Upgrading the micro SD card
19905 27 2015-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
knicholas194
lvl.2

United States

Hi guys, I'm thinking of upgrading the micro SD card on my P3 pro. Just wondering if anyone has already done so, and if you have, what capacity did you upgrade to?
Should I buy a 64GB or would 32GB be enough?
And if anyone knows how much 4K video can be recorded on each, that would be very helpful.
2015-5-8
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I bought a 64 gig  - UHS-I class 10 microSDXC card . With my Sony Z2 phone with 4 K it uses around 1 gig per minute of video ...
2015-5-8
Use props
knicholas194
lvl.2

United States

Wow okay, I guess I'd better get the 64 gig then. Especially since I plan on getting a few more batteries, to stay out in the field longer.
Thanks for the info!
2015-5-8
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

It depends on how you use the cards. With only one battery, right now you can only get under 20 minutes of footage which is about 25gb. Even with spare batteries, it is "safer" to get two 32gb cards and switch them when you switch the battery so that if there is a problem then you don't lose everything. That is coming from the perspective of a photographer that has had cards die on me (sometimes out of nowhere, sometimes my fault) and had I used smaller cards and switched them out I wouldn't have lost as much.  32gb cards are now in that sweet range of $20, so that is where I stand these days. Picked up a few  SanDisk 32GB Extreme UHS-I microSDHC (U3/Class 10) from BHPhotoVideo which is a nice amount of storage and plenty of speed for a great price.
2015-05-09 00.17.18.jpg
2015-5-8
Use props
knicholas194
lvl.2

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-9 12:25
It depends on how you use the cards. With only one battery, right now you can only get under 20 minu ...

Splitting up the footage is a good point... hmmm
2015-5-8
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Depends on how you travel and your habits, but I tend to switch the battery and the card at the same time. Then while that used battery is cooling down/charging, I start the transfer of the card to a laptop or external drive. While that is happening, I am back up in the air. Multitasking at it's finest.
2015-5-8
Use props
raynelang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450492 ft
United States

It depends on how you use the cards. With only one battery, right now you can only get under 20 minu ...

Looking at getting the same cards. I have to admit I am a little out of my knowledge base here, just trying to get the card that is good enough. Is the 60MB/s read and 40MB/s write fast enough for the 4K? For another $15 or so per card you can get to 80MB/s read and 50MB/s write. Do we have any need for this extra speed? I would rather save the $15 bucks and buy an extra card if there is no benefit to the faster speed.
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

raynelang@gmail Posted at 2015-5-10 03:00
Looking at getting the same cards. I have to admit I am a little out of my knowledge base here, ju ...

40MBps is fast enough to record 4k video. The advantage would be the speed of offloading the card to a computer is of course faster with the faster cards. The video capture of the P3 is rated at 60mbps which is 7.5MBps. I wouldn't go slower than the "Extreme" series but you also don't benefit as far as recording from the P3 goes from anything faster.
2015-5-9
Use props
raynelang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450492 ft
United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-10 04:41
40MBps is fast enough to record 4k video. The advantage would be the speed of offloading the card  ...

Awesome. Thanks.
2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

I like using smaller 32 gig cards.  I can split them up as Cacc suggests.  Fly while downloading the other.

Big question is...  When will additional P3 batteries be shipping?  ;-)
2015-5-9
Use props
acozyoruk
lvl.1

Philippines

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-10 04:41
40MBps is fast enough to record 4k video. The advantage would be the speed of offloading the card  ...

Hello, if dji suggestion 60mbps how come 40mbps is enough as you are suggesting?  Can explain please?
Thanks
2015-5-9
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P3 comes with a card that writes at 40MB/s. So, I'm assuming 40MB/s is sufficient.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

acozyoruk@gmail Posted at 2015-5-10 09:12
Hello, if dji suggestion 60mbps how come 40mbps is enough as you are suggesting?  Can explain plea ...

60mbps and 60MBps are two different things in the computer world.

mbps = megabits per second
MBps = megabytes per second

1MBps (megabyte per second) = 8mbps (megabits per second)
1mbps (megabit per second) = 0.125MBps (megabytes per second)

When you have a card with 64GB, you have 64 gigabytes (or 512 gigabits - a way you would never see it).
When your internet company gives you 20mbps internet, that is 20 megabits, so you won't see speeds of more than 2.5MBps (megabytes per second).
2015-5-9
Use props
acozyoruk
lvl.1

Philippines

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-10 09:47
60mbps and 60MBps are two different things in the computer world.

mbps = megabits per second

So ? Your answer is not related to my question.This is not about megabits mate , this is not internet.

When you see an indication on sd card says 60mbps it means 60 megabyte per second not 60 megabit/s.

I hope according to this information you can explain this time.

Thanks
2015-5-24
Use props
Insanity
lvl.1
United States

acozyoruk@gmail Posted at 2015-5-24 19:13
So ? Your answer is not related to my question.This is not about megabits mate , this is not inter ...

Hi acozyoruk,

As someone who worked in the industry (now retired), I can tell you that Cacc is correct. MB/s means megabytes per second, and Mb/s means megabits per second.

Disk drive interfaces moved from a parallel interface (bytes per transfer) to a serial interface (bits per transfer) several years ago, and correspondingly the generally accepted metric for I/O performance has moved to megabits per second (Mb/s). Capacities are still expressed in megabytes (or terabytes), however. Please note that the specifications provided by DJI indicate that "Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required" for the Phantom 3, and the go further to state that the Professional model camera maximum bit rate is 60 Mb/s whereas the Advanced maximum bit rate is 40 Mb/s. Both Class 10 and UHS-1 are rated at 10 MB/s (megabytes), which translates to 80 Mb/s. So Class 10 and UHS-1 are more than capable of handling the demands of either model of the Phantom 3.

You can read more about the class designations here: https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/.

The nomenclature can be confusing, so I hope that this helps!
2015-6-7
Use props
ygoron
lvl.1

United States

@Cacc - Which card holder would you recommend? Thanks!
2015-6-21
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

ygoron Posted at 2015-6-21 22:41
@Cacc - Which card holder would you recommend? Thanks!

I am over protective of my gear, so I keep all my cards in a Pelican 0915 memory card case. On one side I have all my MicroSD cards and a MicroSD to SD adapter. The other has all my SD cards. It can take a hit, is weatherproof, and I just feel better having everything safe and organized since little cards can get lost or damaged easily.
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=0915

For a card reader I went more on the cheap end with a Transcend USB3 small one that I carry in my kit that was about $7. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897900-REG/
On my desktop I have something that reads a few more cards, but is also a cheap Transcend that I find has the same speeds as the Sandisk one I have tried at a $13 price tag instead of $45. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/815153-REG/

Best to be overly prepared and overly protected than under; that is what I always say. That is why I always have 4x32gb and 1x16gb MicroSD cards, 2x64gb and 4x32gb SD cards, and anything I might need to unload them on me at all times when out in the field. Sometimes friends, family, or clients want the raw footage right away; you can provide that. Sometimes you get caught out in a rain storm or your kit gets knocked down by someone clumsy; your gear can handle that as well. Sometimes you meet someone so you don't end up home for a few days but don't want to stop recording anything; you have enough storage space for anything that comes your way!
2015-6-21
Use props
ygoron
lvl.1

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-6-22 08:53
I am over protective of my gear, so I keep all my cards in a Pelican 0915 memory card case. On one ...

@Cacc - Thanks for the advice! Just ordered card holder and reader
2015-6-22
Use props
dockbrn
New

United States

Hi all, I have a question, I just bought a sd card from amizon.  What are  the steps to using it on a P3 Advanced?  Thanks ! Warren

2015-8-15
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

So ? Your answer is not related to my question.This is not about megabits mate , this is not inter ...

Wrong, it means 40 megabits / second not megabytes / second. What he was trying to say is all speeds are indicated in megabits per second.
Let me make it easy, not much price difference between 32gb and 64 so get 2 cards of 64gb if u like and get the fastest card you can,!!! Easy

Good luck
2015-8-15
Use props
kevinnidea
New

Philippines

Guys, does all your phantom 3 pro come with a Lexar 16gig of microsd? how come mine came in with a Panasonic 16 gig microsd.
2015-9-25
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

The best card on the market right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _detailpage_o05_s00

Bought 4 of them, all ratings and feedbacks are excellent!
2015-9-25
Use props
wesleyrobinson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 655568 ft
  • >>>
United States

made a 2 hour trip to shoot and had a failure with a brand new high speed 64G micro SD card of good quality; my iPad recorded the video but not the card.  Is it possible that the video is still in the drone?
When using the DJI Go app it recorded to iPad but not card; when I used Litchi program I can not find the video; anyone have any advice on what I did wrong or if I can pull the video from my iPad and if I do what will the quality be; only need HD
2016-1-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wesleyrobinson Posted at 2016-2-1 09:38
made a 2 hour trip to shoot and had a failure with a brand new high speed 64G micro SD card of good  ...

No, there is no storage in the drone other than the SD card. Well no storage that is available for the video files anyhow. The files recorded to the iPad are only 720p resolution and not good quality.

There are a couple of possibilities here, the card you have is a fake. There are quite a lot of them around now. The other possibility is the card is not fast enough to record the material. I only use Sandisk Extreme cards, as a genuine Sandisk Extreme is always going to be fast enough.

Another point to remember is to always copy the material off your SD card and the re-format it in the camera before you go out shooting again. Continuously copy/deleting files can make is harder for the camera to record at full speed.
2016-1-31
Use props
pantera989
lvl.3

New Zealand

60 mbps = 60 megabits per second
Little b = bits
Capital B = Bytes

Transfer 60 MB to an card with 60 MB/s speed would take roughly a second
Transfer 60MB to an card with 60Mb/s would take 8 seconds or so.

Gigabit Networking = 1000 mb/s = 125 MB/s
2016-1-31
Use props
Cybrboss
New

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-8 22:25

Thank you for the post. Excellent point. Also curious of the write speed and format/brand you had the best luck with? U3 for 4k filming I would guess.
2016-3-16
Use props
green_d614-sp
New

United States

Hello. I just swapped out my SD card for the first time, and now i get no picture form the app and the app says my gimbal is disconnected. If i take the new Sd card out, everything works again. I read other places about this too but not much other info on how to fix it. Ive formatted the card on my pc. Wont let m format in app because it says camera is busy.
2016-8-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

green_d614-sp Posted at 2016-8-5 09:03
Hello. I just swapped out my SD card for the first time, and now i get no picture form the app and t ...

The best place to format the card is in the aircraft. It knows what format scheme to use. What is the new card you bought? You may not have a good card, or it may be counterfeit. When you place the SD card in the aircraft, it makes a quick test on it, and if it is not OK will reject the card.
2016-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules