The Mavic "Squeal"
2376 26 2017-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

While doing some filming the other day with a Mavic and a P4 drone, I noticed the Mavic has a distinct loud pitch "squeal" that it emits from time to time when a light gust of wind hits it.  It sounds like car with a bad fanbelt... but in miniature.

Have you experienced this noise?  If you're filming and syncing sound, how do you edit it out?  It's easy for me to remove the drone "droning" sound in post-production, but removing this high pitched "squeal/squeak" is proving to be nearly impossible.  

2017-8-2
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... what sound do you mean? Video recorded on SD-Card of MP has no sound... only the stream stored on you phone/tablet has sound that is recorded with the mic of the phone/tablet... So it is not a sound from the MP that you hear...
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

You have obviously "Record Audio With Video Cache" enabled in the General Settings and you're recording the sound of the fan of the RC.
The Mavic has no microphone on board.
2017-8-2
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

The sound that he is hearing is coming from the MP.  Mine does the same thing sometimes.  I can occasionally hear it when I walk over to it while it's in a hover.  As for editing it out of the video, I just turn the mic off in the settings for Go App.  But there is still a squeal someplace from the Mavic.  
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Brad Bilger Posted at 2017-8-2 12:11
The sound that he is hearing is coming from the MP.  Mine does the same thing sometimes.  I can occasionally hear it when I walk over to it while it's in a hover.  As for editing it out of the video, I just turn the mic off in the settings for Go App.  But there is still a squeal someplace from the Mavic.

And which microphone do you turn off in the DJI GO 4 app settings?  
2017-8-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I think the OP is talking about filming a movie using his drones as cameras with the sound bleeding into his actors' mics.

I think the sound is just the momentary engine adjustments needed to counter the sudden wind change, you hear it with quick braking as well. Maybe you can use a parametric EQ to hide the squeal? There are also noise reduction tools that'll sample the squeal and then attempt to remove it from source.
2017-8-2
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Uh... this one....
Screenshot_20170802-152828.png
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

That is the microphone of your phone that you are turning off to avoid audio being added to the video cache in your phone.
BTW, this video clip in your phone is not of the same video quality as the one recorded on the Mavic's SD card.
2017-8-2
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-2 12:40
That is the microphone of your phone that you are turning off to avoid audio being added to the video cache in your phone.
BTW, this video clip in your phone is not of the same video quality as the one recorded on the Mavic's SD card.

I know that.  But since you asked What microphone in the DJI Go 4 app, I thought that maybe you didn't.  And yes, I do know that the resolution of the video on the phone is not the same quality as the one on the SD card.  

Wow, this is about the most unfriendly forum I've ever been in.  I come here to get help and find information.  I wasn't expecting hostility.  I'm done....
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-2 12:23
I think the OP is talking about filming a movie using his drones as cameras with the sound bleeding into his actors' mics.

I think the sound is just the momentary engine adjustments needed to counter the sudden wind change, you hear it with quick braking as well. Maybe you can use a parametric EQ to hide the squeal? There are also noise reduction tools that'll sample the squeal and then attempt to remove it from source.

If the OP is using external microphones, you could be right.

Strange though, I would describe the sound of position correction and braking rather as a whoosh than a squeal.
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Brad Bilger Posted at 2017-8-2 12:49
I know that.  But since you asked What microphone in the DJI Go 4 app, I thought that maybe you didn't.  And yes, I do know that the resolution of the video on the phone is not the same quality as the one on the SD card.  

Wow, this is about the most unfriendly forum I've ever been in.  I come here to get help and find information.  I wasn't expecting hostility.  I'm done....

Wow! Please re-read your first post in this thread.
2017-8-2
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
United States

Ok.. I re-read it.  I stated nothing about recording a squeal.  I stated that I can hear a Squeal/whine occasionally from my Mavic.  Nothing about recording it.  I stated that the sound is coming from my mavic and not on the video.  I also stated that to keep that sound from my video (Cache) i turned my microphone off on the App.  (Only audible on the recording when the Mavic was VERY close).  You stated, "And which microphone do you turn off in the DJI GO 4 app settings? "  So I assumed that you had no idea where that setting was since there is only ONE microphone listed in the app settings even though you mentioned it earlier.  
Regardless of all that, the OP still has a problem with a Squeal coming from his Mavic, of which I occasionally have the same bug.  Whether or not he is recording said squeal on his Cache recording , on external microphones, another camera or what, the squeal is still present and he is hearing it.  What he is recording the squeal on is immaterial to the problem.  THERE IS A SQUEAL!
I came here looking for answers similar to "Ex Machina" who replied with an answer that was relevant to the OP's question and not one that was condescending in tone.  

However, not to worry.  I'm going to search elsewhere for answers and not bother you anymore.   

I'd heard a rumor that some in this forum had an attitude.  
2017-8-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-2 12:50
If the OP is using external microphones, you could be right.

Strange though, I would describe the sound of position correction and braking rather as a whoosh than a squeal.

Sometimes I'd describe it as a whine, which is sort of close to a squeal, I guess. Now that I think about it, a squeal might indicate the prop is rubbing against the leg, maybe indicating a bent or loose axle assembly?
2017-8-2
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-8-2 11:58
... what sound do you mean? Video recorded on SD-Card of MP has no sound... only the stream stored on you phone/tablet has sound that is recorded with the mic of the phone/tablet... So it is not a sound from the MP that you hear...

I'm not recording sound on the Mavic.

I'm recording using a professional directional microphone for ambient sound ( muffled ) and radio lapel microphones for anyone I need personal audio on.  

I then use a clapper to sync the audio in post-production.

The problem I'm having is that when the Mavic  ( vs the P4A that I normally use ) gets hit by a small gust of wind or something .. it makes a "SQUEEEAAAL" sound.  Like the sound a car with a loose fan-belt does.

It's hard to get rid of in post-production, and I swear it didn't do it before the recent .900 update.
2017-8-2
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2017-8-2 13:42
Ok.. I re-read it.  I stated nothing about recording a squeal.  I stated that I can hear a Squeal/whine occasionally from my Mavic.  Nothing about recording it.  I stated that the sound is coming from my mavic and not on the video.  I also stated that to keep that sound from my video (Cache) i turned my microphone off on the App.  (Only audible on the recording when the Mavic was VERY close).  You stated, "And which microphone do you turn off in the DJI GO 4 app settings? "  So I assumed that you had no idea where that setting was since there is only ONE microphone listed in the app settings even though you mentioned it earlier.  
Regardless of all that, the OP still has a problem with a Squeal coming from his Mavic, of which I occasionally have the same bug.  Whether or not he is recording said squeal on his Cache recording , on external microphones, another camera or what, the squeal is still present and he is hearing it.  What he is recording the squeal on is immaterial to the problem.  THERE IS A SQUEAL!
I came here looking for answers similar to "Ex Machina" who replied with an answer that was relevant to the OP's question and not one that was condescending in tone.  

So you record the sound on-board using the cached audio, then use that to subtract the sound in the final edit?
2017-8-2
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

... if you think it has something to do with latest firmware version, you are able to go back to previous version with DJI Assistant 2.
2017-8-3
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-2 15:22
Sometimes I'd describe it as a whine, which is sort of close to a squeal, I guess. Now that I think about it, a squeal might indicate the prop is rubbing against the leg, maybe indicating a bent or loose axle assembly?

I'll be paying attention the next time I fly my Mavic.
I cannot recall hearing a squeal or a whine coming from my Mavic.

Are you sure, that you have paid for your Mavic in full, otherwise this could be the reason why it's whining...
2017-8-3
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Brad Bilger Posted at 2017-8-2 13:42

You are now writing important details that you did not mention in your first post.
Together with the word "Beginner" under your avatar, I thought you were lost.
Hence the misunderstanding.

OK, good luck...
2017-8-3
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-8-3 01:31
... if you think it has something to do with latest firmware version, you are able to go back to previous version with DJI Assistant 2.

Downgraded ( using pyDUML -- Assistant 2 no longer allows downgrading ).. no difference.  However, I think I may have discovered the source of the noise -- one of the four motors has a lot more 'wobble' than the others.  I think the squeal may be due to a bad motor.
2017-8-3
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

... wobble could mean that the bearing is bad... how many flight hours you did with the MP?
2017-8-3
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-8-3 08:09
... wobble could mean that the bearing is bad... how many flight hours you did with the MP?

Only a couple hundred so far.  
2017-8-3
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-3 02:36
You are now writing important details that you did not mention in your first post.
Together with the word "Beginner" under your avatar, I thought you were lost.
Hence the misunderstanding.

The rank under the avatar has something to do with the points you have earned on this forum. So even if you are flying drones for years and never have posted anything here, you have "beginner" rank
2017-8-3
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-8-3 10:09
The rank under the avatar has something to do with the points you have earned on this forum. So even if you are flying drones for years and never have posted anything here, you have "beginner" rank

OK, in that case you have spent more time on the forum than flying your Mavic?
2017-8-3
Use props
Laval076
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87438 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ouch !!!! Uppercut !
2017-8-3
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-3 13:43
OK, in that case you have spent more time on the forum than flying your Mavic?

You have earned some points now
2017-8-3
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-8-3 23:31
You have earned some points now

Cool, it's always nice to read something positive...
2017-8-4
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

Um .. seriously?  You two are arguing about points on a forum system?  *raises eyebrows*

2017-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules