Moire in video
1807 11 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cob666
lvl.2

Canada

This doesn't happen all the time but enough that I was wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a Phantom 2 V+ V3, recording in 1080 and occasionally I see what looks like scan lines running down the video but upon closer inspection I really only see it when there's something like a stand of trees in the frame and then the moire displays as faint lines moving up and down only where the trees are.  So, are these scan lines or moire camer artifacting?

Has anybody else experiences something similar and how do you deal with it in video post processing?
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Are they horizontal when you are looking towards the sun?
2015-4-21
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-21 23:17
Are they horizontal when you are looking towards the sun?

I was thinking the same thing...prop shadow?
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-22 00:29
I was thinking the same thing...prop shadow?

Either prop shadow or the jello effect.  We don't have any video to determine one or the other.
2015-4-21
Use props
rod.And.The.Che
Second Officer

New Zealand

moire is a characteristic of the shooting format and we are stuck with it.  I use a filter called lanczos in my edit suite (edius) to flatten this out - coupled with a de fisheye program called DEFISHR and the crawling horror of moire can be minimised,  However , Edius is a professional program and not cheap for hobbyists , so I would research LANCZOS to see if there are any budget programs that can help.

Rod and the cheshire cat.  {:2_34:}  PS: change your format to 720/60p.  You will reduce the problem and get far more stable images in movement.  And trust me, you will not notice a difference in the apparent lower resolution. 1080/60 is actually 60 interlaced frames which means the full frame rate is only 30 fps.  This is far too slow for mobile video. 720p/60 is full progressive frames at 60 fps- much smoother and less artifacts.
2015-4-21
Use props
cob666
lvl.2

Canada

Test Video

Here's a short video I put together to show what I was describing.  You should download the video instead of streaming it because the streaming compression removes a lot of detail.

2015-4-21
Use props
cob666
lvl.2

Canada

rod.And.The.Che Posted at 2015-4-22 08:03
moire is a characteristic of the shooting format and we are stuck with it.  I use a filter called la ...

I didn't realize that 1080 was interlaced.  I'll shoot a few videos at 720 and see how it goes.

Thanks
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

cob666@gmail.co Posted at 2015-4-22 10:55
Test Video

Here's a short video I put together to show what I was describing.  You should download  ...

The blurriness is the sd card you got with the Phantom,  it is a class 4 sd card, you need a good class 10 card, it reads/writes much faster
2015-4-21
Use props
cob666
lvl.2

Canada

I'm not using the stock SD card.  I'm using a Lexar 32GB.  It says 633X and has a 10 inside a circle at the top.  I'm guessing that's the class identifier.  I bought this card because it's supposed to be a fast card and had good reviews online.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

cob666@gmail.co Posted at 2015-4-22 11:09
I'm not using the stock SD card.  I'm using a Lexar 32GB.  It says 633X and has a 10 inside a circle ...

That;s a good card, so it's probably the camera settings.
2015-4-21
Use props
rod.And.The.Che
Second Officer

New Zealand

Hi again,
just had a quick look at your vid.  some setting recommendations if you haven't already done them:
1. Set frame size/rate to 720/60p.

2. Set ASA to a low setting - say 100 or 200. Do not use auto. This will force the shutter to compensate for exposure rather than ASA shifting. (this is a fixed aperture camera so it is always at f2.8)

3. If your target is a reasonably constant shade (ie square on to trees as shown) set your exposure metering to wide average rather than spot. This will stop the camera shutter speed from rocketing up and down at every shadow.

4. Go and reshoot the same scene and report back please.!

Rod and the cheshire cat.  {:2_31:}
2015-4-22
Use props
cob666
lvl.2

Canada

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Weather hasn't been nice the last few days so the next decent day we have I'll reshoot with those changes.
2015-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules