:48
So you can acknowledge the Warning and go on about your flying? Sounds irritating but may be all you can do at this point. Maybe drive to the airfield and see if there is any contact info posted locally.

Yes, I can go about flying with the Warning message. It disappears after a few seconds. But it's no big deal to drive the half mile to a field that's out of that Warning zone. Good idea to pay a visit to that little airport.
2018-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules