A little maudlin.....
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spencerpearse
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,

All the videos I have seen so far, that include the operator in the footage, show two types of face. The fixed smile; "I can't believe this is real" face, and the "Urrrgh, I am concentrating" C*m face.  I love it, I love being a part of this "thing".  A bundle of electronics that can give so much pleasure AND pain, all at the same time.  Money Vs Fun.  Spending of money doesn't always mean fun, unless you have a different idea of money.

I like to think of myself as the "Fixed smile" category.  I can't believe it's real.  But on the other hand, what did I save up for? and then spend, my hard earned cash on?... a device that is still a bit "ify" after general release?  Perhaps this is to be expected nowadays.  Think of the XBOX, Playstation or PC games...How many patches do you get after launch, per unit, per game etc?  Is this the "norm" now?  These flying cameras are a kind of a mix of "play-thing" and "investment", unlike games and games devices.

"Concentration Face".

I have not had any issues yet with my P3A, but I have only flown it for 6mins at 10 metres high.  Should I gamble my £899 on another flight?  I have not yet attempted the firmware upgrade (I don't need the IOS upgrade as I use Android on Samsung Galaxy S4).  Should I attempt to install the newer update that "allows access to future updates"?.  The Unit and App apparently work as is, so far.  Should I just send it back?  I really don't know.  I feel uneasy that I will not get the support that, I feel I have paid for, by buying into this product.  Should I just "hold on" for now, How long should I wait to be confident in this product?

I guess I just keep watching the Forum for more info for now, without flying......after all I have a years warranty (2 in the UK for electronics).  I am still confident that I will be pleased with this Unit once I get more confidence in it.

"Fixed Smile"
2015-5-8
Use props
1337brian
lvl.2

United States

I look at it this way. Did you buy it to say you have it? Or did you buy it to shoot some awesome aerial videos and photos?

Get to an open field and let it rip!
2015-5-8
Use props
spencerpearse
lvl.2

United Kingdom

You got it!
2015-5-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

You gamble with every flight no matter what.
True.
This is in general a fancy toy with 4 motors that probably cost $15 each OEM. The props may be $2 each.
Your camera is riding on various pennies......

The question is not whether it will have an unscheduled landing - it's just when and why. Most of them are operator error - so if you have not had hours behind the stick with R/C and other quads you are more likely to have problems.

It's not an investment. A better way to look at might be "cost per hour".  If these didn't exist and someone offered to allowed you to fly a magic machine with these capability for 15 minutes  - and keep all pics and video you took - for $50 US, would you do it?

I would.

At that rate your Phantom will pay for itself in about 20 flights.

Here is the Marine layer coming up the Bay in Rhode Island this evening.
marinelayer.jpg
2015-5-8
Use props
spencerpearse
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Awesome.     
2015-5-8
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Very nice.
2015-5-8
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-9 08:38
You gamble with every flight no matter what.
True.
This is in general a fancy toy with 4 motors tha ...

I'll bet your logic would even work with my wife! LOL

Similar to the old philosophy:

"It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!"
2015-5-10
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

You shouldn't buy a P3 if you can't afford to crash it. There is a risk, every time you take it up. But it is a risk that can be managed by being careful and not taking too many chances.

The Phantom is top-of-its-class in quality and reliability. Knock-on-wood, I've flown hundreds of flights with the P2V+ and 15 with the P3P - and the P3 is even better and I'm even more confident flying the P3.

Keep in mind, for most people who have bad experiences, they've been impatient (like not letting it record a HomePoint), not waiting for enough satellites for GPS-assisted flight (probably most of this is eliminated with the P3s use of GLONASS as well as GPS) and basically trying to run before they could walk.

Baby-steps, and eventually you will master it. I've always suggested getting a cheap "toy"-quadcopter first, like the Hubsan X4, and learning to fly quadcopters on that. You will become much more confident with the sticks on the P3 if you've trained in a smaller and cheaper quadcopter. In fact the P3 will be easier to fly (but more menacing because of its size) because the P3 has more flying-aids, it it holding still, fighting the wind if in GPS-mode etc.

I also suggest you watch a bunch of YouTube videos of people demonstrating first flights etc (not from the camera's point of you, but from the ground). You also have the Similator, which is somewhat useful.

This might be early to suggest this; but I'd also consider learning to "hand catch". Look for YouTube videos. This makes "landing" more safe in my opinion be very careful with the blandes naturally, don't train it on a low battery so you feel rushed to get the Phantom landed). When you can hand-catch, you can 'land' everywhere, without worrying about rocks on the ground or tipping over.

Naturally I think you should keep it and have fun with it. But thats ultimately your choice.

I hope my advice was useful.
2015-5-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a sample video from that park by the bay where the still was taken.......
Yeah, I have the slanted horizon problem - but I have faith it will work out somehow:
2015-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules