Question about DJI Developer for Phantom 4
596 7 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ornithopter
New

United States

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not, could you lead me to the right place?
I'm in a school learning how to build mobile applications. DJI provides tools and applications to help you develop your own apps.

There's a tutorial showing you how to make simulated flight using virtual sticks on your phone: https://developer.dji.com/mobile ... /SimulatorDemo.html

Is it possible to create an app that lets you build an app that lets you fly the drone with just the virtual sticks and without a remote controller?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm not really knowledgeable about this subject, I'm new to both DJI drones and building mobile apps.

Thanks!
2017-9-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Waayyyyy outta my league!
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

I doubt it if you are using Phantom 4. There are no scenarios when you would not be using the remote. Therefore, you would have your hands full on that.
2017-9-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'Is it possible to create an app that lets you build an app that lets you fly the drone with just the virtual sticks and without a remote controller?'

No, absolutely not. The remote is a radio transmitter, so there is no way to control the aircraft without using that transmitter.
2017-9-15
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

If you can talk DJI into allowing you access to their code structure and base programing keys that are exclusive to DJI firmware and software, then yes it is possible.  The impossible part is getting a billion dollar industry to allow a student such access to their "top secret" programming.  Good luck though!
2017-9-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mavic can be controlled via Wi-fi from your phone or device use virtual joysticks, the aircraft needs to be switched to Wi-fi mode. I’m sure the Spark is similar. So in that respect it’s already been done. But I’m sure one of the DJI mods might be able to advise in terms of development of other applications.
2017-9-15
Use props
n1ghtwish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 677953 ft
United States

Theoretically it's possible, the controller is technically transmitting on the same band as WiFi.  You just won't get the range since phones don't have external antenna.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Phantom 4 is not available to do this. Maybe you can consider Mavic Pro.
2017-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules