Tablets vs Cell Phones
4482 25 2017-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JNevs
lvl.1
United States

I'm considering purchasing a tablet to fly my mavic pro with. I currently fly with my cell phone in the DJI Go 4 app (Samsung Galaxy S6) but between the 2 DJI Go apps (I have a Phantom 3 Standard as well) and my other apps, I'm running out of space on my phone.

My question is, is there a distinct advantage in flying with a tablet vs a cell phone? Is it worth having a bigger screen to fly with in a tablet? If so, which tablet would some of you recommend? I obviously would like something that can be fast enough to support video and whatnot without lag.

Thanks for your help!
2017-11-23
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm running a Samsung Tab S2 8in in mine. the tablet basicly is only used for the drone so everything is off the tablet minus the Go4 app. picked up a small usb cable that plugs into the usb on bottom of the remote and has the 90degree micro as you can see. myself i like the tablet over phone for the obviouly bigger screen. mavic.jpg

by the way i tried using my Samsung Tab A 7in which was smaller and fit a tad better but unfortunatley was not powerful enough to run the Go4 and the live video feed was laggy and glitchy
mavic5.jpg
2017-11-23
Use props
Monkey 1
New
Flight distance : 98990 ft
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2017-11-23 19:19
I'm running a Samsung Tab S2 8in in mine. the tablet basicly is only used for the drone so everything is off the tablet minus the Go4 app. picked up a small usb cable that plugs into the usb on bottom of the remote and has the 90degree micro as you can see. myself i like the tablet over phone for the obviouly bigger screen.[view_image]

by the way i tried using my Samsung Tab A 7in which was smaller and fit a tad better but unfortunatley was not powerful enough to run the Go4 and the live video feed was laggy and glitchy

Did you ever get it to work?
2017-11-23
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Monkey 1 Posted at 2017-11-23 20:29
Did you ever get it to work?

the tab S2 8in works perfectly.

the tab A 7in dont work
2017-11-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I would recommend you use the devices in the recommended list. I think both tablet and cell phone in the list can work well.
mavic list.JPG
2017-11-23
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Obviously the comparison is the screen size and being able to see more of the flying area. I never use my phone to fly as find that with the app open and the on screen info, I can't see clearly enough. I have always used my iPad mini 3 and 4. In regards to power and being fast enough, some smart phones are just as powerful and in some more powerful than a tablet so it comes down to personal preference on this one. The changes and additions to the app are forever needing more power to use the functions correctly and safely though. Mavic in sport mode is way better soon a tablet screen as you need to be able to see at the speeds it flies. I just wouldn't feel safe just using a phone. For me it comes down to being able to see what I'm shooting and where I'm flying, with the ability to have a better general picture and awareness of what's in the area.
2017-11-23
Use props
JNevs
lvl.1
United States

How big of a tablet can I use if I were to purchase the tablet mount for the controller? I have a friend who uses the ipad mini 4 with his inspire 2 but that's a different remote, obviously.  Approximately what processing speed should I be looking out for when looking at tablets?

Sorry for the 50 million questions!
2017-11-24
Use props
JNevs
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-11-23 23:02
I would recommend you use the devices in the recommended list. I think both tablet and cell phone in the list can work well.

Thanks, I'll check it out
2017-11-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am not sure yet. I will start with my iPhone SE and possibly upgrade as soon as needed.
2017-11-25
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

The iPad Mini fits the Mavic controller perfectly. I use a dedicated Mini 2 32 WiFi only works pretty well, but there has been times i wish i had more processor. I will be getting a Mini 4 very soon. The mini is very light, gives you max screen for the controller, and still fits in the small "Combo" bag with all 3 batteries, MP and RC, which is most important...
2017-11-25
Use props
Camogreg 9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 528228 ft
Switzerland

I fly with an iPad mini 4 wifi and cellular ! Screen is perfect ! Good weight and never had any issue !
2017-11-25
Use props
JNevs
lvl.1
United States

Does anyone know anything about the Crystal Sky Monitor from DJI? Does it require a data connection for gps or no?
2017-11-25
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

JNevs Posted at 2017-11-25 17:24
Does anyone know anything about the Crystal Sky Monitor from DJI? Does it require a data connection for gps or no?

I don't know for sure but from what I understand, it doesn't.
2017-11-25
Use props
peorge9566
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19547 ft
United States

JNevs Posted at 2017-11-24 18:57
How big of a tablet can I use if I were to purchase the tablet mount for the controller? I have a friend who uses the ipad mini 4 with his inspire 2 but that's a different remote, obviously.  Approximately what processing speed should I be looking out for when looking at tablets?

Sorry for the 50 million questions!

Buy the tablet addon. It is only $16 U.S. and will allow a much bigger screen. I just use my iPhone 8+ and it is great for now. At 51 I would guess that might be too small in a few years.
2017-11-25
Use props
JNevs
lvl.1
United States

peorge9566 Posted at 2017-11-25 18:01
Buy the tablet addon. It is only $16 U.S. and will allow a much bigger screen. I just use my iPhone 8+ and it is great for now. At 51 I would guess that might be too small in a few years.

I just use my Galaxy S6 but the thought of a bigger and brighter screen would be nice. However, I can't justify spending $400 plus $120 a year for the tablet and data connection when I really don't have a need for the tablet outside of flying.
2017-11-25
Use props
40buickcoupe
lvl.2
United States

I bought my pro platinum used my phone for 2 days then bought a mini 4 128 gb with cell just did not activate it. The nice thing with the 128 gb stores lots of data and love the screen fits like a glove. I bought a 6" right angle lighting cable and plug into the bottom USB. I also found lots of complaints about loosing phone connection with controller due to the wimpy little cables they give you so with this setup I wont have those issues.
2017-11-25
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

guess my comment #2 has been getting overlooked. you dont need a tablet mount if you have the right size tablet. also the wifi tablet works fine, and you can grab a decnt used one sometimes $150-200, i snagged my Samsung brand new on ebay for $220 which isnt on DJI list but my P3 4k, Inspire 1 Pro and Mavic all work just fine, no issues
2017-11-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I can't fault my iPad Mini2 (<$100), and the added visibility is great, but use my iPhone 7+ when I'm in a hurry to get airborne.  I also have the 3D printed holder for the Mavic controller and use it with the strap for so I don't have to hold the controller.
2017-11-25
Use props
JNevs
lvl.1
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2017-11-25 19:01
guess my comment #2 has been getting overlooked. you dont need a tablet mount if you have the right size tablet. also the wifi tablet works fine, and you can grab a decnt used one sometimes $150-200, i snagged my Samsung brand new on ebay for $220 which isnt on DJI list but my P3 4k, Inspire 1 Pro and Mavic all work just fine, no issues

So you're saying I can fly my mavic, which does not connect to my phone or anything via wifi like others do, using the wifi version of an ipad? Wouldn't the affect the gps and maps or is that done through the controller?
2017-11-26
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

you do loose the GPS and maps if using the tablet, but if your phone does mobile hotspot then you can connect the tablet to the WiFi of your phone. me though im not concerned with the GPS of the follow me and stuff. the Mavic itself has its own GPS so it uses that to RTH
2017-11-26
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Once you use a tablet you would never want to fly using your phone.  
2017-11-26
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

IOS 5.5 cell screen does the job for me.
2017-11-26
Use props
BigBird2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2017-11-25 19:01

I just tried it with my Ipad mini2 and it works perfectly without the adapter. Makes it more easier to hold that with the adapter. (so I guess I got the adapter for nothing, oh well....  (grin)
2017-11-26
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
Flight distance : 408343 ft
Taiwan

iPad mini is the best tablet for Mavic.  Its fits just right, light enough, very good battery, and bright screen.  iOS is the most stable for DJI Go.
2017-11-26
Use props
fans1597f4b2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113215 ft
United States

I use a iPad mini 4 and it works great. It fits into the controller arms and it is easier to see what I am filming. I started with an iPhone 6 plus but I'm glad I moved up to iPad mini 4
2017-11-28
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 2017-11-26 10:07
you do loose the GPS and maps if using the tablet, but if your phone does mobile hotspot then you can connect the tablet to the WiFi of your phone. me though im not concerned with the GPS of the follow me and stuff. the Mavic itself has its own GPS so it uses that to RTH

Depends on the tablet, I use an iPad Mini 4 with 4G LTE built in, so I always have gps and maps.
2017-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules