Compatibility with Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus?
12818 23 2017-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

I am sorely tempted to buy the new Mavic Pro Platinum but after doing some minor research online, seems that DJI doesn't seem all that keen on supporting Android phones.  At least that is the impression, right or wrong, that I got.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ that I got very recently.  Honestly, my first, as I resisted getting drawn into the smart phone stuff.  But be that as it may, I'm not about to go out an buy an Apple phone or tablet just to use with this drone.

So obviously my question is, how compatible is this Mavic with the phone I intend to use?  Any users here using that phone with their Mavic?

I'm pretty much a green novice, but I did play around with what I consider as "toy quality" drones for a while with the intention of buying up to something a bit more interesting.  But honestly, back then, I took a hard look at what was available, and just decided that the risk was far too great of me watching $2,000 just taking wing off into the woods, and decided it just wasn't for me.  I know there is still a risk, but it seems like this has all matured enough to where the risk has been reduced enough to make this a reasonable choice to make.  Providing, of course, that the S8+ I have is compatible.

I appreciate any advice and/or info you can all share with me.

Thank you.
2017-10-29
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I use a samsung galaxy s8+ and it works great to be honest i also have my screen in 1080p mode because of the weird aspect ratio I think there was problems with the app before so honestly could be fixed by now so instead of the higher-resolution I just keep it in 1080P mode with the screen. Other than that it works great with the mavic pro. I don't get any disconnects, transmission is great, no laginess,everythingg works awesome!
2017-10-29
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I have a Nexus 6 and a Pixel XL for Android and an iPhone 6S+ and no problems that weren't my own.....
Just got back from flying 2 batteries worth.........40 minutes or so and not one problem.

2017-10-29
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

+1 for Galaxy S8+. I have my S8+ at 1080p and the app hasn't crashed mid-flight (yet). The app is buggy on other parts (inaccurate stats at times, flight records bugged, etc.) but it's nice in terms of stability and responsiveness. I always set my RTH before flight just in case and make sure the altitude is good enough to not hit objects.
2017-10-29
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

OK, thank you for the feedback.  Sounding promising.  I live in a heavily wooded area, so the last thing I need is a glitch that causes me to lose control of the drone, even momentarily.  I live right on the edge of the Apalachicola National Forest, where there is just miles and miles of, well, miles and miles.    I probably should break out one of my toy drones and bone up on the controls a little bit, I guess. I'm sure I am quite rusty by now.

Speaking of which, I am presuming that the RTH function can be tailored such that I can designate the height the drone needs to reach before heading back.  I would want it to go straight up at least 100 ft before heading back to drop straight down on home base.
2017-10-29
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

Rich Z Posted at 2017-10-29 16:59
OK, thank you for the feedback.  Sounding promising.  I live in a heavily wooded area, so the last thing I need is a glitch that causes me to lose control of the drone, even momentarily.  I live right on the edge of the Apalachicola National Forest, where there is just miles and miles of, well, miles and miles.    I probably should break out one of my toy drones and bone up on the controls a little bit, I guess. I'm sure I am quite rusty by now.

Speaking of which, I am presuming that the RTH function can be tailored such that I can designate the height the drone needs to reach before heading back.  I would want it to go straight up at least 100 ft before heading back to drop straight down on home base.

Default RTH height is set at 30 meters (so close to 100 feet), but I would add at least another 30 feet to the highest object around the flying area just to be safe.
2017-10-29
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Yep you can add whatever height you like just convert meters to feet it will go straight up and then return home. But! If you are close to the home point it will just descend right there so be careful I think it's like 20 meters? definitely read the manual.
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Samsung S8 is on the support list of the compatible device, so it will work with DJI GO/DJI GO 4. In this case, should you have any questions about the compatibility issue of this device, please report to us. Thank you. SSS7.png
2017-10-29
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-29 19:33
Samsung S8 is on the support list of the compatible device, so it will work with DJI GO/DJI GO 4. In this case, should you have any questions about the compatibility issue of this device, please report to us. Thank you.[view_image]

Yes, I did see that, but since it didn't specifically list the S8+, I thought perhaps that could be significant.  You know, details, and that sort of thing.  Best not to make assumptions.....
2017-10-29
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

I actually sent an email to DJI support about my question here, and got a response indicating that I could just download the app to my S8+ and if it runs fine without triggering any errors, then I shouldn't have any problems.  Eh?  I hate to sound skeptical, but heck, I am.  So true or false?

How can this check out anything concerning connectivity with the drone if I don't even have the drone yet?  Obviously I want to know some answers before forking over my credit card info to buy one of these things, because if it doesn't work out fine, then where am I then?  Speaking of which, does DJI have any sort of return policy time period as a safety net if this just happens to not work at all right out of the box?

Been watching videos of the Mavic Pro Platinum, and I have to admit it's pretty impressive.  Wish it would do 4K/60fps and had collision sensors all the way around the drone, but I guess it is what it is.  Guess I can't have everything....
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Rich Z Posted at 2017-10-29 21:37
I actually sent an email to DJI support about my question here, and got a response indicating that I could just download the app to my S8+ and if it runs fine without triggering any errors, then I shouldn't have any problems.  Eh?  I hate to sound skeptical, but heck, I am.  So true or false?

How can this check out anything concerning connectivity with the drone if I don't even have the drone yet?  Obviously I want to know some answers before forking over my credit card info to buy one of these things, because if it doesn't work out fine, then where am I then?  Speaking of which, does DJI have any sort of return policy time period as a safety net if this just happens to not work at all right out of the box?

It is a good choice to download DJI GO 4 app to test. There are too many Android devices in the market, it is too difficult to test all of them, so we can not promise if those devices that aren't on the support list will be compatible with DJI GO/4 or not. So it might need users try themselves.
At the meanwhile, I have also forwarded to the engineers to confirm if it includes Sansumg S8 plus. Will come back once I hear something.
2017-10-30
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-30 23:10
It is a good choice to download DJI GO 4 app to test. There are too many Android devices in the market, it is too difficult to test all of them, so we can not promise if those devices that aren't on the support list will be compatible with DJI GO/4 or not. So it might need users try themselves.
At the meanwhile, I have also forwarded to the engineers to confirm if it includes Sansumg S8 plus. Will come back once I hear something.

Thank you.  I thought I read here on this forum that there was an update to the DJI GO 4 app, but it was for Apple products only.  I figured that the Android update would be forthcoming soon, so no sense in doing a test download till that update takes place.  Is t here any ETA on this Android version update?
2017-10-31
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

No problems with the S8+.  Just tweak the display format to FHD+
2017-10-31
Use props
fans5aee5495
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2017-10-31 09:06
No problems with the S8+.  Just tweak the display format to FHD+

Galaxy S8+ working without fault.
2017-10-31
Use props
Anthony Sparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50305 ft
Australia

I have a mavic pro running Samsung 8+ no issue here just a pain when screen in 1080p mode and I get a measage on phone saying its not supported beside that all good
2017-10-31
Use props
Rich Z
lvl.1

United States

OK, sounding good.  Thanks for the feedback.  I guess I just have to wait for the platinum model to get to my preferred retail shop.
2017-10-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Rich Z Posted at 2017-10-31 08:04
Thank you.  I thought I read here on this forum that there was an update to the DJI GO 4 app, but it was for Apple products only.  I figured that the Android update would be forthcoming soon, so no sense in doing a test download till that update takes place.  Is t here any ETA on this Android version update?

Yeah, it would be better to test with the latest app. V4.1.14 has released by phase. I don't have a time frame when it will be released to all users. Please wait patiently.
2017-11-1
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
New Zealand

I've got the Samsung S8 and it works completely fine
2017-11-6
Use props
Ram2017
New
Flight distance : 535531 ft
Sri Lanka

I have been using my Mavic Pro with a Samsung Note 5 and updated firmware. No issues at all flying for over 6 months.
Recently I acquired a Samsung S8+ and flew. With updated firmware.After few minutes of flying I lost connection with the drone.  Disconnected in red. With frozen view in black and white in phone display.
Little jittery to fly now with S8+ .
2018-1-12
Use props
martin joãoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 945105 ft
Luxembourg

Another thumbs up for S8+
Had been using a S5 which had sometimes lag issues, S8+ working w/o glitch
2018-1-14
Use props
fansb4c2bd1a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 462572 ft
United States

I have a mavic pro i just bought and a s8+ and every flight the app closes and I lose my flight logs when it happens!!!will changing screen resolution fix that or is there something else I can do
2018-1-20
Use props
fans558d6bea
New

India

Hi. I recently bought a samsung galaxy s8 plus. Tried flying my Mavic for the first time using my new phone but it just won't connect. The remote controller does connect to the aircraft but there's no live view (The phone does starts charging). I probably tried all the troubleshooting techinques like
1.) Reinstalling the app.
2.) Changing the connector cable.
3.) Restarting the Remote / aircraft / phone.
4.) Enabling the Developer mode.
5.) Using the QR code on DJI's website to download the DJI Go 4 app.

Please help.
Screenshot_20180126-101812.png
Screenshot_20180126-101939.png
2018-1-25
Use props
Rambler
New
Flight distance : 12051 ft
Sweden

fans558d6bea Posted at 2018-1-25 22:02
Hi. I recently bought a samsung galaxy s8 plus. Tried flying my Mavic for the first time using my new phone but it just won't connect. The remote controller does connect to the aircraft but there's no live view (The phone does starts charging). I probably tried all the troubleshooting techinques like
1.) Reinstalling the app.
2.) Changing the connector cable.

I have the exactly the same problem!! Only difference is that it worked 3 months ago when i last flew the drone. Often got disconnections between the app and the remote.

I have updated today to latest firmware on both drone and RC but still no connection to DJI app.

Please advise on how to proceed.
2018-3-16
Use props
BASE1864
lvl.1
Australia

Forget it... I have the S8 and every time you try to enter the mode on the left, it minimises the program. I simply cannot use this device with this phone. Constantly fighting to get it to show the tracking mode.
It is simply poor app development on DJIs part to not realise that they put the button exactly where the navigation bar is.
2018-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules