Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moxie Aerials
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1006342 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Greetings P4 Users et al,

I've been flying the P4 pretty consistently now since the dreaded firmware issues, it's still a bit finicky but manageable.

Also being very consistent is the "high wind" warning and notifications.

I've got a few years under my belt now flying DJI rigs and I've flown in some pretty severe weather conditions from blizzards, to 40km/h winds, to dense fog - and the bird has always returned home to me.

But it seems like these days that any wind over 3km/h will trigger the high-wind warning and it has made it very difficult to judge proper operating procedures.

Normally if I have to fight an actaul high-wind situation like 35km/h or more there are certain techniques to employ like throttle only, or rapid decent, anything to counteract the wind and still maintain control, but when the threat isn't actually there but the warning tells the user to respond like it is, it causes problems.

I find myself guessing now when the high-wind warning pops up if it's actually high-wind or not and I'm worried that this boy-who-cried-wolf routine will create a scenario where I ignore the warning and watch my rig fly away.

Is anyone else finding that's it's just ALWAYS too windy to fly, even though the wind socks may not even be moving?!
2018-2-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which versions of Aircraft firmware & DJI Go 4 are you using ?

2018-2-2
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Totally agree with you Moxie.
We can agree, that depending on the height there may be wind gradients as compared to the surface, though it's hard to believe that in a 120m height difference in an open space, one has low or almost no wind on ground and a blizzard at 400ft...
It happens the same to me, I'm flying a P4P+, updated to its last FW, no beta.
I think it would be useful to know how the AC determines it's flying a high wind area ... I assume there is an algorithm determining wind speed from the GPS position readings, there is no Pitot tube as on aircrafts...
Perhaps some fellows can help with more tech explanations here, I found missing to know which is the minimum wind speed which triggers the "High wind...Fly with caution" alarm.
It has to be less than 10m/s but, ...how much less ???
2018-2-2
Use props
Moxie Aerials
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1006342 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-2 08:12
Which versions of Aircraft firmware & DJI Go 4 are you using ?

Hey Aardvark,

I'm on V02.00.0700 and I just updated the app like 2 days ago (not sure which version we're on now).

I didn't see wind sensitivity in any of the update notes though, not sure if it's a topic that I've seen in the forums before.
2018-2-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Moxie Aerials Posted at 2018-2-2 08:43
Hey Aardvark,

I'm on V02.00.0700 and I just updated the app like 2 days ago (not sure which version we're on now).

That would be 4.2.5 for iOS.

I seemed to remember the excessive warnings were related to the App' version.
2018-2-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

But it seems like these days that any wind over 3km/h will trigger the high-wind warning and it has made it very difficult to judge proper operating procedures.
According to DJI sources, the warning shows when the flight controller calculates that the wind is 7 metres/sec.
It's more a warning of a mederate wind than a strong wind.
2018-2-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

If you're working on your car and you drop your wrench, you will find that your wrench always hits the pavement and then bounces underneath to the direct center of the car in the most hard to reach spot.  

That's why it's always so windy.  
2018-2-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-2-2 15:32
If you're working on your car and you drop your wrench, you will find that your wrench always hits the pavement and then bounces underneath to the direct center of the car in the most hard to reach spot.  

That's why it's always so windy.

"then bounces underneath to the direct center of the car in the most hard to reach spot."

That's called sods law.....
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As Labroides mentioned, the warning will appear if the wind speed is more than 7m/s. The higher the altitude, the stronger the wind.
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules