Osmo+ has a constant black smudge on video/photo.
828 6 2017-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlexRoxy
lvl.2
United States

So I recently went to use my 7 month old Osmo+ for the first time in a few weeks, when I noticed a black smudge/defect on top right corner. It is apparent during both video/photo and worsens (darkens) when zoomed in. At first I thought that this was due to dust of some other gunk stuck to my stock UV filter or directly on the camera glass so I thoroughly cleaned both. Upon retesting the smudge was still there. I messaged support and filed for a repair and mailed it in on Friday (12/8.)  I really hope I’m not charged for this and wish I realized shipping to them was via slow UPS ground, I would have gladly paid for priority USPS. I suspect it maybe a defective sensor or possibly a dust inside the enclosed gimbal head in front of the sensor.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

In this photo you can clearly see the smudge/mark on the top right. This photo was taken at 77mm full zoom.

This is a video showing the smudge and how it intensifies during zoom.

Here are two photos of the gimbal camera without the UV Filter to show its condition and clean glass.

Does anyone have any idea how long it’ll take to get back to me?

My only worry I won’t get it back in time as I’ll be traveling to backpack throughout the Philippines and Japan for a month on January 8th. I was really excited to finally have a solid use for my Osmo+ and capture my adventures.

Thanks

Case Number:  CAS-1287113-R3S1F5

2017-12-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, Alex. Sorry for the unexpected experience. I believe that our designated department will take a good care of it. If you encounter any problem during the repair, please inform us.  
2017-12-9
Use props
AlexRoxy
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, DJI Electra.
Would you happen to know of anyone else having a problem such as mine? This type of issue should be covered under warranty, correct? If so how long do you think the total repair time will take? Would it be possible for me to pay for expedited shipping service back to me once it is repaired?

I'm just very worried that it won't be back in my hands before my trip in early January as I have read about very long repair times on this forum.

Thank you so much for all your help DJI Electra.
-Alex
2017-12-11
Use props
AlexRoxy
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE: 12/27/17
I recently got an email from DJI and they quoted me a $73 charge for what should be a simple disassembly and sensor cleaning. I've done this countless times on my DSLR's and would have tried on the Osmo+ if it wasn't under warranty. Here is what the quote said:

Case No: CAS-1287113-R3S1F5
DJI Care Balance:        
Quote Date: 12-27-17
Remarks: Technotes: - Osmo+plus camera/gimbal 09RDEB20000278 - Visible speck in the videos. - No DJI Care. - No Proof of purchase.

Item          Quantity           Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD)
Camera Interior Ring        1        8.00        8.00
Repair Service Fee        1        65.00/H        65.00
Freight:                                         0.00
Total Amount:                        73.00
DJI Care deduction:                0.00
Total Payment:                        73.00

This is absolutely ridiculous, what does the "camera internal ring" have to do with this? Also why am I being charged if my unit was in perfect working order except for what i would assume is dust on the sensor due to a low quality build. I called DJI and they told me the charge could be due to not having attached a proof of purchase, so immediately I emailed him the proof of purchase I have from amazon. They said it might take another 3 business days to "look over" the proof of purchase. At this rate I have little confidence that I'll be receiving my unit before my trip on January 8th. After spending $650 for the Osmo+, I feel like they are just trying to find any reason to squeeze more money out of their customers. Please can any administrator help me out?
-Alex
2017-12-27
Use props
AlexRoxy
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE: 12/28/17
DJI Repair has amended the situation in a timely manner. They emailed me a few minutes ago stating "Your product sent back qualifies for repair under warranty. Repair will be finished within three to six business days." I guess they just needed proof that the unit was still under warranty, so make sure you send in the proof of purchase copy with every repair you initiate. Now my only concern is this 3-6 business day repair time plus who knows how long shipping all the way from California to Florida will take. I've got about 10 days left until my trip and I'm really hoping it gets repaired before the quoted time. Does  anyone know if DJI offers next day  or 2nd day delivery? I wouldn't mind paying for the shipping to guarantee it'll be in my hands before January 8th.
Thanks
-Alex
2017-12-28
Use props
AlexRoxy
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE: 1/2/18 Day 26
DJI emailed me today stating the repair is complete and it'll ship within 3 business days. I'm slowly losing hope that it'll be here before my early morning flight on Monday. I called support and asked if I could go ahead and pay for next day shipping but they very nicely told me that my repair has been escalated and I should get an email from logistics tomorrow. I really hope it gets shipped out tomorrow via air so I can stop worrying about this.
2018-1-2
Use props
AlexRoxy
lvl.2
United States

Update: 1/4/18 Day 28
Got an email yesterday saying my Omso+ has shipped and to my surprise via UPS Next Day Air. Today it finally arrived at 7:30pm. I'm very impressed with DJI repair services they were quick and after only a few calls they were able to understand my situation and prioritize my case. I have tested the Osmo+ and everything seems to be in 100% working order. I would like to thank DJI for their promp response and quick shipment.
-Alex
2018-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules