Best way to video someone waterskiing....
643 4 2017-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jayh410
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

So, what successful methods have people used to film people waterskiing.  Next summer I've got a friend who wants some footage captured.  So, one thing is, when waterskiing he and the boat are moving about 40 MPH and since the mavic top speed is about 25, how's that work?  Obviously you won't be just doing a same speed follow me.  Is there a good distance where shooting a few minutes of action you'll keep him in frame?
  I'm not a real videographer so this is totally new to me.  Any techniques or methodology that I could work on prior to filming my friend would be greatly appreciated.  Any links to similar footage would be cool.  Yeah, I know.... youtube or vimeo with search:  "dji mavic waterski" would probably get me in the ballpark but an explanation of how the footage was captured would be appreciated.  
  Other question is, does anyone use the "follow me" mode for this kind of video capture?  Is there a preferred mode?

Thanks,
  Jay

2017-12-19
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Interesting questions. I've never tried something like this, so I don't have any answers, just some thoughts...

In sport mode can't the Mavic can get to about 40mph?

As far as follow me mode, I would probably try to key on the boat while it's stopped. Frame it so it's back far enough to get both the boat and the skier.

Until next summer, I would just try my hand at flying in as similar situations as possible...
2017-12-19
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1218379 ft
United States

Have the driver slow down to 30mph or so.  The boat doesn't HAVE to go 40mph unless the skier is doing extreme tricks or barefoot skiing.  A 200lb skier needs a boat going 40mph to ski barefoot but most other tricks can be done at a slower speed.
2017-12-19
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2017-12-19 09:45
Have the driver slow down to 30mph or so.  The boat doesn't HAVE to go 40mph unless the skier is doing extreme tricks or barefoot skiing.  A 200lb skier needs a boat going 40mph to ski barefoot but most other tricks can be done at a slower speed.

yup, he's a barefooter.  Pretty good at it too.  
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

jayh410 Posted at 2017-12-20 04:40
yup, he's a barefooter.  Pretty good at it too.

Hi, Jay. I would recommend you choose a river with low speed of water and have less interference. You can try to use follow me to help you finish the video. Hope you can shoot a perfect video.
2017-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules