Helical Range Extenders - MAXX "HD-Signal Mod"
2189 6 2017-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneNut51
lvl.2

United States

Anyone know the technology behind the new Maxx "HD-signal" Mod Kit?  Looks like a Helical antenna, and removal of the stock antenna.  
Does anyone know the details behind what exactly they are doing with the controller?

And also, isn't it a 2-way Street?  A mod to the controller doesn't effect the transmitter from Drone to Controller.

Specifically, I am talking about these guys here...

http://www.drone-world.com/dji-m ... e-plus-installation
2017-9-6
Use props
nicklansley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144951 ft
United Kingdom

Frankly I am concerned about this mod, based on looking at the pictures and content on the page you linked to.

Firstly, the antenna look like a corkscrew style which would create a circular polarised signal, when the Mavic's antennas (in the front feet) are 'straight', causing signal attenuation.

Secondly, the content promises no more than the range specified in the default Mavic FCC range specification!

Thirdly, those two extra plug connections on each antenna greatly attenuate signals and should be avoided (I know this as a radio amateur experienced in microwave signals of this sort).

My advice is that it is best to stay with what DJI have provided.
2017-9-6
Use props
Scott Ferguson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1425223 ft
United States

I wouldn't think more range on mavic would be very good given with my experience so far is that I can fly farther than what the battery will last to get me back. Had a few longer range flights that I was sweating bullets to get back before my battery died. (3.8ml)
2017-9-6
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

nicklansley Posted at 2017-9-6 12:59
Frankly I am concerned about this mod, based on looking at the pictures and content on the page you linked to.

Firstly, the antenna look like a corkscrew style which would create a circular polarised signal, when the Mavic's antennas (in the front feet) are 'straight', causing signal attenuation.

Agreed.  Not a very good idea in my opinion.  
2017-9-6
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

How much more range would you need and why?
2017-9-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We don't suggest using any third-party accessories for the safety of the flight, and it might affect your warranty, too. Thanks for your kind understanding.
2017-9-7
Use props
DroneNut51
lvl.2

United States

I'm not necessarily talking about adding the antennas for long range...I am talking about using them for boosted signal strength within medium-range.

At times, if I am flying anywhere near Powerlines or Trees, my signal strength is significantly effected even at ranges ~700m.  

I would want an increased signal to overcome obstacles at mid-range distances
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules