Motor overload warning --- impending crash ??
2067 10 2017-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HyabusaT87
New
United States

I bought the drop device from UBuyWeRush.com and installed it a few days ago.  It works well, but I've been getting the "Motor Overload Warning" after about 8 or 9 minutes of flight since I lift about 2 lbs. test cargo with my P3 Pro and it puts a lot of stress on the two rear motors since that's where the drop device is mounted.

Does the overload warning mean the motors will automatically shut off very soon --- and thus my bird crashes to the ground?  Or does the flight controller perform a slow, controlled descent to allow the bird to land safely without any damage?

Please let me know --- I don't want to take a payload up to 500 ft. and then receive this warning and watch my P3P plummet to the ground like a meteor!

2017-8-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

HyabusaT
It so much depends on several factors.  First, how old is your P3P, how many flight hours do you have on the motors.  How long have you been stressing them.  The first likely effect to this stress could come in the form of cracks in the fuselage, damage to the motor mounts, or problems with circuitry due to overheating.  The most drastic could be motor failure from overheating, which could happen at any point.
By stressing these electric motors beyond their design limit you are likely generating increased vibration, heat, and wear.  Any of these could lead to component failure.  The onboard software is telling you now that the system is overloaded, and it is likely to be the only warning you'll get from this.  The next one could be a warning that some other failure occurred that will prevent proper operation, which again could occur at any time.  So, how long before any of this occurs, I doubt anyone can say for sure.  It depends on how much overload you are causing, wind conditions will play a factor too, as any gust factor means more motor work required to maintain stable flight, and finally the limits that the motors and structure can take before failure.  If you are lucky you may never see a catastrophic failure, likely just a degraded bird in time.
All of this is to say, it is not advisable to be overloading your craft and its motors.
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What are these significantly important payloads you are dropping? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Don't think phantoms are designed to carry any loads.  Battery maxes them out
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The only Overload warning I have experienced, was turning on the drone with that tiny bit of foam used to keep the gimbal from jostling about during transport from China to Canada.

Got the dreaded Gimbal Overloaded announcement!!

Once I removed that foam and fired her up again, all was well, in Hinterland... Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-8-23
Use props
HyabusaT87
New
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-23 12:29
What are these significantly important payloads you are dropping? ;-)

Right now just small bags of almonds and peanuts --- my Dad likes to feed the birds and squirrels on his property but it's become quite a chore to walk around all 300 acres to a dozen or so feeding sites --- lot easier to sit on the back porch with an iced tea and let the Phantom and drop device do all the work !!

2017-8-23
Use props
HyabusaT87
New
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-23 12:46
Don't think phantoms are designed to carry any loads.  Battery maxes them out

So far in my experimentation --- the P3P can handle small payloads (under 12 oz) without too much decrease in flight time.  I also get no motor overload warning if the payload is under 12 oz. and I havent been running through several batteries in a row on a hot day.
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

HyabusaT87 Posted at 2017-8-23 14:27
So far in my experimentation --- the P3P can handle small payloads (under 12 oz) without too much decrease in flight time.  I also get no motor overload warning if the payload is under 12 oz. and I havent been running through several batteries in a row on a hot day.

Several of us on here, have already added hefty Lume Cubes to our photography platform, flight kit & piloting arsenal.

My Phantom 3 Pro carries them like a true champ. Never any issues of even miniscule concern, so far... ;-)

And our VLS is greatly improved as well. Visual Line of Sight!!

Light me up... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
HyabusaT87
New
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-23 17:20
Several of us on here, have already added hefty Lume Cubes to our photography platform, flight kit & piloting arsenal.

My Phantom 3 Pro carries them like a true champ. Never any issues of even miniscule concern, so far... ;-)

I could see where this might come in handy for night surveillance --- my Dad has had recent problems with someone coming onto his property at night to poach deer --- this would be a good way to get the criminals on video to foward to the game warden
Drone with Lume Cube #1.jpg
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

HyabusaT87 Posted at 2017-8-23 18:12
I could see where this might come in handy for night surveillance --- my Dad has had recent problems with someone coming onto his property at night to poach deer --- this would be a good way to get the criminals on video to foward to the game warden
[view_image]

I'm excited with your future indentifying prospects, but feel bad that people considered hunters are poaching your wild game.  
I hope that you can get enough decent pics or clear video to prosecute these unsavory folks, to the very fullest reaches of the laws..
That would require a bullet with the offenders name engraved, in the olden days.

But the "Git a rope".... Saying is also appropriate, 100 years ago. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to remove the gimbal clamp and restart several times to check whether the reminder remains. If no helps, please contact our support team via support.us@dji.com and send it in.
2017-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules