Which Android tablet?
1112 5 2017-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul-h
lvl.2
Flight distance : 400817 ft
United Kingdom

I have a P4 and since I bought it a year ago either the DJI software has become more resource intensive or the tablet (Google Nexus 10) has slowed down but I find now it's pretty much unusable. The worst part is the video link - it seems to lag so much it makes it impossible to figure out what's going on!

The app and video link work fine with a recently phone so I think the problem is the old tablet and it's time to replace it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced tablet in the 8"-10" range that would give good performance for the video link etc. on the DJI app? I don't use the tablet for much else so I don't want to spend a fortune.

2017-12-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha paul,

If you can get your hands on an nVidia Shield K1, it is still the best but is discontinued.  In lieu of that try the ASUS Zenpad 3S 9.7.  That is the one I have my eye on if I have to get another tablet.  It is less than $300 US and quite strong.

The screen is 9.7 inch (very high resolution, greater than 1080p) and has a Hexacore processor.  Look up the specs to see it is quite capable.  Dirty Bird also has one and says it works very well for him.  I researched it based on his recommendations.

Otherwise, since it is that time of the year, you can search for articles like, "Best Android Tablets for 2018".  They will list many different tablets that you can research for the specifications you want.  BTW, if you see references to gaming tablets - that is good.  We fly tablets that are best when they are the best gaming tablets available.  Gaming requires great resolution in the display and very powerful processors.  That also works great for our Phantoms to.  And usually, the DJI engineers like the more powerful and higher resolution tablets, but once in a while there are problems with tablet upgrades and tablet firmware updates like what happened with the nVidia Shield K1 last year.  It works great today though!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Paul, I'm afraid that only a few Android tablets have been fully tested: https://www.dji.com/phantom-4/in ... te_search#downloads I'd suggest to check the performance first before making the decision.
2017-12-4
Use props
bredgi
New
United States

For those interested in a cheap tablet that has been working for me with DJI Go or Litchi, is a Nextbook ARES 8 . Bought at Walmart for $65.....the 10" was $99.  They don't have GPS but that is only needed for follow me feature or moving your homepoint to new location after launch.
2017-12-5
Use props
bredgi
New
United States

This works on P3 advanced anyway.....not sure about P4  
2017-12-5
Use props
Yeldarb123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1376312 ft
Australia

Yes I have noticed the DJI Go app is getting more memory intensive with each release and subsequently I am in the same boat where the latest app won’t run on either of my low end Samsung Tab A machines. You could try turning the video recording feed to the controller off as this was the one thing the killed both my Tablets.
2017-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules