4662 18 2017-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PilotSmith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706539 ft
  • >>>
United States

[size=14.666666984558105px]Cell IPAD Mini vs Wifi IPAD Mini...

[size=14.666666984558105px]I am thinking about getting a new IPAD Mini for using with the DJI Go App only..  Can someone please tell me the pros / cons of both models and which one do you use and like?

[size=14.666666984558105px]thanks

2017-9-9
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ipad mini 2, 3 ,4 with LTE (cellular) has built in GPS.. and the wifi based iPad mini 2, 3, 4 dont hve built in GPS..    to be honest, not a big deal if you set home point to the aircraft before take off.    which you should do anyway at the very least.. and even if you use wifi model without gps the maps should lock into position based on take off coordinates anyway...so if map loaded it should still show correct position once aircraft has gps lock..

um, ya not much to really speak of about differences.. one can connect to cell towers if you have a sim card in it and its setup to work on the cell network (costs extra) and gps for setting new homepoint to urself if you moved to different location once its in the air (have to do manually)..  however i have wifi based iPad mini 2 and honestly only annoying thing is being somewhere and not having data to load maps.. i been overcoming by using my hotspot on my phone or in my car.. so no biggy, but it would work alot better if DJi, idk, let me download offline maps to use..

2017-9-9
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

No, the wifi iPad mini do have GPS built in.

The biggest difference in cell vs wifi is Follow Me, which requires cellular data.  If you have wifi iPad mini, and want to use follow me, you can tether to a cell phone.

I was debating between wifi and cell data versions, and gathered a lot of info on this forum to indicate very little difference between cell data and wifi.  I got wifi only iPad mini 4 and can confirm that maps are not an issue because GPS is built in.....
2017-9-9
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Are you sure?

iPad Mini 4 specs from Apple website:

--Location--        

All models: Digital compass, Wi‑Fi, iBeacon micro-location
Wi‑Fi + Cellular models: Assisted GPS and GLONASS, Mobile data

It seems that only the cellular versions have GPS...

2017-9-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-9-9 13:20
Are you sure?

iPad Mini 4 specs from Apple website:

It seems that only the cellular versions have GPS...

That's correct: only the cellular Mini 4 includes GPS.
2017-9-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

There are two things that won't work with a wifi-only Mini 4, but for many of us neither is a big deal:

• You can't dynamically reset the home point to the location of the remote.
  • You can't use Follow Me.

You also can't dynamically download map data directly to the tablet unless you're near a wifi hotspot, but again for most of us there's any easy workaround: just bring along a cell phone that can be used as a mobile hotspot and give the Mini 4 internet access by connecting to it.

2017-9-9
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

I allready knew that... did some research before I bought my iPad 4 Mini... NoSale should have done that also...  
2017-9-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-9-9 10:58
No, the wifi iPad mini do have GPS built in.

The biggest difference in cell vs wifi is Follow Me, which requires cellular data.  If you have wifi iPad mini, and want to use follow me, you can tether to a cell phone.

I got wifi only iPad mini 4 and can confirm that maps are not an issue because GPS is built in.....

The GPS that's being used to determine what map data to load is the one provided by the Mavic, not your wifi-only Mini 4, which as Mari pointed out doesn't have GPS built in.
2017-9-9
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I have the Ipad Mini 4 with cellular. I have never had a problem with it and everything in the DJO GO 4 app functions properly.  If price is not an issue don't even bother with the wifi version.
2017-9-9
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cellular version only have GPS. That said, the WiFi only version will work absolutely fine with or without a data connection/tether to your phone.
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

There is a very tiny thing I wanna add, please kindly note that GPS module is needed on a mobile device if the user wants to use Follow Me Flight Mode and RC's Current Position as Home Point. And WiFi version doesn't equip with GPS model.
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-10 22:54
There is a very tiny thing I wanna add, please kindly note that GPS module is needed on a mobile device if the user wants to use Follow Me Flight Mode and RC's Current Position as Home Point. And WiFi version doesn't equip with GPS model.

can we have offline maps on iOS version?   
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-10 23:09
can we have offline maps on iOS version?

Sorry. Not yet.
2017-9-11
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

very frustrating, but im not going to let up on this issue..  i think it is needed..  {:4_142:}
2017-9-11
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-9 13:35
There are two things that won't work with a wifi-only Mini 4, but for many of us neither is a big deal:

And, in my opinion, those are two important things not to care about.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-11 07:08
very frustrating, but im not going to let up on this issue..  i think it is needed..  {:4_142:}

We understand. And I had forwarded this need to our engineers since the first time I replied you. Think it would be available if it is possible.
2017-9-12
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-12 01:06
We understand. And I had forwarded this need to our engineers since the first time I replied you. Think it would be available if it is possible.

possible with other applications in iOS to passively use google maps offline.  not possible to install apple maps offline however, so once dji returns to using google maps API on the app and device level it wouldn't be difficult.. last i checked other day Google maps usage is free via the api if the application is installed, only time not free to use is if you use webkit version(which would be stupid anyway).  also if you download offline maps in google maps the api allows you to hook into those as well.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-9-10 01:58
Cellular version only have GPS. That said, the WiFi only version will work absolutely fine with or without a data connection/tether to your phone.

You can always cache the maps through a Wi Fi modem before flying. You do not need an iPad that has a data connection.
2017-9-12
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I just turned off the cellular on my iPad mini-4 today. I hardly ever use it. I mostly fly my Mavic Pro with my phone 7 Plus anyway since it is always with me and makes getting in the air a snap. I thought I would miss the larger screen, but I don't. And like others said, I can use my phone as a hotspot if I really ever need to.
2017-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules