Sun glare solution
2656 8 2017-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

I'm new to the AP Drone scene, but have years experience in the racing/freestyle scene. Even the down and dirty fpv cams we use auto adjust quickly for different lighting. I flew straight up today and almost immediately lost the ability to navigate due to indirect sun glare. At first i thought it was just my tablet, but i stood under an umbrella and cranked my brightness. When i executed a yaw away from the sun, i was able to see again. Is this a settings issue, or is there a filter i need?
2017-9-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Can you post your camera setting here? Did you shoot a video?Please upload the video to DropBox and share the link. Thanks.
2017-9-6
Use props
Hotlush
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100367 ft
United Kingdom

Have you tried setting it to manual white balance?
2017-9-6
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

i did not record a video.  settings are default.

i'll try playing with white balance on the next sunny day.  i assumed it was capable of auto-selecting white balance.  i wonder if it would have lightened up if i panned down on the gimbal to point at the landscape instead of straight across where it was looking at the sky.  the more i think about it, that was probably the issue. with the bright blue sky and white clouds as the focus, the terrain was completely darkened to black.

i went ahead an ordered one of the polar pro polarized filters as well.  figured that may even it out a bit.
2017-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

WickedWingman Posted at 2017-9-7 05:13
i did not record a video.  settings are default.

i'll try playing with white balance on the next sunny day.  i assumed it was capable of auto-selecting white balance.  i wonder if it would have lightened up if i panned down on the gimbal to point at the landscape instead of straight across where it was looking at the sky.  the more i think about it, that was probably the issue. with the bright blue sky and white clouds as the focus, the terrain was completely darkened to black.

I guess the high contrast is playing tricks on the little sensor AND the lack of high grade glass in the Spark's lens system.
When you fly into the sun at a certain angle, it will cause for a lot of flare and ghosting.
Maybe a polarizer will help you, but I'm not sure about that.
Next time take a picture to test if this effect is also on the picture.
2017-9-7
Use props
WickedWingman
lvl.3
United States

did a little more today.  it wasn't quite as bad.  panning down helped A LOT.  seems like user error at this point.

also did some recording today as well.  it's definitely much brighter and more clear on the recording than it was on my tablet feed.   i'll have to look a little closer at my tablet settings.  i think brightness was turned all the way up and i was sitting under an umbrella.  does the app have settings as well?  
2017-9-7
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Try setting your white balance in your GO4 app.  This should fix this or try not to fly with AC facing in the direction of the SUN.  Change the angle slightly.  The other option is to get filters from PolarPro which will help reduce the glare.
2017-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

WickedWingman Posted at 2017-9-7 09:55
did a little more today.  it wasn't quite as bad.  panning down helped A LOT.  seems like user error at this point.

also did some recording today as well.  it's definitely much brighter and more clear on the recording than it was on my tablet feed.   i'll have to look a little closer at my tablet settings.  i think brightness was turned all the way up and i was sitting under an umbrella.  does the app have settings as well?

What tablet are you using?
2017-9-7
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Get a hat for the camera. They usually call it a sun hood.
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules