Mavic Down!
1725 7 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StormCloud
lvl.1
Flight distance : 770295 ft
United States

Sooooo, took the mavic out for a flight today in a very familiar area. Launched from a park, flew for around 10-15 minutes through the surrounding areas. Was on my way back crossing over a neighborhood when all of the sudden the bird began to tumble, several warnings flashed across the screen and the screen went black. Luckily I was able to retrieve it, unluckily it landed in a small pond. When it happened I thought for sure I must have clipped a powerline or something that I couldn't see, but when I got there, there was nothing but open skies! What the hell happened? I have DJI refresh care. I guess it's time to start the process? Where do I begin?
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear about your crash.

What the [heck] happened?

Someone here may be able to shed some light on it if you retrieve the DAT file from the flight, upload it to DropBox (or something similar), and post a link to it in this thread. The correct DAT file will probably be pretty large (at least in the tens of megabytes) and the instructions for retrieving it are here. The DAT file is on the Mavic itself and you may also want to retrieve the TXT file that's on your mobile device, upload it and provide a link per the instructions here.

I have DJI refresh care. I guess it's time to start the process? Where do I begin?

To start the Care Refresh process you'll need to go to this page, click on "Online Support", select "Mavic", and then "DJI Care Refresh". However, if you believe the crash was due to a product defect and not pilot error then you need to be sure to specify that you believe it to be a warranty issue when you open the case; otherwise DJI may provide you with a $79 replacement that you could / should have gotten for free.
2017-7-8
Use props
StormCloud
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-8 13:17

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll work on getting that data pulled and posted, most likely tonight.
2017-7-8
Use props
StormCloud
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-8 13:17

Well I suspect the DAT file might be lost as the Magic is still fairly waterlogged. Not sure I should rush hook Big up a fresh battery to it.
2017-7-8
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

StormCloud Posted at 2017-7-8 16:15
Well I suspect the DAT file might be lost as the Magic is still fairly waterlogged. Not sure I should rush hook Big up a fresh battery to it.

I think standard procedure here is to put it in a bag of rice.  Kinda worked for my iPhone that fell in a (clean) toilet.  I could turn it on but it never worked 100% correctly again... Similar story (not sure the authenticity of that one, but seems legit).  Good luck!
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

StormCloud Posted at 2017-7-8 16:15

The DAT file will still be there, but Tombolian is correct that you should probably dry it out first. However, it's my understanding that rice is a poor choice because you're likely to get dust inside the Mavic in the process, and a better (and also inexpensive) choice is silica gel desiccant.

In any case, drying it out and trying to fly it again is ultimately up to you, but I strongly recommend against it. Water damage to electronics can cause subtle problems that don't show up right away, which is fine when you're talking about a cell phone that may (at worst) drop a call. But when you're talking about a drone that could fall on someone's head (or worse) it's a bit more risky, which may be why DJI considers water-damaged drones to be a total loss.
2017-7-8
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

*ahem* Standard procedure here is to put it in a bag of silica gel desiccant.  That's what I meant to say ;-)
2017-7-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash, I would recommend you send the drone in for diagnosis,  please contact the Support to open a case first, http://www.dji.com/support .
2017-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules