Protecting Propellers When Not In Use
1932 4 2015-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

The DJI Phantom 3 Professional will be my first quadcopter with props larger than 6 inches. To keep the props safe when not in use (and for my spares) I use a neoprene memory card case that keeps them together and safe from being banged around, bent, or chipped when sitting around or when being transported. The Phantom props are significantly larger and other than something like a pencil case where the props would be in direct contact with each other, I am having a hard time coming up with a good solution.

Ideal would be something like the Pelican Memory Card Case (0915) except long enough for the props to fit in; maybe even rubber or foam cutouts so they are completely secure. In my exhaustive searches I have been unable to turn up anything like that that is already available on the market. Has anyone seen anything like that out there? Cases like that exist for darts and many other purposes, so it is only likely that it must exist out there for quadcopter pilots.

How do you keep your props safe from harm and how do you carry your spares?

2015-4-27
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

The only issues I had with my P2 vision blades was when one was sitting in a slightly bent position for a long period of time, and caused the blade to be slightly out of balance.  After a while it resumed back to it's original state though.  Otherwise I've never had any problems with them being stored and transported in the original box!
2015-4-27
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Now that they come in a bag instead of a box, there is just that much more chance of them getting damaged or bent during travel or storage (or by pets). I am the type of person that has cases within cases for added protection. For example, I have a Pelican 1510 for my DSLR gear, but within that case I still have all my lenses in separate Lowepro cases to keep them extra padded until use, my batteries in a Pelican 1015 (which perfectly holds 3x Canon batteries), and my memory cards all tucked away in a Pelican 0915. This might be overkill and take up extra space, but it keeps everything in prestine condition. Also if I want to just take a single lens with me on the go, it has a case on it so I can just throw it in a backpack without trying to find more protection.

As for the DJI, the Phantom 3 battery fits very nicely in a Pelican 1020 micro case, but the props are too long to fit in anything I have found. Maybe a cigar box, but I would still prefer a case that holds them in place with rubber or foam. mycasebuilder.com has some smaller cases that they would fit in, but not anything that allows for the top to be cut into as well. The worst is getting out to the field and then realizing that you havea  chipped or bent prop...so the hunt continues...
IMG_20150416_214127.jpg
2015-5-3
Use props
estacionsj
lvl.1

United States

might u know the difference between these composite hubs
http://store.dji.com/product/9450-plastic-hub-props-blue
and the one's for the p3. Are the p3 ones made with a different material or something.
need some spares going on vacation and on my last pair
2015-5-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

The cases from Go Professional Cases will close & protect well with the props on.  And they have a slot for the extra props.

http://goprofessionalcases.com/s ... gpc-dji-plus-3.html
2015-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules