1472 16 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trumpetrat
lvl.1

Isle of Man

Hi!

So, I'm in the market for a Mavic. I'm a photographer and also tech nerd lol

I love the idea of the Mavic and capabilities as a photographers tool.

The only thing making me hesitant are the issues cropping up regarding latest firmware and RAW files.

Are issues with the Mavic really that bad? or is it just that we're on a forum and forum users typically post more about faults than they do about success?
I shoot with 1DX's every day and have never had any faults or issues. I work in enviroments where they get bashed and knocked and go through 60k shutters activations annually (I use 3 bodies)... but search a canon forum and it'll be plagued with "issues" and "faults".

Is it the same for Mavic? Will two different users with the same firmware and hardware experience the same bugs and faults or are there just badly put together units floating about?
2017-8-29
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Are issues with the Mavic really that bad? or is it just that we're on a forum and forum users typically post more about faults than they do about success?"

You hit the nail right on the head.

If someone wanted to purchase a Mavic, they probably wouldn't want to look on here first b/c of the multiple neg threads but remember not all users may know how to use these copters.  I like to try and troubleshoot first before started a thread with an issue. I once had an issue trying to download recent FW and although I did ask around, I figured it out myself and downloaded the FW successfully. If your tech savvy to some degree, you're be just fine. I'd say def go for the MP. I own one and can't tell you much please I am with it.

2017-8-29
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

a 1dx shooter won't be happy with a MP, it's the camera equivalent of  micro 4/3rds

For the most  photographic capability you really  need to consider the Phantom 4 Pro with the larger sensor, better multi-element lens and mechanical shutter
2017-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

lannes Posted at 2017-8-29 05:15
a 1dx shooter won't be happy with a MP, it's the camera equivalent of  micro 4/3rds

For the most  photographic capability you really  need to consider the Phantom 4 Pro with the larger sensor, better multi-element lens and mechanical shutter

Probably even a compact, judging it's sensor size.
2017-8-29
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

if picture quality is essential for you then i recomend you check out image quality comparisons between mavic and other models.
2017-8-29
Use props
Fingers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

Photography is my passion and I too brought my Mavic for it's photography capability.  Sure there are possibly better options with regards to quality of image, but I love the portability; it doesn't matter how good a camera's performace is, if you haven't got it with you, it's pointless.  I can take my Mavic anywhere.

I use Nikon a D7000 and quality prime lenses for my normal photography and I'm a bit of a pixel peeper at times; so like a good quality image.  I'm pleased with my Mavic and the quality is fine. The unique angles that I can shoot from outweighs a drop in image quality.  I post process in Lightroom, which gives me images that I'm pleased with.  I'm getting good detail captured within the RAW files; I sometime postprocess some HDR images in photomatix which works well; tripod mode is so good on the Mavic that I can take mulipple exposures and process a good HDR image through photomatix.  RAW images are great for me to work with and I have had no  problems; before or after upgrading to FW .1000 (I do have a glitch at the moment preventig me from looking at my Flight Data).  

Another thing to consider is that some Mavic pilots are pushing the limits with regards range, speed etc (no critism, the Mavic is there to enjoy and have fun with).  However, my flights are generally planned well in advance , considering light conditions, time of day etc.  So I have had no issues whatsoever regarding Flight Performance.   I generally fly aware from people; mostly becasue they spoil my shots.  

As a hobby photographer with a decent level of skill and knowledge;  I cannot recommend the Mavic enough; I love it.  Get one!
2017-8-29
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Thumbs up for Fingers, pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Had my Mavic since Nov 16, zero problems all firmware updated on day of release.
Is it as good as my Canon 6D full frame sensor, No, but the Canon cant fly...
2017-8-29
Use props
UtahKevin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 301535 ft
United States

I'm also a photographer, I got the Mavic because of the possibilities  you can get with such a compact flying camera. I have had 0 problems with mine, I use and android phone and it works great. I've found myself wanting to do more video then before I got the Mavic, but I've also got some pretty great stills!
2017-8-29
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

or is it just that we're on a forum and forum users typically post more about faults than they do about success?

That sums it up. I have not had any issues to complain about.
2017-8-29
Use props
Trumpetrat
lvl.1

Isle of Man

That's for the replies guys... all very good reads, appreciate it.

Image quality is important, but as an initial venture into Aerial side of photography I liked the portability of the Mavic and the images i have seen from it look good. I will process in Photoshop for sure.

I'll see how it feels for a while.  
2017-8-29
Use props
Fingers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

Welcome to the club.
2017-8-29
Use props
Mazfilms
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19396 ft
United States

I too was hesitant on getting the Mavic as I searched tons of hours of reviews, footage, tips/tricks and forum posts. And in the end, the feeling of the controller in the hand and the quality of the drone are out of the ball park. Yes the app takes some time to learn and adjust all of the settings (Especially calibrating the drone out of the box). But as goes for files, I take the SD card out of the drone, into my MacBook and right onto my external hard drive, full 4k raw files and photos are saved as PNG's. As long as you take your time, research and learn, you will have a blast flying, filming and learning. Hope this helped!
2017-8-30
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Harbourside Posted at 2017-8-29 10:53
Thumbs up for Fingers, pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Had my Mavic since Nov 16, zero problems all firmware updated on day of release.
Is it as good as my Canon 6D full frame sensor, No, but the Canon cant fly...

I wouldn't say anything so precise as you said.
Congrats.
2017-8-30
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Forums are full of issues but you have to balance this with the thought that most people who purchase a product don't then go on forums and rant and rave about problems. Everything has problems we all know this but as far as I am concerned it is not just the camera, while this is amazing for its size, it's the ease of use, the portability....  Nothing else currently compares and it will all go in a holdall that is smaller than most SLR cameras will fit in.

Outside of forums, you will see five star reviews and these are based on all aspects the MP was designed around.

Go get one, have a play and tell me it's not worth the money.

2017-8-30
Use props
Timecut
lvl.1
Flight distance : 406608 ft
United States

I am also a photographer. Mavic is more like a 80D compare to 1DX. It is a prosumer drone. And issues can be different between IOS/Android, location and experience too
2017-8-30
Use props
TakeFlite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

A lot of people have probably had that hesitant thought of getting a DJI drone. They groom through the forums seeing all these posts about "crashing mavic" and "lost connection" and whatever. Thats a lot of what this forum gets used for. I've had no problems with mine and would definitely recommend it, especially if you good with your tech stuff you'll work it out quickly. If your really looking for an even better camera and the practicality and so on doesn't matter to much and you have a bit of a deeper pocket I'd probably grab a P4P. Just my opinion but can't go wrong with either of them! Good luck
2017-8-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I cannot agree more.
I have just not saved enough for a MP and the Spark lacks the 25fps recording (as of yet) I need.
I think the 'new' point of view a MP offers makes up for the loss in image quality between a prosumer DSLR and the MP.
Just take care of your settings and the lighting conditions and you should be fine.
2017-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules