Nothing but jello (Video example) and no respond from support.
2504 17 2015-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hej
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2040512 ft
Sweden

This is what comes out from the videocamera of the Inspire

As you can tell, its all Jello. I have asked for help from the support but they do not reply. I have sent them about 10 mails and still nothing.

For this example I used all auto settings in full 4K and with ND filter. With or without, does not make a difference. The wind speed was about 5 m/s.   When I am at about 1 m/s then there are a possibility to get stable videos without Jello.

This unit is a replacement. The first one I had was filming without any jello and worked fine. Som my problem here are, even if I should buy another camera for the Inpire and just disregard any warranty procedures, I do not know how many cameras I need to buy before I get one that accually works.

Any Ideas? If DJI does not help me, how do I do this?
2015-3-22
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

Things I would check:

1. Do you get jello when motors are off? Try using the Inspire like a steady cam and film while walking around - if there is no jello in this case the camera and the gimbal is probably not the problem.

2. Check if your props are balanced - Jello very often is caused by vibrations coming from unbalanced props.
2a. Put the Inspire on a table and start filming with motors switched on but without props - maybe motors are unbalanced.
2015-3-22
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Send it in for repair. Mine had this problem. I have 2 units and they both work great now...Support apparently won't answer questions about this issue... well.. I never got any answers...
2015-3-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed, return for repair.  The video out should not look like that.
2015-3-22
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-22 23:32

Thanks for confirming that it is an anomaly. I Just have to keep nagging them at the support until they answer.
2015-3-22
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

marco Posted at 2015-3-22 20:27
Things I would check:

1. Do you get jello when motors are off? Try using the Inspire like a steady  ...

Thanks for the tips. I will check.
2015-3-22
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

They are talking to me now.  I am sending it back.
2015-3-25
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309626 ft
  • >>>
United States

Initially I only saw a little jello, but on my last flights I saw it like this. Pretty bad. I don't want to be without the thing for a month plus, but I may have no option.
2015-3-25
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

AnticipateMedia Posted at 2015-3-25 21:28
Initially I only saw a little jello, but on my last flights I saw it like this. Pretty bad. I don't  ...

You should send it in.
2015-3-27
Use props
info
lvl.2

Turkey

Drop your shutter speed to
if you are shooting 30fps then to 1/60
if you are shooting 25fps then to 1/50
if you are shooting 100fps then to 1/200

change your aperture accordingly and try again..

Koray Birand

2015-3-27
Use props
Editart
lvl.2

Sweden

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-22 23:32

Are you sure about that. This looks like ordinary rolling shutter effects to me. "Wrong" settings in the camera an shakings in the quad will naturally produce that effect. Probably everyone here with an Inspire 1 has seen them and are doing what they can to minimize them, ND filters, lower shutter.

Im not sure its a faulty quad... Would do some more tests with manual camera settings.

regards
m
2015-3-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Editart Posted at 2015-3-29 18:13
Are you sure about that. This looks like ordinary rolling shutter effects to me. "Wrong" settings  ...

You may be correct but I have never seen that on either of my two Inspires.  I fly them for the most part in Auto settings on the camera.
2015-3-29
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

I sent the Inspire back to DJI for repairs.  I did try all different settings for getting the jello or rolling shutter away. And yes, did try the ND filter. DJI told me it was something wrong when they watched the videos and offered to fix it.
2015-4-1
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

The DJI support Germany received the Inspire  2015-03-30. I have sent several mails to get them to confirm that the package was received. Nothing in reply! Not once!!

Today, I called them and then I could get it confirmed that they had it in the shop. I did tell them that last time it took a month and a half only for them to read my logs.  They where sorry and the should make it up to me this time. I Asked if they had had a changs to look at it, but no... they had not. (No shock there)

So what I am trying to say here, get them to read the mails, first send it, them call them and force them to read the mail when on the phone.

DJI make great products but they have not learned to use mail yet.
2015-4-8
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-8 19:56
DJI is to busy spending their billions they made, they have no time to answer emails or support ti ...

Well, they are producing good stuff but the really suck on after market. No Joke, worst ever. Just because that department are way to undermanned. I mean , way.... way  to undermanned.
2015-4-8
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

Look, if canon had that kind of support.... well .... they would not sell any products.
2015-4-8
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309626 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's definitely something to do with the shim in the t-joint. I had gone in and added some shim to both joints to remove any wobble, but frankly that made the jello far worse. I removed them and brought one side back to factory, and the other, which was still very loose, I added a little silicone. It still has a little wobble, but matches the other side now.

Lo and behold when I flew... no jello. I was at 50-80 shutter, but still. Slow motion view at 240fps shows no weird vibration. The other things I did was revert back to the original suspension balls from the stiffer ones included, flew in warmer temps (about 40 F), and changed to the new quick release props. I have more testing to do in heavier wind, but it looked fine so far.

The only noticeable jello I saw before was when the body was perpendicular to the wind and the shutter high.
2015-4-9
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Sweden

This is my Conclusion about the support. Call them! If you call them, they will be helpful. Everything is going much smoother this time around when I am calling them once a day to check the progress. They do not communicate well at all by mail!  They had have the Inspire at the workshop for a week an a half and I had asked them every day if they had received my Inspire. Nothing in reply! So I started to call them and suddenly... Everything works out fine... They started to work on the inspire, I could provide them with input they needed to proceed. Cause they will stop work on your I1 as soon as something is out of the ordinary and they will not call you or mail you about it. So be strong at the phone, that will work. And accually, the German office is quite nice to talk to.  ;c)  
2015-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules