Gimbal Issue
2335 26 2018-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

When I fly my mavic in sport mode and stop my drone, the video jellos. When I fly my mavic in P mode and stop my drone, the gimbal spontaneously moves all the way up and back to it's original position super fast. The twist is, sometimes the jelloing in sport mode occasionally stops (seemingly).

I found a video where a guy had the same issue @ 2:45:

This happens to me when breaking in P mode. In sport mode it will just jello. Doing a gimbal calibration will help stop the violent skake, but the footage still has a mild jello effect.

The gimbal also drifts downwards.

I would say this is a hardware issue, due to the fact that a person who shall remain unnamed purposely knocked my drone case off my bed, but the gimbal seems to react worse when the drone stops after a slower accelleration than a faster one. What do you guys think? Is it a hardware or a software issue, and how do I repair it?

2018-2-17
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

Are you saying somebody knocked your MP on the floor deliberately
2018-2-17
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-17 07:30
Are you saying somebody knocked your MP on the floor deliberately

Basically     
2018-2-17
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-17 07:30
Are you saying somebody knocked your MP on the floor deliberately

It was a 12 year old
2018-2-17
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

No answer? Did I ask in the wrong section?
2018-2-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, may I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft, controller and APP? Please try to calibrate IMU and then gimbal camera to see whether it helps. If still no luck, please kindly send it in: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-19
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-19 19:33
Hi there, may I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft, controller and APP? Please try to calibrate IMU and then gimbal camera to see whether it helps. If still no luck, please kindly send it in: https://www.dji.com/support

No thanks, actually I found out what's causing it. Whenever the back of the gimbal hits the body of the aircraft, even from a fast break, it goes up (even though it's odd it only happened in position mode). Kind of like when you flip the drone over, and the gimbal re-centers. I looked at the app, and for some reason, my breaks were on 130%, so since I adjusted that, I've had no issues.

(I was under the impression that that was how the gimbal was supposed to react when bumping the drone, because that's how it behaved since I got the drone, but please correct me if I'm wrong)
2018-2-20
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

I have never experienced that issue.  My break is set at 130% as well. I have thought about adjustment though.
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-2-20 16:39
I have never experienced that issue.  My break is set at 130% as well. I have thought about adjustment though.

When moving my mavic forward with my hand, and then imitating how it would break suddenly, the gimbal hit the aircraft, causing it to go up. So the only problem I can think of is that one of the four bands that secure the gimbal got a bit loose.
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

firmware: 01.04.0300

controller: 01.04.0300

app: 4.2.6
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

This is what causes it:

https://youtu.be/S9Fx2bUEuI0
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r Posted at 2018-2-20 18:14
This is what causes it:

https://youtu.be/S9Fx2bUEuI0

2018-2-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Don't break the brakes.  Look it up.  
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-2-20 18:45
Don't break the brakes.  Look it up.

I'm confused as to what you're implying. Are the brakes not functioning properly?
2018-2-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

No.  I'm saying "brake" is the word you want, not break.  ;)
2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-2-21 07:14
No.  I'm saying "brake" is the word you want, not break.  ;)

Oh. Does that look like a damaged gimbal though?
2018-2-21
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

You can always reduce the braking in the EXP/GAIN setting to see if that helps. The MP & MPP gimbal is a very fragile thing!
2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-21 12:58
You can always reduce the braking in the EXP/GAIN setting to see if that helps. The MP & MPP gimbal is a very fragile thing!

I mean, if it's normal that's fine. It's whether I have a defective gimbal or not.
2018-2-21
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r Posted at 2018-2-21 14:21
I mean, if it's normal that's fine. It's whether I have a defective gimbal or not.

They are infamous for jello, very fragile gimbal, just sent mine in for the same issue,  I have had it with the motors not even running! If you have it now it will probably get worse over time if calibration(s) didn't cure it. The filters helped with mine. I figured I would send it in now that I have an MA and wouldn't miss the MP so much.

2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-21 14:53
They are infamous for jello, very fragile gimbal, just sent mine in for the same issue,  I have had it with the motors not even running! If you have it now it will probably get worse over time if calibration(s) didn't cure it. The filters helped with mine. I figured I would send it in now that I have an MA and wouldn't miss the MP so much.

Yeah...my camera "jelloing" only lasts for like a split second when breaking, and it only affects a fraction of the screen, so maybe "jello" wasn't the right terminology.

But the mavic gimbal isn't supposed to jerk the camera upwards every time the back of the camera nudges the front of the drone, is it? That's what happens half of every time my drone brakes, and it's getting very irritating...
2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-21 14:53

This is not my video...but he had the same issue:

2018-2-21
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r Posted at 2018-2-21 15:45
Yeah...my camera "jelloing" only lasts for like a split second when breaking, and it only affects a fraction of the screen, so maybe "jello" wasn't the right terminology.

But the mavic gimbal isn't supposed to jerk the camera upwards every time the back of the camera nudges the front of the drone, is it? That's what happens half of every time my drone brakes, and it's getting very irritating...

You can adjust the braking sensitivity in settings, it may help

2018-2-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like there are 3 separate image issues here - 2 are due to rapid physical changes in the drone's momentum (those juddering gimbal shots) the 3rd one looks like a image sensor 'overload'. Basically very high areas of brightness (intense sunlight on the snow patches) juxtaposed with large darker areas (the dry grass). But dropping the ISO and or adding the filters you reduced the energy of the incoming light and brought the contrast gradient within the functioning parameters of the imaging system.
2018-2-22
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-2-22 11:47
Looks like there are 3 separate image issues here - 2 are due to rapid physical changes in the drone's momentum (those juddering gimbal shots) the 3rd one looks like a image sensor 'overload'. Basically very high areas of brightness (intense sunlight on the snow patches) juxtaposed with large darker areas (the dry grass). But dropping the ISO and or adding the filters you reduced the energy of the incoming light and brought the contrast gradient within the functioning parameters of the imaging system.

Okay, so  my gimbal doesn't need to be repaired or anything. (But then fansf77370fb had a Mavic pro, and had no problem with braking at 130%...) I guess that's typical of the mavic pro? Now I wonder if drones in the phantom series have the same gimbal flaws, and whether I should've just stuck with my original plan of buying a cheaper phantom 3.
2018-2-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r Posted at 2018-2-22 13:58
Okay, so  my gimbal doesn't need to be repaired or anything. (But then fansf77370fb had a Mavic pro, and had no problem with braking at 130%...) I guess that's typical of the mavic pro? Now I wonder if drones in the phantom series have the same gimbal flaws, and whether I should've just stuck with my original plan of buying a cheaper phantom 3.

I had the same 'flip-up' gimbal effect last flight I did (MPP) and it happened when I had a lot of signal interference from something on the ground (300ft below). This coincided with the drone flying into a lot of air turbulence as it had just crested the top of a hill. As I turned the drone back towards Home point - a yaw of about 180deg the gimbal/camera flipped up 5 times on the turn. I can only assume it had something to do with Gimbal Follow Mode being switched on as it tried to keep the image stable - but hit the end of travel and did an auto re-center each time. Maybe worth switching off Follow Mode and see if that stops the snap-back issues.
2018-2-22
Use props
djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r
lvl.3
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-2-22 14:50
I had the same 'flip-up' gimbal effect last flight I did (MPP) and it happened when I had a lot of signal interference from something on the ground (300ft below). This coincided with the drone flying into a lot of air turbulence as it had just crested the top of a hill. As I turned the drone back towards Home point - a yaw of about 180deg the gimbal/camera flipped up 5 times on the turn. I can only assume it had something to do with Gimbal Follow Mode being switched on as it tried to keep the image stable - but hit the end of travel and did an auto re-center each time. Maybe worth switching off Follow Mode and see if that stops the snap-back issues.

Okay. But do you know the reason why the gimbal is more likely to flip up in regular GPS mode than sport mode?
2018-2-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_OnW1HTsoYl3r Posted at 2018-2-22 15:21
Okay. But do you know the reason why the gimbal is more likely to flip up in regular GPS mode than sport mode?

I think its to do with the Gimbal Follow mode being on - the gimbal will try to compensate for all movement and when the drone is being buffeted by turbulence (for example) the gimbal can hit the end of it's travel - so rapidly tries to re-center the camera and then continue the shot. In Sport mode the assumption is that you are not trying to capture steady filmed shots so that particular gimbal feature is bypassed I think(!).
2018-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules