Palm Launch (won't)
3203 20 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

Since updating all my firmware and software I'm unable to complete a palm launch into gesture control. To be clear, the Spark recognizes me, starts the props rotating and lifts off my palm as expected. Then, when I hold my hand in front of the drone there is no recognition, not even blinking yellow lights indicating it is trying to recognize. I've tried holding my arm outstretched with palm up as shown in the manual (version 1.4) and I've tried moving my hand in a small circle as indicated in the tutorial that comes up in DJI Go 4 when I activate gesture control. None of these actions get the attention of the drone. Then my challenge is getting it to land as I don't have the RC turned on nor DJI GO 4. Sometimes when I place my palm under the AC it recognizes it and will land, but often it just climbs a little higher until I back away and it drops back down.
On the bright side, the updates seemed to improve all aspects of flying using the RC. I can quickly get out to 3500 ft and 250 ft elevation without even a hiccup. The new panorama mode works wonderfully, I don't see any video lag, and the controls are responsive. It's just embarrasing when I try to demonstrate the gesture control and fail. Most believe "The Force" is no longer with me.

2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Oh ... May force be with you. Go to DJI Go 4, check again if "Advance Gesture" is enabled. It might be reset to disable by firmware updating.
2017-8-24
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help. I connected with the AC and un-enabled gesture control and then re-enabled - still unable to get beyond palm launch.
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Sliderul,Make sure your operation is correct.
Please pay attention to the following instruction:
1.If the front LEDs blink red twice, FaceAware has failed. Scan your face again.
2.Do not release the aircraft when the front LEDs are solid green.
3.When you are releasing the aircraft, ensure that the aircraft is not tilted. After releasing the aircraft, do not place your palm underneath the aircraft.
If the problem still exists, please export your flight data for us to check.Here is the link of palmlaunch:

2017-8-25
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
United States

I followed all of your instructions with no success. After successfully launching from my palm I could never get the AC to follow gestures. As I held my hand up and moved back and forth trying for recognition I would occasionally see a quick blink of green lights, but nothing more than that. I let the AC hover in place for over 3 minutes and it never attempted to land. My understanding that in gesture mode the AC will land after 1 minute of not detecting a gesture. The fact that it would hover indefinitely is another sign that it never went into gesture mode after being launched. I eventually was able to place my hand under the drone and it landed as it should. Here is a link to a DropBox file with the data and black box upload from DJI Assistant (I assume that's what you mean by flight log). https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o73qs ... r8IAuq0RndC4ia?dl=0
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sliderul Posted at 2017-8-25 17:45
I followed all of your instructions with no success. After successfully launching from my palm I could never get the AC to follow gestures. As I held my hand up and moved back and forth trying for recognition I would occasionally see a quick blink of green lights, but nothing more than that. I let the AC hover in place for over 3 minutes and it never attempted to land. My understanding that in gesture mode the AC will land after 1 minute of not detecting a gesture. The fact that it would hover indefinitely is another sign that it never went into gesture mode after being launched. I eventually was able to place my hand under the drone and it landed as it should. Here is a link to a DropBox file with the data and black box upload from DJI Assistant (I assume that's what you mean by flight log). https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o73qsaeld6pnf4b/AADtOPiIPBJr8IAuq0RndC4ia?dl=0

Please wait patiently, we will have someone analyze the flight record for you. Thanks.
2017-8-27
Use props
Pluggy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33251 ft
United Kingdom

Not wishing to interupt, but I have the same issue, but I am new enough to put it down to pilot error.

With gesture control activated, the face recognition is confirmed and the Sparks starts to fly. Yay!!

Holding up a flat palm, the results are not consistant. Usually the remote control is on the ground, so it tells me what is wrong. Face recognition confirmed etc. It also tells me if I am too close or too far away for gesture and I move to satisfy the error. Green lights ... Yay!!  I am in control. The problem is, keeping control. Only if I move really slowly can I maintain the green lights and I have so far not been able to take a selfie.
2017-8-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Pluggy Posted at 2017-8-27 23:33
Not wishing to interupt, but I have the same issue, but I am new enough to put it down to pilot error.

With gesture control activated, the face recognition is confirmed and the Sparks starts to fly. Yay!!

Please check the following elements, those things will affect the work performance.
1. The lens is dirty.
2. There are lots of people around you.
3.Not the latest firmware.
If the problem still exists,please keep us updated.
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sliderul Posted at 2017-8-25 17:45
I followed all of your instructions with no success. After successfully launching from my palm I could never get the AC to follow gestures. As I held my hand up and moved back and forth trying for recognition I would occasionally see a quick blink of green lights, but nothing more than that. I let the AC hover in place for over 3 minutes and it never attempted to land. My understanding that in gesture mode the AC will land after 1 minute of not detecting a gesture. The fact that it would hover indefinitely is another sign that it never went into gesture mode after being launched. I eventually was able to place my hand under the drone and it landed as it should. Here is a link to a DropBox file with the data and black box upload from DJI Assistant (I assume that's what you mean by flight log). https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o73qsaeld6pnf4b/AADtOPiIPBJr8IAuq0RndC4ia?dl=0

Please export all the flight data for us to analyze. The information in Dropbox is not enough for us to analyze. Once you provide the data to us, we will contact you as soon as possible. Thanks.
2017-8-28
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-28 02:02
Please export all the flight data for us to analyze. The information in Dropbox is not enough for us to analyze. Once you provide the data to us, we will contact you as soon as possible. Thanks.

Hi DJI Elektra.  One of the dialogs in the dji assistant 2 program asks for a mobile number.  No matter what format I use, it doesn't like the value I put in this field.  Can you provide an example of a mobile number that is in the proper format?
2017-8-28
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

Sometimes, i tried to just use my fist (like you are fist bumping) and it works better.
2017-8-28
Use props
Pluggy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33251 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-28 01:38
Please check the following elements, those things will affect the work performance.
1. The lens is dirty.

No, the lens and sensor were clean, I was on my own in the garden and updated to the new firmware on Friday evening
2017-8-28
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

I too have experienced this problem.

What I noticed is that sometimes upon powering on the Spark it will not enable any of the "intelligent flight modes". I can tell this because that "button" on the left side of the DJI Go 4 screen is simply missing sometimes.

To be clear, I powered on the Spark and then double tapped the back power button to enter face aware mode. But I always have my RC and phone connected when I do this so I could regain control of the thing in case it were to try to fly away. When you have the phone connected you can hear "face aware successful" when you double tap the rear power button. This was not happening and I investigated on my phone to find the "intelligent flight modes" button missing.

Simply restarting the Spark made the problem go away. I now think that it is related to the maximum distance reached bug (http://forum.dji.com/thread-110291-1-1.html).
Note: I have the latest firmware on all devices, batteries, etc.
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Pluggy Posted at 2017-8-28 05:14
No, the lens and sensor were clean, I was on my own in the garden and updated to the new firmware on Friday evening

Pluggy, any error showed in your app? Please try to change another environment and see if your drone can work well. You can follow the link and check your operation:
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-28 04:45
Hi DJI Elektra.  One of the dialogs in the dji assistant 2 program asks for a mobile number.  No matter what format I use, it doesn't like the value I put in this field.  Can you provide an example of a mobile number that is in the proper format?

Charles, please try to reinstall your Assistant 2. If it doesn't work, please provide me a screenshot and we will find out the problem. Thanks.
2017-8-28
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-28 18:37
Charles, please try to reinstall your Assistant 2. If it doesn't work, please provide me a screenshot and we will find out the problem. Thanks.

Here is the screen clipping of the dialog.  In this example I've not filled out any of the fields, but the problem I'm having is with the "mobile phone" field.  Every format I've tried for my phone number fails.

Dialog.png
2017-8-29
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-28 01:38
1. The lens is dirty.

Did as you suggested; confirmed lens is clean, there was no one near me and I had the latest firmware. I made two attempts at gesture control. In the first attempt I tried to start gesture control from the RC, the AC launched but would not recognize my hand signal. There were a couple of occasions where I would get a couple of blinks indicating I needed to get closer or further away - nothing worked. My second attempt was with the RC off and I palm launched with no problem - still would not recognize my hand signal to start gesture control. Below is a link to DropBox with all the Flight data I can find to send for both flight attempts. These include Data Upload for both flights and the Blackbox files obtained through DJI Assistant. I've also added the flight record from DJI Go 4, but that's just a JPG file. I don't know what else I can send. (I'm using the Android version and can't access DJI Go 4 data from iOS software.)

Link to Folder https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bveov ... HaRg09ouNJMIda?dl=0
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Sliderul Posted at 2017-8-29 10:17
Did as you suggested; confirmed lens is clean, there was no one near me and I had the latest firmware. I made two attempts at gesture control. In the first attempt I tried to start gesture control from the RC, the AC launched but would not recognize my hand signal. There were a couple of occasions where I would get a couple of blinks indicating I needed to get closer or further away - nothing worked. My second attempt was with the RC off and I palm launched with no problem - still would not recognize my hand signal to start gesture control. Below is a link to DropBox with all the Flight data I can find to send for both flight attempts. These include Data Upload for both flights and the Blackbox files obtained through DJI Assistant. I've also added the flight record from DJI Go 4, but that's just a JPG file. I don't know what else I can send. (I'm using the Android version and can't access DJI Go 4 data from iOS software.)

Link to Folder https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bveovj4g9nx6f86/AABtmyolKr_HaRg09ouNJMIda?dl=0

Thanks for your support, we are working on it. Please wait patiently and if you have any problem, i'm willing to help.
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-29 04:37
Here is the screen clipping of the dialog.  In this example I've not filled out any of the fields, but the problem I'm having is with the "mobile phone" field.  Every format I've tried for my phone number fails.

It seems to be a feedback dialog. Did you do any operation which was related to reflect problems or upload log through Assistant 2? You can show your feedback or problems there and I will help you solve the problem. Thanks.
2017-8-29
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-29 19:24
It seems to be a feedback dialog. Did you do any operation which was related to reflect problems or upload log through Assistant 2? You can show your feedback or problems there and I will help you solve the problem. Thanks.

DJI Elektra, I'm not sure what you are asking, so I'm not sure if this is a direct answer to your question, but here goes...

Twice in the forums a DJI Moderator has asked that I upload data files from my spark for their review.  Once was to review dronie malfunction (which has already been solved with the latest firmware) and once was to review a palm launch flop (which occurred the day of my installing every update for the latest firmware, august 21).

I've tried to upload this data, but this "mobile" field doesn't like the number I enter.  In any format I enter it.

I've tried (these numbers are not real, but show the format):

303-555-1212
(303) 555-1212
011 (303) 5551212

I'm sure there are a few others.  The field keeps rejecting my entry, and I'm unable to upload any data for DJI to review.

Note that I'm not terribly concerned:  These are not issues for which I've personal complaints.  But I do want to help DJI and the user community.  In particular, since I've experienced the "palm launch flop", my spark is ideal to use for evaluation.  I would love to give DJI my data and I would love to help solve this issue for the product.  But the application won't let me enter in a phone number.
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-30 05:16
DJI Elektra, I'm not sure what you are asking, so I'm not sure if this is a direct answer to your question, but here goes...

Twice in the forums a DJI Moderator has asked that I upload data files from my spark for their review.  Once was to review dronie malfunction (which has already been solved with the latest firmware) and once was to review a palm launch flop (which occurred the day of my installing every update for the latest firmware, august 21).

Sorry for the trouble it brings. Our engineers are working on this problem. If you want to upload your data, you can use DJI assistant to export your data and upload it to DropBox. Thanks.
2017-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules