Bad Sunset Pics on Mavic Pro
1128 17 2018-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavicMan101
lvl.4
United States

I got my Mavic Pro about a month ago, and I'm still relatively new to photography. Does anyone know why my sunset photos are so bad? The quality looks horrible. The pictures look muddy. I had the contrast at +1 and everything else at 0. Would turning the contrast down fix this? Or is this something that would be fixed in post? TIA
Picture: https://imgur.com/a/my8qK
2018-2-23
Use props
fans4788bc0a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think it looks bad. Suggest you shoot in raw and use a raw editor (like Lightroom) to raise the shadow detail.
2018-2-23
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Is not bad...is nice!
2018-2-23
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I agree with the others - the photo looks good.  What exactly are you unhappy with in the image?
2018-2-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

That’s not a bad shot.
2018-2-23
Use props
MavicMan101
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's just me   To me, it just doesn't seem like something that a good photographer would take, and I'm not sure what I need to change in order to make it look professional. Just for reference, do you guys have any sunset pics (taken with your mavic)  you want to share?
2018-2-23
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

A quick LR edit.
2018-2-23
Use props
MavicMan101
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for taking the time to do that! It definitely looks better, but the detail still doesn’t seem to be there. I guess I’ll just mess around with the settings until I get what I’m looking for
2018-2-23
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Mate it only took a couple of minutes and really, I'm using your posted image, so no where near the quality available to work with. I was basically just giving you an insight to what can be done. And I'm no pro I can assure you of that!!!
2018-2-23
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Get an image editor and have a play. The details seem to be there to pull out. When you get comfortable with basic edits then have a play with RAW/DNG and you’ll see there’s even more you can pull out. When your comfortable with that, you can look at exposure bracketing/stacking. That stacks multiple exposure (say one dark, one normal and one bright) to get the full range of light. The Mavic sensor is quite small and doesn’t have DSLR dynamic range so exposure stacking can give you the same range over multiple shorts.

Don’t be out of by amazing pics and assuming they’re straight out the camera, I can tell you they’ll have had time on them in an editor.
2018-2-23
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

Where there is a wide dynamic range of light such as sunset, you might like to try two exposures or even three from the same location. Using the wheel on the controller you can adjust each image. Get the sky right in one and the landscape right on a second image. Software is available to merge the images on top of each other, or simply cut a line  at the horizon and join the images.
Also remember, you have a wide angle 12 megapixel image so the detail will be acceptable for 99% of the population, but maybe not magazine quality. That requires a much more sophisticated camera.
But unlike those with heavy cameras, you have the elevated shot, they don't.
2018-2-23
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 544222 ft
Romania

you can do somthing like that ...for better quality I recommend that you make at least 5 pictures with different focus points and merge-it toghether that do some image edit for color and sharpnes
2018-2-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That look alright to me. Use +1 sharpness in the profiles.
2018-2-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks ok to me.

Keep ISO as low as possible and possibly shoot low contrast / raw and edit later.
You will have to experiment to get the best output.
This is a tiny sensor with a cheap lens. Both won't help in this challenging situation.
2018-2-24
Use props
MavicMan101
lvl.4
United States

Is merging different exposures together the same as HDR? As you can tell I am very new to this
2018-2-24
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

HDR, shoot RAW, edit in lightroom.

Also shoot 16x9
2018-2-24
Use props
Leftyguy
Second Officer