Had Mavic Pro for 72hours and...
1602 16 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lovec1990
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36158 ft
Slovenia

seriously in just 72hours of having a drone i got dangerous encounter with birds. in first round it looked like 4 birds are attacking they were flying directly at it but changed to circling around it i droped altitude fast so drone comes close to me luckily it was in LOS  and birds left when drones come close too me.5 minutes latter round 2 most likely same 4 birds again but this time they did not approach it directly but they just started circling around and i was just waiting to go UFO, but they were just circling 1 meter away from it and then they distanced themself and made a few passes at greater distance and then they left.

perhaps they were just examining imposter in their airspace, but i was scared.

2018-2-11
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

Had similar experiences with buzzards.
I noticed that they are keeping more distance  to a Phantom3 than to a Mavic.

My recommendation in a scary situation:
Sport mode and full pitch; straight up at max speed; for at least 30m and than with top speed back to home with progressive lowering altitude.
(Buzzards and a Hawks are fast, faster that the Mavic, but they can't climb with 5m/s.
2018-2-11
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Slovenia

frankengels Posted at 2018-2-11 02:14
Had similar experiences with buzzards.
I noticed that they are keeping more distance  to a Phantom3 than to a Mavic.

^^ but they can climb more than 500m
2018-2-11
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

lovec1990 Posted at 2018-2-11 02:15
^^ but they can climb more than 500m

That's right, but they need more time to climb and hopefully they will loose interest.
Additionally I would recommend to not fly if bigger birds are around.
2018-2-11
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is oyster catchers that go for mine, especially in the spring and they don’t give up! Climbing is the best way to get away from them. There are white tailed sea eagles at my main flying field and they totally ignore them.
2018-2-11
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
Puerto Rico

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-2-11 02:57
It is oyster catchers that go for mine, especially in the spring and they don’t give up! Climbing is the best way to get away from them. There are white tailed sea eagles at my main flying field and they totally ignore them.

Sea Eagles: "We don' need no STEEEEENKIN' drones!"
2018-2-11
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

I had a hawk take a curiosity in mine and made a pass at a safe distance before flying off. I also unknowing flew over Canadian geese with no reaction from them at all.

Living in Maine I see large birds a lot and haven't had any issues yet.
2018-2-12
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

Whatever I noticed a good size bird come in at the MP. It goes in sport mode and up i goo. They seem to lose interest pretty fast.
2018-2-13
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Slovenia

I have a question:

If bird attackes and crashes your drone and you send it for repairs is warranty valid or will you have too pay for damage done too drone?
2018-2-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14416132 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bird attacks are unfortunately one of those things that can and do cause the drone to crash and is out of your control to a certain extent. Other than making the decision to fly in areas where there are few birds or more specifically, large, aggressive birds like gulls. You'll find most birds are more inquisitive than threatening unless your drone is near a nest during the mating season and seen as a threat. Just fly with caution and I find putting the drone into Sport mode and actually increasing altitude to 400' soon loses them. Generally, the larger, louder and darker the drone the less the risk of attack though I have seen videos of Inspire's being attacked and crashed after a falcon strike so nothing is guaranteed.
2018-2-15
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Slovenia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-15 02:48
Bird attacks are unfortunately one of those things that and do cause the drone to crash and is out of your control to a certain extent. Other than making the decision to fly in areas where there are few birds or more specifically, large, aggressive birds like gulls. You'll find most birds are more inquisitive than threatening unless your drone is near a nest during the mating season and seen as a threat. Just fly with caution and I find putting the drone into Sport mode and actually increasing altitude to 400' soon loses them. Generally, the larger, louder and darker the drone the less the risk of attack though I have seen videos of Inspire's being attacked and crashed after a falcon strike so nothing is guaranteed.

So i will have too pay for repairs or dispose the drone and buy new one?
2018-2-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lovec1990 Posted at 2018-2-15 02:55
So i will have too pay for repairs or dispose the drone and buy new one?

That will depend entirely on DJI. Contact support and raise a case to get it shipped back. If you have valid care refresh then this will definitely be covered (providing you still have the drone to return) but the standard warranty only covers manufacturer defects and not pilot error or causes of damage that are not the fault of the drone. They may do something for you in light of the situation like offer a big discount on a new one or repair it for free but do not expect them to do so as they are not legally obligated to under the terms of the warranty.
2018-2-15
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-15 03:02
That will depend entirely on DJI. Contact support and raise a case to get it shipped back. If you have valid care refresh then this will definitely be covered (providing you still have the drone to return) but the standard warranty only covers manufacturer defects and not pilot error or causes of damage that are not the fault of the drone. They may do something for you in light of the situation like offer a big discount on a new one or repair it for free but do not expect them to do so as they are not legally obligated to under the terms of the warranty.

DJI as I have heard from hundreds of bad experiences will do bugger all. they will laugh it off.

I am dreading for the time I need to get in contact with dji to use care refresh or warranty. I'm praying to get past a year with no problems
2018-2-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steeevo Posted at 2018-2-15 03:13
DJI as I have heard from hundreds of bad experiences will do bugger all. they will laugh it off.

I am dreading for the time I need to get in contact with dji to use care refresh or warranty. I'm praying to get past a year with no problems

I have seen many examples of where they have offered discounts on this forum alone - they most certainly do not laugh at their customer issues.
If it is that much of a concern to you then you can buy care refresh or arrange private insurance. There is a risk that any tech which flies may crash - even that passenger filled commercial airline on your next holiday. No drone is 100% either. As long as you do everything in your control to prevent a crash then there is nothing more any drone pilot can do. I have never crashed any of the 7 DJI drones I have owned over the past 2-3 years.
2018-2-15
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Slovenia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-15 03:02
That will depend entirely on DJI. Contact support and raise a case to get it shipped back. If you have valid care refresh then this will definitely be covered (providing you still have the drone to return) but the standard warranty only covers manufacturer defects and not pilot error or causes of damage that are not the fault of the drone. They may do something for you in light of the situation like offer a big discount on a new one or repair it for free but do not expect them to do so as they are not legally obligated to under the terms of the warranty.

offering a discount for new drone is really nice thing becouse i would buy new DJI drone if crashed one is unrepairable or repair bill is too high
2018-2-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lovec1990 Posted at 2018-2-15 03:26
offering a discount for new drone is really nice thing becouse i would buy new DJI drone if crashed one is unrepairable or repair bill is too high

They have been known to do that - even 50%. Again, it will depend on the individual case from what I've seen on here.
2018-2-15
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I have seen them offer discounts but not from a bird strike!
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules