System requirements for 4k/2.7k video editing
11213 11 2017-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Hello,

I recently purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum. So far I have only had time to take it for a few test flights, but soon I hope to do some proper filming and editing. I have done some filming and editing with my DSLR camera before, but other than that I am new to this.

Yesterday I watched some tutorials about color grading and editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and I realised that my laptop probably isn't good enough to edit videos in 4k. This was something I had not considerd before (as I said, I am new to this).

My current laptop is a Samsung Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU@2.00 GHz 2.50 GHZ with 4.00 GB RAM. I was thinking about upgrading anyway, but after buying the MPP and with Christmas around the corner, this is not an option for me at the moment.

My questions are: Do you guys think I could at least edit videos in 2.7k with my current laptop? What is the problem with editing on a slow computer? Is it just that rendering takes forever, or could a slow computer compromise the quality of the final video in some other way? If it only effects the rendering time I could leave the computer over night and let it render then. Also, is it just rendering that takes long, or will the editing process also be slow? If not, I guess I could create a project and do all the editing on my laptop, then use another, better, computer for rendering.

All answers are much appreciated!

/krihamm
2017-12-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Down side is some computers can’t handle 2.7 or 4K I purchased a Lennox so I could edit. Suggestions would be shot a short video and see if you can edit.
2017-12-21
Use props
famorim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1595574 ft
Brazil

The most important in that case is the GPU the computer you own have. The video editing performance is related about the video board you have. I was using a Nvidia GTX 750ti, it was handling 720p and 1080 very well. But it is a pain in the ass when I need to process 2.7k and 4k videos. So I switched to Radeon RX580 8Gb and now my mac is working very well.
2017-12-21
Use props
Sim-Y
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75502 ft
United Kingdom

famorim Posted at 2017-12-21 06:53
The most important in that case is the GPU the computer you own have. The video editing performance is related about the video board you have. I was using a Nvidia GTX 750ti, it was handling 720p and 1080 very well. But it is a pain in the ass when I need to process 2.7k and 4k videos. So I switched to Radeon RX580 8Gb and now my mac is working very well.

I'm no expert, but i would say cpu & ram are what's needed to edit large video files , especially when editing anything above 1080p , but then again i edit on a pc not mac.

My old-ish pc can handle 4k edits, however when rendering it can take a long time as rendering is  done mostly on cpu not gpu.

BTW i have a 2600k overclocked to 4.3ghz with 24GB ram & an NVidia 970gtx, i do game a bit on this pc, built myself ages ago.

as i say editing 4k with this setup is ok, but rendering after the edit can take a while depending on how long the edit is, for that reason i mostly render out in 2.7k, the render time is substantially lower & because it's all for personal use , I'm happy at that.
2017-12-21
Use props
fans7136e898
lvl.3
United States

I would like to make a few comments about what is needed for 4K and 2.7K  editing
My current set up is modest.
My processor is an  i5-6400  CPU @2.70 GHz  ---- Not exactly a speed demon
My video card is a NVIDIA  GeForce GT 730   with 2 GB of video memory   -- This is a lower end video card
My  computer has 8 GB RAM
I use Cyberlink Power Producer 14 for my editing

I can easily & successfully edit 4K 30 FPS video from my Mavic Pro.

Each minute of video, when rendered by the editor, takes about 5 times the length of the clip, therefore a  one minute clip of raw footage, can be color corrected, and  saved to file in about 5 minutes.

Attached is an example
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fans7136e898 Posted at 2017-12-21 10:36
I would like to make a few comments about what is needed for 4K and 2.7K  editing

Thank your for sharing this!
you are so awesome!
and we highly appreciate your answer here!
2017-12-21
Use props
famorim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1595574 ft
Brazil

Sim-Y Posted at 2017-12-21 10:07
I'm no expert, but i would say cpu & ram are what's needed to edit large video files , especially when editing anything above 1080p , but then again i edit on a pc not mac.

My old-ish pc can handle 4k edits, however when rendering it can take a long time as rendering is  done mostly on cpu not gpu.

I did some tests using a Core i5 16gb RAM with GPU Radeon RX580 and a Core i7 32Gb RAM with Nvidia 750Gtx using Adobe Premiere, Layer color correction, Denoiser III, Unsharp Mask and a fade transition.

The Core i5 was far faster than i7. I know it depends on what software and features you use in your videos, but if we talk about softwares like Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere and Davince Resolve, the GPU is the most important peace to consider in this equation.
2017-12-22
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Thanks for all replies! I will do some flying later today and see if I can edit at least 2.7k videos. If not, I will have to start looking for a better computer..

WIsh you all a merry Christmas!

/Krihamm
2017-12-22
Use props
Sim-Y
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75502 ft
Germany

famorim Posted at 2017-12-22 00:07
I did some tests using a Core i5 16gb RAM with GPU Radeon RX580 and a Core i7 32Gb RAM with Nvidia 750Gtx using Adobe Premiere, Layer color correction, Denoiser III, Unsharp Mask and a fade transition.

The Core i5 was far faster than i7. I know it depends on what software and features you use in your videos, but if we talk about softwares like Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere and Davince Resolve, the GPU is the most important peace to consider in this equation.

i use mostly adobe premiere elements, pro is just overkill for my needs, however here is a quote direct from adobe FAQ

Hardware Considerations
The first thing in improving encoding speed is to consider your hardware.

CPUs: Encoding and rendering previews are a CPU intensive process, so the main control you have over export times is to have the fastest CPUs possible installed in your computer. More CPUs are better, as well. Consider that another computer in your facility, school, or home office might have faster CPUs.

GPU: a GPU of any type does not assist the actual encoding process, however, it can improve the processing speed in certain cases. It depends on a number of important factors. This blog post explains what a GPU can and cannot assist (speed up) in the overall exporting process (scaling, GPU accelerated effects, etc.). In some cases in an exporting job, the GPU is used minimally, as there might not be many processes available for the GPU to handle. Real-time GPU accelerated effects may not have been added to the sequence, for example.

That said, a system with a well-performing GPU (or even dual GPUs or more) can be a boon to improving encoding times, as indicated in this article. Some editors create sequences with a great deal of GPU-accelerated effects, for example, others commonly scale 4K footage to HD frame sizes. The GPU offloads processing for items it can handle, like these effects and scaling, giving the CPUs the opportunity to focus on the encoding (rather than effects processing) which can speed up the entire process greatly.
2017-12-22
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

fans7136e898 Posted at 2017-12-21 10:36

nice color grade
2017-12-22
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Editing is also depending which software you are using. Some programs used optimized media(davinci resolve 14 ) , you can easly scroll true the clips and cut and paste, adjust colors etc, when you started to render it used the normal video clips.
Have a break and let your computer do the job. I used a I-5 with 16 gigs and a 2 gb videocard. It was slow but can be done. Now I did made  a upgrade to a msi gtx 1060 6 gig videocard and a LG Ulta HD(4k) monitor for displaying 4k footage. It's so easy now and fast.
2017-12-22
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hope this issue will be solved by this article. Happy New Year!
2018-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules