1821 17 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DP Mavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 737497 ft
Canada

Hi all,

I purchased my Mavic Pro drone almost 2 months ago. I'm playing a lot with it,testing out every single features.

Yesterday,I performed a test, just to try the safety feature of the mavic. When the battery was to about 15%,I flew the drone about 200 m away, and I turned the remote  controller off (to simulate signal lost). The drone actually started the RTH procedure, as expected. Once at the home position, it started lowering its altitude to land  (so far everything went as expected). However, it stopped descending at about 5 or 6 ft from the ground and kept howering in place. At that moment, I assumed that the drone considered the ground surface not adequate to land (landing protection was turned ON by the way). Their was nothing wrong with the ground surface, but this is not the point I'm worried about the most for now. What worries me is that the drone kept hovering and never landed, even thought I wanted for several minutes, to ensure the battery level was below 10% (with the RC turned off, I had no indication of the battery level.) At one point, I decided to turn the remote controller ON to take a look a the battery level. When I regained connection, I then realized the battery level was at 3 %, and the drone was still hovering!!!

I immediately landed it manually so it wouldn't crash (only 5 or 6 ft height, but still, I don't want it the crash!).

So couple of concerns here:

- Is the landing protection setting overiding the low battery automatic landing?
- Does the mavic need to have connectivity with the RC in order to activate the low battery auto landing features ?
- Is this autolanding feature triggered by the RC or DJI app, or if it's built in the aircraft's firmware?

Any help or feedbacks appreciated.
2017-6-28
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

Maybe I am failing to see something here. You turned your remote off to simulate a loss of signal and flew the Mavic to critical battery, to prove what?

Here are a couple tips for safe UAV piloting:

Do not fly your quad to the point where it is engaging a critical battery RTH. It's hard on the batteries and unsafe.
Your Mavic typically requires you to authorize a landing either by a stick down or a swipe. This is what's known as control authority. Always maintain control authority.
While it is good to test safety features in controlled conditions, maybe try one at a time. Do not become a crash statistic.

Happy flying! Be safe and responsible.
2017-6-28
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Well the only thing I can think of is that you may have briefly touched the throttle stick. This would have caused the drone to hover until told to land.
2017-6-28
Use props
Pitando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68284 ft
Sweden

ephektz Posted at 2017-6-28 21:49
Maybe I am failing to see something here. You turned your remote off to simulate a loss of signal and flew the Mavic to critical battery, to prove what?

I really dotn unedrstand why people keep replying with "you should not, is not recomended...blablabla".

if the mavic funtion is to land if the battery in too low why dont land?
If the mavic funtion is to land if lost remote connection, why dont land?

The issue here is not that remote was turn off, is that after lost connection it didnt land. or why diditn land with 3% battery?
2017-6-29
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

ephektz Posted at 2017-6-28 21:49

You seem to be missing the whole point. It was a CONTROLLED test! What IF your drone get a big headwind and battery is running low but still makes it back, what if your remote breaks, what if there is interference...

It should have landed.
2017-6-29
Use props
-Beo-
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87657 ft
Hungary

Wpuld you mind posting the log please? I understand your test,  I would like to see the log, maybe I see something there.
2017-6-29
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
United States

Pitando Posted at 2017-6-29 00:30
I really dotn unedrstand why people keep replying with "you should not, is not recomended...blablabla".

OP posted an issue without posting a log. None of us can reach through the Internet to check his settings. When someone doesn't provide enough basic information to adequately troubleshoot, I am going to assume that said person doesn't have enough understanding to be experienced to be performing said tests. So yea, "don't do that" is pretty good advice for an inexperienced pilot so that they do not become a crash statistic.

As much as DJI has lowered the barrier of entry in multi-rotor UAV's, simply buying one does not qualify you to be able to do all the things.
2017-6-29
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-6-29 00:37
You seem to be missing the whole point. It was a CONTROLLED test! What IF your drone get a big headwind and battery is running low but still makes it back, what if your remote breaks, what if there is interference...

It should have landed.

Are you certain it was a controlled test? We have no logs and no settings data, but we do have a couple paragraphs on how OP is concerned about the performance of their new Mavic.
2017-6-29
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

ephektz Posted at 2017-6-29 08:00
Are you certain it was a controlled test? We have no logs and no settings data, but we do have a couple paragraphs on how OP is concerned about the performance of their new Mavic.

ephektz - you jumped down his throat before it was even suggested that he should share his log. Take it easy on the guy, not everyone is as experienced as you are.

There are a lot of anomalies and weird occurrences that can happen with a MAVIC. I for one appreciate that other members of this forum are experimenting, testing and sharing their experiences.
2017-6-29
Use props
Pitando
lvl.2
Sweden

ephektz Posted at 2017-6-29 07:58
OP posted an issue without posting a log. None of us can reach through the Internet to check his settings. When someone doesn't provide enough basic information to adequately troubleshoot, I am going to assume that said person doesn't have enough understanding to be experienced to be performing said tests. So yea, "don't do that" is pretty good advice for an inexperienced pilot so that they do not become a crash statistic.

As much as DJI has lowered the barrier of entry in multi-rotor UAV's, simply buying one does not qualify you to be able to do all the things.

I agree that we should provide advice and i always take all of them even if i dont think are right. At least i can learn with others mistake.
And agree that logs must be provide to understand what really happen.

But why you say he is an inexperienced? Why you say he is not qualify?
He made a test, described very well and Mavic didnt do what it should do.

Now, my question, what Mavic should do in case of lost connectivity to the remote? RTH and Land?

What Mavic should do in case of critical low battery? Just hoover until battery end and then fall down?
2017-6-29
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-6-29 08:14
ephektz - you jumped down his throat before it was even suggested that he should share his log. Take it easy on the guy, not everyone is as experienced as you are.

There are a lot of anomalies and weird occurrences that can happen with a MAVIC. I for one appreciate that other members of this forum are experimenting, testing and sharing their experiences.

I didn't mean for it to come across as jumping down his throat. That was certainly not my intention!

2017-6-29
Use props
Pitando
lvl.2
Sweden

DP Mvic, please upload your logs as ephektz mention, im also curious to know hwat happen or if is another Mavic bug.
2017-6-29
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

This guy pulls into a gas station to ask for directions to someplace in the near vicinity.  He tells the gas station guy the place he has been driving around trying to find.  First thing the gas station guy does is ask the driver if he has a map.  The driver says, no.  The gas station guy ask the driver, how do you expect to find the place you're looking for without a map.  The driver says, I got directions earlier over the phone.  The gas station guy says, well, didn't you even bother to look up on a map before your left to make sure you knew where you were going.  The driver says no.  The gas station guy says, you could have run out of gas just driving around like that without a map to tell you were to go -- Don't you even realize that?  The driver says meekly, well no.  The driver looked over to his wife setting next to him and says, See, this is why men hate to ask directions at gas stations.

-Rodger
2017-6-29
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Pitando Posted at 2017-6-29 00:30

The idea is like having your car run out of gas to test to see if it is accurately reading the mileage. No need to put your aircraft at risk like that. Did you check the Go App to see when the aircraft is set up to automatically land when the battery runs out of power?
2017-6-29
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

There are plenty of stories of users losing connectivity and finding their Mavics had landed safely. Like others have stated, post your .DAT file where one of us can look at it to see if, in fact, the drone was hovering due to a landing protection operation or some other condition.
2017-6-29
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

OP there is very little love here for the curious , your supposed to be happy with whats delivered and just hope for the best.
I had very similar questions about behavior when connection was lost . Ended up getting nothing of any value.

I have flipped my transmitter off thre times in the past few weeks and the quad has always RTH and landed as expected, now I know. Hope you figure yours out.
2017-6-29
Use props
Swiss Tony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505459 ft
United Kingdom

ephektz Posted at 2017-6-29 07:58

For the "inexperienced" flyer, I would counter that getting to know how their AC performs and what it does in emergency situations under controlled conditions, is exactly the way to become a responsible and informed pilot. Better to know in advance than find out when it's hovering over a hazard, surely? I agree that it is frustrating when people don't remember to post logs, but the OP asked 3 questions which should be answered without them on this occasion. Knowing what your drone does when things go South is knowledge that could save a spendy replacement, damage to machine, people or property, and should be explored and shared readily.

OP, some data would be useful, I for one am interested in what your machine did on that flight, and I've been flying all sorts of AC for a whole bunch of years.
2017-7-7
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

I don't want to be piling on
I'll just say Once i was decenting on a low low battery with RC connected and on a return to home it just seem to hang there about 30ft up @7% I panic and pulled down on both stick
and yes the setting was set for the csc to be active on emergance mode
I can't tell you if all Mavic Stop RTH when low on battery but i learned two things that day...
#1 don't fly under %20 battery Never
#2 some parts for Mavic are expensive Gimble/Camera $350
Today I flew Mavic and found it will fly with one rotor Not damaged

Mavic in a tree

Mavic in a tree
2017-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules