After 4 Years of flying DJI drones why are they all flying away now
2168 32 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52215 ft
Canada

After 4 years of flying DJI products - every iteration of Phantom, mavic and spark, why is it all of sudden in July 2017 that all of my drones are flying away and not returning to home?

I do not think I am a novice by any means, but in July I have lost both my drones after never losing one in 4 years. What is going on? I am flying in all of the same places that I always have, but July I lost both my Mavic and tonight I lost my Spark.  

Both time I lost connection to the drone and it never returned to home - even though it knew where the home point was. Both times I was in an open field at an elevation of about 100 feet. But with my spark I was flying somewhere different, seeing I was scared of going back to where I lost my mavic. In my opinion, there is something up. None of this ever occurred until DJI started to incorporate all of the no-fly zone updates. Unless someone is shooting down drones all over my city with some form of electromagnetic gun, this has to be something DJI is doing. Every single time I fly my spark, the app had to crash at least once, then it was a mad dash to try to get the app open. I remember before I lost signal tonight it suddenly went in atti mode and then it was gone. How do you lose connection to drone like that? I have never seen it in my life until this month and I saw once with my mavic and it was gone and again with my spark then it was gone. I was flying the spark with the remote - I drove bloody 6 hours round trip to buy one last weekend - just so I could use my spark to its fullest. I was waiting on my order for one from Amazon and got tired of waiting after 14 days and found out that a place in Calgary had them in stock. I also bought the OTG cable, so I wasn't using wifi at all to connect to the remote. I am just so frustrated right now. I have probably spent $12,000 or more on DJI products in my life and when you have troubles due to their tinkering and " development" it is at your cost. I paid for the replacement mavic at a meager discount even though it was not my fault and the evaluation was inconclusive, but in this case, DJI you can replace my spark drone at no cost or I am done as a customer.  

2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i semi agree...  always been some issues but never this weird and bad.. i only just started but i have nee following the events and going ons from time to time..

i agree that much of the issues did seem to flare up when Dji decided to lock things down more.  (i'm not against, still plenty of space to fly from what i have seen). but i think you are kind of onto something.. not sure what.. if its related.. but good to theorize put it on the table so it gets checked out...

as for the spark flyaways.. i personally feel like more to it...  given spark has so many problems reported..
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for your loss, have you contacted the Support to start a case? Please sync the flight records, then send an email with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to support.us@dji.com, the Support will submit a data analysis for you.
2017-7-27
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-27 00:13
Sorry for your loss, have you contacted the Support to start a case? Please sync the flight records, then send an email with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to , the Support will submit a data analysis for you.

It was the same outcome as the Mavic. It just loses connection to the RC and never returns to home. In the past you would just wait there for a few minutes and it would return to home like clockwork if that happened- but now it does not do that anymore. The last analysis on Mavic came up inconclusive and that was after almost 4 weeks of waiting. I could sync it, but in essence you would have the same findings. Which is more weird is that I was only about 200 meters away from the home point before it went on its on little adventure this time.  I searched for 4 hours scouring the area and it was no where to be seen.
2017-7-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansbec9a66b Posted at 2017-7-27 06:43
It was the same outcome as the Mavic. It just loses connection to the RC and never returns to home. In the past you would just wait there for a few minutes and it would return to home like clockwork if that happened- but now it does not do that anymore. The last analysis on Mavic came up inconclusive and that was after almost 4 weeks of waiting. I could sync it, but in essence you would have the same findings. Which is more weird is that I was only about 200 meters away from the home point before it went on its on little adventure this time.  I searched for 4 hours scouring the area and it was no where to be seen.

Can you upload logs to link below. Just click on link and follow instructions, come back here and post the link. I will have a look at it for you might help you understand what might have happened.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-7-27
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

I am looking at my phone now and it looks like it has not been storing any of my spark flights in the log???? All that is in there is all of my mavic flights up until the point where it flew away. Why would this be ????
2017-7-27
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-27 06:50
Can you upload logs to link below. Just click on link and follow instructions, come back here and post the link. I will have a look at it for you might help you understand what might have happened.

There is nothing to even upload this time. My spark has not been logging any of the flights ????????
2017-7-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansbec9a66b Posted at 2017-7-27 07:22
There is nothing to even upload this time. My spark has not been logging any of the flights ????????

The log would be in your app, it has to be logged once you used the app to fly.
2017-7-27
Use props
Wx_Striker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24728 ft
United States

fansbec9a66b Posted at 2017-7-27 07:22

If you have multiple aircraft in the flight log screen swipe left or right and you will see all the aircraft.  At least that is how you view it on iOS
2017-7-27
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Today i lost connection to the spark aswell, it went into atti mode and i got compass error, fortunately i could manage to control ac to land, but it was going to all sides.  I was flying in sn open field, without any interferences.Maybe its the latest firmware update from yesterday. After i done the compass calibration it went ok. Maybe its important to do compass calibration after update. But for me its a little bit uncertain at the moment to fly the spark. I am reading too many issues
2017-7-27
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-27 06:50

I would if my spark was actually logging the flights. When I go and look I only have DJIflightrecord logs but no recent flightlogs since using my spark.
2017-7-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansbec9a66b Posted at 2017-7-27 08:23
I would if my spark was actually logging the flights. When I go and look I only have DJIflightrecord logs but no recent flightlogs since using my spark.

did you use the official Dji Go 4 application?   i believe it logs all the flights you do using that application.  but i'm not sure you get logs if you use another application.  
2017-7-27
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Its possible that you lost video connection but not connection between the AC and RC, which would mean you have no video feed but RTH wont be initiated because the remote and AC are connected, kind of like if the app crashed. Im assuming you werent flying in VLOS?
2017-7-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Your logs would have dates on them, if it's not recording log then you might have a problem, you need to check it with dji.
2017-7-27
Use props
Stormer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28468 ft
Czechia

tried to restart your mobile phone? for me logs are not visible until I restart phone
2017-7-27
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101220 ft
Canada

I just posted in another thread that I still have a P1 and manually switch to ATTI mode to practice - flying and landing (with wind) - is that still possible with the latest Mavic and Spark ? - would it still be a "work around" for fly-aways - because as far as I know ATTI mode (manually selected) doesn't require GPS or Compass (just the IMU) - wondering for when I get my Spark...
2017-7-27
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

JMX46 Posted at 2017-7-27 13:43
I just posted in another thread that I still have a P1 and manually switch to ATTI mode to practice - flying and landing (with wind) - is that still possible with the latest Mavic and Spark ? - would it still be a "work around" for fly-aways - because as far as I know ATTI mode (manually selected) doesn't require GPS or Compass (just the IMU) - wondering for when I get my Spark...

No, there is no option to go to atti, just sport (which still uses gps). It only goes to atti if there is some kind of failure, then it does t automatically.
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

fans61699a75 Posted at 2017-7-27 08:20
Today i lost connection to the spark aswell, it went into atti mode and i got compass error, fortunately i could manage to control ac to land, but it was going to all sides.  I was flying in sn open field, without any interferences.Maybe its the latest firmware update from yesterday. After i done the compass calibration it went ok. Maybe its important to do compass calibration after update. But for me its a little bit uncertain at the moment to fly the spark. I am reading too many issues

I've replied your another post , please check it.
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Sorry to hear that. For the flight records, what mobile device are you using?  IOS's flight record is saved in the "documents" under the "djipilot", it can only be exported through iTunes. Android's flight record is saved in: /sdcard/DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord.  
Anyway , I still recommend you contact the Support to start a case first.
2017-7-27
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

my friend this is all you need to know about LOGS :
2017-7-28
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-27 19:43
Sorry to hear that. For the flight records, what mobile device are you using?  IOS's flight record is saved in the "documents" under the "djipilot", it can only be exported through iTunes. Android's flight record is saved in: /sdcard/DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord.  

I know where the files are stored, I just went through this process with my Mavic 3 weeks ago. I am on android. Using a galaxy 8 Plus. When I go into that directory, the last flight that is in there when my Mavic flew away on July 1st. I took roughly 20 flights with my Spark and not a single one is on there. Some are in the ap.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-27 16:02
No, there is no option to go to atti, just sport (which still uses gps). It only goes to atti if there is some kind of failure, then it does t automatically.

Lol well there must be some sort of catastrophic failure now everyday where I live. I just got my new mavic yesterday and it went into atti mode again on my first flight. The very second it did that I flew it home and landed. I think I am done with DJI products. This is insane.  
2017-7-29
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-27 19:43

I know where the records are. I went through this process with my Mavic 3 weeks ago. Ever since using my spark on the same device - a Samsung Galaxy S 8 Plus, it has not logged a single flight in this file folder. Please help me. This is insane.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

Stormer Posted at 2017-7-27 12:12
tried to restart your mobile phone? for me logs are not visible until I restart phone

Yes I have restarted the phone . Still nothing. A few of them are in the GUI flight record feature in the DJI go APP. However, there are no text based copies in the file folder.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

Fractures Posted at 2017-7-27 08:50
Its possible that you lost video connection but not connection between the AC and RC, which would mean you have no video feed but RTH wont be initiated because the remote and AC are connected, kind of like if the app crashed. Im assuming you werent flying in VLOS?

With my Spark I was maybe 300 feet away and 100 feet in elevation at most. I was in a city soccer field that was not in use . Not on some epic distance flight. The spark isn't made for that. I was having fun just using it as a small race drone. I lost connection to the RC as well. Both times . With my mavic and my Spark. After losing connection to my RC, the drone never returned to home
2017-7-29
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-27 08:51
Your logs would have dates on them, if it's not recording log then you might have a problem, you need to check it with dji.

I am aware. I successfully went through this process with my Mavic 3 week ago and uploaded all the Necessary logs. They came back to me saying their investigation was inclusive, then I had to Pay over $700 Canadian to get a new drone body.  
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansbec9a66b Posted at 2017-7-29 06:51
I am aware. I successfully went through this process with my Mavic 3 week ago and uploaded all the Necessary logs. They came back to me saying their investigation was inclusive, then I had to Pay over $700 Canadian to get a new drone body.

That's tough but without logs it's impossible to know what happened, yes if you lose RC signal what ever setting you have set RTH at should be initiated. And if you had logs they should tell what happened.
2017-7-29
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

fansbec9a66b Posted at 2017-7-29 06:43
I know where the records are. I went through this process with my Mavic 3 weeks ago. Ever since using my spark on the same device - a Samsung Galaxy S 8 Plus, it has not logged a single flight in this file folder. Please help me. This is insane.

I am so sorry to say that we are not able to know what happened without the flight records, may hard to provide you a better solution.
2017-7-31
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

has anyone's Spark fallen out of the sky or flew away since the updates?
2017-7-31
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

sorry to hear all of this..
2017-7-31
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-31 03:30
I am so sorry to say that we are not able to know what happened without the flight records, may hard to provide you a better solution.

How is a software issue my fault? I didn't cause the drone to stop recording flight data, you unstable app did. I have no reason to lie to you. If this is the stance you are going to take, I think it is about time that I learn how to file a statement of claim in your main country of operations. You can mostly likely access all the flight records of each drone once they have been registered, you can see that mine hasn't been flown in many days, what you are saying is illogical. Every time I fly my new Mavic now - no matter where I go, it constantly goes in and out of ATTI mode, so for now I cant even fly that. There is something going on, and unless you address this promptly, I have no problem escalating this further, with the help of a solicitor.
2017-8-1
Use props
fansbec9a66b
lvl.1
Canada

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-31 03:32
sorry to hear all of this..

Me to, my brand new mavic is also having issues. Here I have thousands of dollars in drone equipment, that has been lost or rendered in operable, due to something that DJI has been doing recently with their software,
2017-8-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansbec9a66b Posted at 2017-8-1 07:09
Me to, my brand new mavic is also having issues. Here I have thousands of dollars in drone equipment, that has been lost or rendered in operable, due to something that DJI has been doing recently with their software,

Can you post logs from your Mavic.
2017-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules