Smoking motor and E800s?
3500 30 2015-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gzaftig
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1144761 ft
United States

So i was flying at an event the other day when one of my motors started to smoke and then verred into a tree. I was able to get it out of the tree after some climbing and the gimbal and camera and rest of the unit seem to be in good condition aside from the smoking motor and another motor on same side doesnt turn. I'm trying to find out if the E800s are the same stock motor that are one the inspire as i notice it has 3510 written on it next to the E800s or are they different from whats on there? Just trying to get replacement motors but ran into a bit of confusion and wanted to be crystal clear before i spend money. I have another event this weekend i wanna fix this for so wanna be quick but wanna be correct. How theres no marking on the motor itself on the inspire is making me question what it is.

E800s on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Origin ... 7128905&sr=1-49

Inspire motor on amazon and my main dealer (which is out of stock at)
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Stor ... -CCW-1042p19091.htm
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-INSPIR ... FX637MZN9MK3R07839W

2015-3-23
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

DJI 24/7  helpline told me in the past that the Inspire engines were the same as the e800
2015-3-23
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

The Inspire uses the E800 3510/KV350's however I am doubting it was your motors that were smoking since they VERY rarely fail as they have no moving parts.
I would say the smoke was more likely to be coming from a blown FET on one of your esc's with the smoke venting through the motor bell housing (much more common than a defunct motor).
You say one of you other motors won't/is difficult to turn? - Have you had a prior crash or flown previously in adverse conditions or stressed the Inspire in some way and potentially drawn too much current through the esc's?
As a side note..... If it WAS your motor smoking and another is seized due to over current being passed then you have a SERIOUS problem and you should ground your craft until the cause is determined.

2015-3-23
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

The motor not spinning was a result from the crash. One started smoking while in the air then crashed into a tree getting stuck on the limb, when i got it on the ground i removed props and ran through each part visually, when testing the motors one would not turn after and the one that smoked would smoke again upon accelerating not. I have not priory crashed before nor flown in heavy winds. I've flown about 60 times and have around 5 hours of flight time and made several videos of footage so far. I finally got a hold of some one at DJI who didnt' know if the E800 was but recommended on sending it in. Sadly I have an event to fly this weekend so im very much in debate whether to replace myself or send it in and skip the event.
2015-3-23
Use props
cypress6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176936 ft
United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... acement&lang=en
2015-3-23
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

It is defiantly the motor as i tried again and checked the what was heating, the motor itself was extremely hot and looking inside with a flashlight through the openings i could see charred coils.....btw how does the motor not have any moving parts when it has a shaft and you said yourself a bell house? are those not moving parts itself?
2015-3-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ugly, sounds like you are going to find something other than the motors. Sounds like a DJI repair stop. Something had to make the motor smoke and seize. The other motor probably just froze and never got to the point to go up in smoke. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news my friend.
2015-3-23
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

gzaftig Posted at 2015-3-24 05:23
It is defiantly the motor as i tried again and checked the what was heating, the motor itself was ex ...

The only moving parts on the motor are the bearings.

For your motors to smoke they must be drawing a hell of a lot of current so you esc's are no doubt fried as well. If a motor had become contaminated with dirt or some foam from the carry case then theoretically it could have increased it's rotational friction which in turn would mean the esc would try and pass more current which means the motor would heat up. Eventually the motor would get so hot that the bonding between the motor casing and the magnets breaks down and one (or more) comes loose and you have a seized motor.
I'm not saying  that is exactly what happened but is extremely likely.

Personally I would want to strip down that motor, examine the bearings and the entire unit. If I was doing the repair I would also replace the esc to that motor as well since it clearly has been badly stressed (assuming it is even still functional)
2015-3-23
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Mark is right. I doubt you burned out a motor, these things could only happen to wrongly geared rc cars for example. Even then you would most likely first overheat the esc. I haven't got a clue where they are located on the inspire, but it makes sense to put them below the motor, to provide it with cooling. If you're gonna fix it yourself (which is much faster than sending it in) first take it apart to see whats broken. As for the other motor, it's probably a busted bearing if it doesn't rotate freely by hand. Or it got stuck and overheated another esc.
Good luck with it and keep us posted!
2015-3-23
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-24 05:26
Ugly, sounds like you are going to find something other than the motors. Sounds like a DJI repair st ...

Well i tried calling them twice now, got a hold of someone only to be told to call back and select another option, i do so telling me this is basic support (even though the machine said repairs) and that i had to call the original option back for repairs....does the left hand know what the right hand is doing....or even what it is?
2015-3-23
Use props
gds3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29646 ft
United States

Where are you located?  Maybe someone local can help you out.
2015-3-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gzaftig Posted at 2015-3-24 06:48
Well i tried calling them twice now, got a hold of someone only to be told to call back and select ...

They do get a bit bogged down at times. It is a great product. Maybe Ed or Blade will catch this post and pitch in to help you out. Sounds like you will have to replace the motors in any event. We need to figure out why it happened, if not it will probably happen again? I would send it back to DJI for the repair. They have the insight to resolve the issue.
2015-3-23
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

Were you using the original props?
2015-3-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

gzaftig Posted at 2015-3-24 02:50
The motor not spinning was a result from the crash. One started smoking while in the air then crashe ...

Swap the motors out brother, see how the other two run in place of the 2 bad ones.
If the good ones get hot, then there is something wrong with the esc's. If not, "next day" 2 new motors off of amazon and do some long hovering, then open field. Hurry man, times a wastin'
2015-3-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Sounds like your motors came to an abrupt stop , some how ... And then your ESCs got toasted and don't spool the motors properly now or don't work at all , nothing new ! Unless you threw a bucket of sand and water or styrofoam ?  to the motor,  I'd doubt contamination , it's not an RC off-roader .. I have blown a couple ESC on the phantoms running t motors and t props after a bad landing and tip over stopping  a motor abruptly will do it , otherwise I've no idea what could have  happened under normal circumstances . Really seems odd.
2015-3-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Two motors went ? From bearings going out ??? Really ?
2015-3-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Smoked after you hit the tree and wouldn't run ? Or before you hit the tree as you were filming and the bird was smoking but still in the air ?? Hmmmm, really ?
2015-3-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

xzces Posted at 2015-3-24 06:37
Mark is right. I doubt you burned out a motor, these things could only happen to wrongly geared rc c ...

The ESCs are underneath the motors, above each landing strut ...
2015-3-25
Use props
Playful Monster
lvl.2

United States

i would have DJI repair it.  it might be covered under warranty.  also they can look for other problems.  it would suck to burn up new motors because of another issue.  call at 0900 pst when they open its the best time
2015-3-25
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-26 07:04
The ESCs are underneath the motors, above each landing strut ...

Thanks a lot. Haven't got the chance yet to do some gutting on the inspire (thankfully)  but it's good to know.
2015-3-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Note that while the E800 and Inspire motors are the same spec'd units, the Inspire lower mounting is different.  I would recommend sending it to DJI.
2015-3-26
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-27 05:28
Note that while the E800 and Inspire motors are the same spec'd units, the Inspire lower mounting is ...

Yea we are defiantly sending back. We are positive it is the motor that is burned out as you can look through the vents and see black charring on the coils....
2015-3-26
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-26 06:46
Sounds like your motors came to an abrupt stop , some how ... And then your ESCs got toasted and don ...

They didn't com to an abrupt stop nor did two motors go out at the same time. One started smoking and with no input to my controls it veered into a tree. A tree full of vines so the second motor must of had something lodged as it is spinning fine now. Were positive its not the ESC as the first motor the one that smokes has charring on the coils and is hot, the landing struts has no extra heat when there is smoke.
2015-3-26
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

DJK Posted at 2015-3-26 05:44
Were you using the original props?

Yes it was original props.
2015-3-26
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-24 09:24
They do get a bit bogged down at times. It is a great product. Maybe Ed or Blade will catch this p ...

I was able to get a hold of some one after going between two options on the call number, we got an RMA going so i'm shipping it soon. If i get a response to what the actually problem is from DJI i'll post back here with what it was. Thanks all for you're help!
2015-3-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-26 06:48
Two motors went ? From bearings going out ??? Really ?

I doubt that. I think there are other issues and that he should send it back to the Pros at DJI instead of buying all kinds of parts and trying to get to the route of the problem. That course of repair will get very costly and aggravating.
2015-3-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-27 05:28
Note that while the E800 and Inspire motors are the same spec'd units, the Inspire lower mounting is ...

Totally agree with you Ed, let the Pros check it out. That is what they do best. He is going to cause himself a lot of aggravation and money. Plus he will always have doubts in his mind when he goes to fly it. Not a conducive atmosphere.
2015-3-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gzaftig Posted at 2015-3-27 05:32
Yea we are defiantly sending back. We are positive it is the motor that is burned out as you can l ...

Good smart move my friend. Bite the bullet and get it over with.
2015-3-26
Use props
gzaftig
lvl.1
United States

Well i got an email 2 weeks after it was sent in saying that they JUST checked it in and it would be 5-6 weeks for repairs....i asked why they were checking it in after 2 weeks and got no reply. I finally received it a week ago and was able to do a test flight and everything was great except when i went to do the firmware update that night the aircraft/battery update went on for 2-3hours until the battery died...Now i cannot even get ANY video feed. On the app it also shows the aircraft/battery still needs and update and the gimbal dial bottom left of the app shows the angle of the gimbal jumping all over the place while camera faces forward. I cannot get the update to start at all now too.
2015-5-30
Use props
Chris-S
New

United States

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-23 09:48
The Inspire uses the E800 3510/KV350's however I am doubting it was your motors that were smoking si ...

You can also check to see if any metal or metal parts got pulled into the motor housing. This would cause binding inside, and if they got hot, may burn off coatings on that metal...
2016-1-28
Use props
joerazzzz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86952 ft
United States

I had a crash that seized a motor, it was due to dirt entering the vent and binding the bell to the stator. I was able to remove the c-clip on the bottom and the brass spacer. From here you can separate the two from each other but it needs to come off even and you are fighting very strong magnets so it is not an easy task.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules