Videos with red artifacts and vertical lines
1317 23 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
costamanjr
New

United States

Hello, I have a recently been experiencing red artifacts in dark sections of video as well as vertical lines throughout the raw video. I reset all camera settings and upgraded firmware but the problem has continued. Look at the video to see the vertical lines. Any idea of what this is?

2017-6-19
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Video says unavailable. You gotta make it public.
2017-6-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, private video
2017-6-19
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

First off try replacing the lightening cable. That fixes it 90% of the time.
2017-6-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-19 16:53
First off try replacing the lightening cable. That fixes it 90% of the time.

Replacing the Lightning cable (only used on Apple devices) would be rather pointless if he is using an Android device. And in any event, it has nothing to do with the artifacts he is talking of, that is a camera issue.
2017-6-19
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-19 17:58
Replacing the Lightning cable (only used on Apple devices) would be rather pointless if he is using an Android device. And in any event, it has nothing to do with the artifacts he is talking of, that is a camera issue.

You gleamed that from 2 sentences? Wow, your pretty good especially since what he is describing is exactly what happens when the data cable is bad. No doubt it could be a camera issue but there is absolutely no way that you can know that for sure so why not rule out the simple stuff instead of having him replace the camera first? And man you aint gotta be a smart ass, im sure he could figure out what I was talking about.
2017-6-20
Use props
costamanjr
New

United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-20 12:22
You gleamed that from 2 sentences? Wow, your pretty good especially since what he is describing is exactly what happens when the data cable is bad. No doubt it could be a camera issue but there is absolutely no way that you can know that for sure so why not rule out the simple stuff instead of having him replace the camera first? And man you aint gotta be a smart ass, im sure he could figure out what I was talking about.

Sorry...Just made the video public. What do you think?

2017-6-20
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh my... maybe I'm getting old... Except for the horrible horizon at an extreme angle, I don't see any of the issues you mentioned.  I watched three times at the highest resolution, full screen.  Help an old man out?
2017-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-20 12:22

I have a lifetime of experience in diagnosing problems with cameras, and I have seen and heard the same issue on here. It is a camera issue, nothing to do with the USB cable, and as such, he needs to send it to DJI for repair. And now the video is public, it confirms the issue.
2017-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

costamanjr Posted at 2017-6-20 15:01
Sorry...Just made the video public. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrhs7KbubdU

Yes, that is definitely a camera problem, you should send it to DJI for repair.
2017-6-20
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-20 15:32
Yes, that is definitely a camera problem, you should send it to DJI for repair.

Ok, now I'm crying a little, whimpering too.... I just don't see any problems.  Me, apparently too old to be worthy.
2017-6-20
Use props
costamanjr
New

United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-6-20 15:26
Oh my... maybe I'm getting old... Except for the horrible horizon at an extreme angle, I don't see any of the issues you mentioned.  I watched three times at the highest resolution, full screen.  Help an old man out?

it starts at the 4 sec mark near the middle of the screen on the water
2017-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-6-20 15:34
Ok, now I'm crying a little, whimpering too.... I just don't see any problems.  Me, apparently too old to be worthy.

Look in the sky to the right of frame in the last few seconds of the clip.
2017-6-20
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Whew!  Ok, I barely see the problem on the water (lets just write that off to old eyes)... but I FINALLY noticed the problem in the upper right corner in the last few seconds of the frame.  Thanks for the pointers guys.

The vertical lines seemed to be happening in areas of overexposure.  Interesting.   Bad processing of the areas that go out of broadcast legal.  Both problems only appear during side to side motion (unless I'm still missing stuff)... and the vertical lines disappear after the motion stops.  This makes the problem feel like a bandwidth issue that is showing itself in an untypical way.  
When I shoot with my P4 at full 4k, I get a shimmering effect sometimes, predominantly when doing up and down gimballing... which goes away after the motion stops.  So I never shoot in full 4k and the problem is gone.   Have you considered trying to replicate the problem in a controlled environment?  For example. shooting a white piece of paper (not flying, just holding your drone)... do a couple of side to side motions to see if the problem occurs?  Maybe overexposing and seeing if the problem occurs?

I have more questions.... have you noticed this problem when just watching the raw footage in a video player or have you only seen this problem after exporting from an editing application?  Have you tried different video players?  I'm asking because Iv'e been a video producer for 22+ years and I've seen all kinds of issues that arise with a codec that might not be fully supported in an OS or application, or problems with a computer that can't quite keep up with the bandwidth, etc.  Just wondering if you have ruled out your computer or editing app.
It would be interesting to do some testing...
Have you experimented to see if this problem occurs when using other presets?  (Vivid, Standard, etc).  
How about other resolutions?  
What happens if you reduce the sharpness setting a few notches... still see the problem in areas of overexposure?
Have you tried a different video card?

2017-6-21
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-20 15:27
I have a lifetime of experience in diagnosing problems with cameras, and I have seen and heard the same issue on here. It is a camera issue, nothing to do with the USB cable, and as such, he needs to send it to DJI for repair. And now the video is public, it confirms the issue.

Interesting, so that would make you about 20 years old? Regardless of the issue you can act like a civilized human being assuming that you are. Why do fell like you need to attack somebody for offering a suggestion? Does it make you feel like a big man?
2017-6-21
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Slow memory cards have also caused image issues. Do you get artifacts in 1080p, or 2.7k?
2017-6-21
Use props
zilla
lvl.2

United States

IS there a CMOS chip in the camera? Those chips have always produced artifacts when panning across a lot of detail.
2017-6-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

zilla Posted at 2017-6-21 05:41
IS there a CMOS chip in the camera? Those chips have always produced artifacts when panning across a lot of detail.

The P4 has a 1/2.3” CMOS sensor.
2017-6-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

costamanjr Posted at 2017-6-20 15:38
it starts at the 4 sec mark near the middle of the screen on the water

If you could answer Mabou2's questions in post #14, it would be appreciated. In addition, did you notice this right out of the box or was it after a firmware update or a hard landing?
2017-6-21
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-21 04:59
Interesting, so that would make you about 20 years old? Regardless of the issue you can act like a civilized human being assuming that you are. Why do fell like you need to attack somebody for offering a suggestion? Does it make you feel like a big man?

Welcome Duchunter!  Just a friendly note... this little community forum has a small handful of familiar names, we kind of all know each other (at least here), and we are all generally pretty civil.  Outside of this forum, other forums on the internet get mean spirited pretty quickly.  We are pretty lucky here.  We can also be direct with each other, and maybe sometimes vent a little, but there is no need for you to attack Geebax, he really didn't say anything that insulting.  It will work against you here to attack anyone, and sooner than later the DJI moderator will simply ban you.  So maybe just try to keep a more productive tone.  Again, just a friendly note.  We like to have new people here, and it would be great to have you contribute.  Take care,  Matt
2017-6-21
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-6-21 06:53
Welcome Duchunter!  Just a friendly note... this little community forum has a small handful of familiar names, we kind of all know each other (at least here), and we are all generally pretty civil.  Outside of this forum, other forums on the internet get mean spirited pretty quickly.  We are pretty lucky here.  We can also be direct with each other, and maybe sometimes vent a little, but there is no need for you to attack Geebax, he really didn't say anything that insulting.  It will work against you here to attack anyone, and sooner than later the DJI moderator will simply ban you.  So maybe just try to keep a more productive tone.  Again, just a friendly note.  We like to have new people here, and it would be great to have you contribute.  Take care,  Matt

And you are? A mod, an admin? Whats your affiliation here? Dude attacked me and I have every right to defend myself so take that however you want.
2017-6-21
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-21 07:00
And you are? A mod, an admin? Whats your affiliation here? Dude attacked me and I have every right to defend myself so take that however you want.

I'm just a relatively established member of this community (who has seen many people get banned), trying to help someone who I see heading toward being banned.  
FWIW, there is nothing that is an attack in what Geebax said.  His opinion (which I don't completely agree with) is that your suggestion of replacing the cable was "relatively pointless".

Also FWIW: I agree with you that there is no reason not to try options, especially easy ones like switching a cable, before throwing in the towel and sending the drone in for repair.  (Though replacing the lightning cable has nothing to do with what is being recorded to the internal card.)
"Relatively Pointless", isn't an attack, its a contradictory and direct opinion.
Calling someone a "Smart A$$" is an attack.

Well, I tried to do the right thing.  All the best.

2017-6-21
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-6-21 07:01
Just a relatively established member of this community, trying to help someone who I see heading toward being banned.  Well, I tried to do the right thing.  All the best.

Ill grant you that what he said wasnt that bad and neither was my reply but trying to make someone feel stupid doesnt exactly fit the friendly community that you described. I know some people dont like it when new people show up and they feel like they gotta put them in their place but I aint the one. Ive been nothing but friendly and I was trying to offer a suggestion and dude attacks me for getting the name of a cable wrong. You really dont think his comment was out of line? He could have corrected me and that would have been fine but trying to make someone look stupid is uncalled for and my reply was tame compared to what I should have said.
2017-6-21
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duch, I'm curious, did he edit his comment after he posted it?  I don't see anything looking like an insult to you.  Maybe he could have been more tactful than saying replacing the Lightning cable is "Relatively Pointless", but that comment just doesn't play as an insult in my opinion.  Certainly didn't warrant the attack responses you gave him in following posts of yours.

That said, I understand how you read his comment as dismissive (Bad Geebax!)... but Geebax has been a great contributor to the community, maybe a bit terse and direct sometimes, but a worthy addition this forum.
Maybe we should stop the back-n-forth about this?  I think we are hijacking the thread now....  Can we all just get along?
2017-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules