DJI Select Bull...
1638 9 2018-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Church
lvl.1

United States

Curious if anyone else has either bought or has attempted to by DJI Select, the $29 annual special access program.  I tried several times and the website kept saying "you are ineligible".  So I e-mailed support.  Crickets.  Then I called support, and despite a thick language barrier, I was told the program is only available to consumers and professionals who buy directly from the DJI website - not buying the program, but the whole kit.  Which is a bunch of bull.  Creating specialized affinity programs for the folks that buy from DJI direct versus through and Authorized Reseller is just plain stupid.  I bought from a reseller specifically to get access to direct DJI knowledge and support.

If I could find a place to complain to, I would (I finally got an e-mail response from Support and replied to let them know my thoughts.  If you're going to create a paid affinity program, manage exclusivity by serial number, not whether I buy from you directly.

p.s. does anyone know if there is a restocking fee for items bought from the DJI site and returned unopened?  I know one way to join the club...
2018-2-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Chris, we appreciate your support, but as you can see it in the FAQ, you will be eligible to purchase DJI Select if you purchase a supported product at the DJI Online Store. If you haven't purchased a  supported product, you might not be able to purchase the Select. Thank you for your kind understanding. FAQ.png
2018-2-23
Use props
Chris Church
lvl.1

United States

This makes no sense.  I can buy a Spark and DJI Care from the DJI Store, return them unopened to DJI with no restocking fee, and then buy Select.  Please tell your product managers that not allowing any proven DJI owner (serial numbers) is a marketing mistake.

Off to order my gear to return.
2018-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 10186312 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-23 00:25
Hi Chris, we appreciate your support, but as you can see it in the FAQ, you will be eligible to purchase DJI Select if you purchase a supported product at the DJI Online Store. If you haven't purchased a  supported product, you might not be able to purchase the Select. Thank you for your kind understanding.[view_image]

Hi Thor I have tried to purchase select over the last 3 weeks just keep getting the same message Server is busy, I have tried umpteen times but same message, I am eligible , so would holidays have something to do with it or maybe something is broke.
2018-2-23
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chris,
One thing I might suggest is to take a look at this not from just the consumer perspective, but from the business' perspective.  Regardless of our perception, almost all businesses are in business to maximize profits.  Some companies do a better job at hiding this fact than others, but the simple truth is usually still there no matter what business to which we are referring.  

When a Consumer buys a product directly from the Manufacturer's website, the Manufacturer gets 100% of that Consumer's money.  However, if the Consumer buys the product from a Reseller, then the Reseller is keeping a percentage of the Consumer's money, so the Manufacturer is getting something less than the full price for their product and thus less profit.

I'm guessing that the DJI Select program is a way to try to entice Consumers to skip the Resellers and purchase directly from them, the Manufacturer.  If they were to offer the DJI Select program for Consumers that buy from Resellers, now they are losing out on the percentage the Reseller is keeping plus the amount they are giving away in discounts and perks that would come with the DJI Select program.  This strategy would be less than ideal for a company trying to maximize profits.

2018-2-23
Use props
Chris Church
lvl.1

United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-23 15:19
Chris,
One thing I might suggest is to take a look at this not from just the consumer perspective, but from the business' perspective.  Regardless of our perception, almost all businesses are in business to maximize profits.  Some companies do a better job at hiding this fact than others, but the simple truth is usually still there no matter what business to which we are referring.  

Understood, Kloo.  But its pretty unusual for a company to set up a dealer network and then provide incentives that are not available through dealers.  I understand the higher margin on a Web purchase with DJI.  If that's what they're really trying to do, pull customers from Authorized Dealers, that's a pretty low blow.

I'm over it.  I found a workaround.  If anyone is curious, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
2018-2-23
Use props
Chris Church
lvl.1

United States

Chris Church Posted at 2018-2-23 15:33
Understood, Kloo.  But its pretty unusual for a company to set up a dealer network and then provide incentives that are not available through dealers.  I understand the higher margin on a Web purchase with DJI.  If that's what they're really trying to do, pull customers from Authorized Dealers, that's a pretty low blow.

Oh, and I think they'd make up the margin difference in DJI Select sales.  But maybe they don't want the "club" to be watered down by most DJI owners.  Who knows?  I think its just a short-sighted product marketing manager somewhere in the DJI chain of command.
2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-23 11:23
Hi Thor I have tried to purchase select over the last 3 weeks just keep getting the same message Server is busy, I have tried umpteen times but same message, I am eligible , so would holidays have something to do with it or maybe something is broke.

May I know which way you attempt to purchase the select? Via mobile device or the browser? It would be nice if you can post a screenshot, I would like to forward to the proper department to check. Thank you.
2018-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-24 03:51
May I know which way you attempt to purchase the select? Via mobile device or the browser? It would be nice if you can post a screenshot, I would like to forward to the proper department to check. Thank you.

Trying through my iPad screenshot same every time .

2018-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Sweden

Chris Church Posted at 2018-2-23 15:33
Understood, Kloo.  But its pretty unusual for a company to set up a dealer network and then provide incentives that are not available through dealers.  I understand the higher margin on a Web purchase with DJI.  If that's what they're really trying to do, pull customers from Authorized Dealers, that's a pretty low blow.

Maybe you should see if your dealer can offer you a similar deal, I’m sure it’s also in his interest to keep you as a loyal customer . Economics can sometimes be tough so sometimes you have to roll with the punches.
2018-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules