Not sure this was a good idea.
1374 18 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MightyRouse
lvl.1
United States

So while reading through the manual I noticed on page 50 that you have the ability to stop motors in mid flight. To do so, you just hold the sticks down and in (or out and down whichever you prefer) and it will fall out of the sky. I understand it's only to be used in an emergency situation, but yikes, what if I'm trying to get a shot that accidentally has me performing that stick movement without realizing I'm about to kill the motors? Seems like more of a hazard than a safety feature. If anything in an emergency like a collision or it's tumbling out of control it's going to fall anyway. Besides, I know there's already a tilt safety function when people hand catch the aircraft and flip it upside down to shut of the motors. Anyone else think this might need to incorporate an extra step to prevent accidents or am I being overly paranoid?
2018-4-24
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I think the only way I would inadvertantly do that stick move if I was doing "outside toilet bowls", "nose out" orbits at high speed. Not for the "best imaging"....
That would just be for stunt/happy fly times better left to a racer or toy drone, not a camera ship.
Just what it is, for emergencies/panic...
Now, there have been a couple of guys doing this "just because", they shut off midflight, and restart while gravity is winning.....
I shiver....
2018-4-24
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Overly paranoid.
2018-4-24
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i do not remember it ever coming up as an issue on this forum. Don't think i ever came close to making that mistake. after you got used to flying a bit more i think you will start to see that it is a stick action you are likely to make in error.
2018-4-24
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

I've only seen that happen once. A guy I was flying with had his P3A in sport mode and was doing all kinds of weird maneuvers. It fell from 100 feet, wasn't pretty!
2018-4-24
Use props
MightyRouse
lvl.1
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2018-4-24 09:18
I think the only way I would inadvertantly do that stick move if I was doing "outside toilet bowls", "nose out" orbits at high speed. Not for the "best imaging"....
That would just be for stunt/happy fly times better left to a racer or toy drone, not a camera ship.
Just what it is, for emergencies/panic...

Right, I wouldn't normally go for those shots either, but hypothetically, it could happen to someone. Just raised eyebrows when I read that. If I wasn't paranoid losing it before, I'll be overly conscious about stick positions now. I see posts from people saying "fell out of the sky for no reason" and it makes me wonder if a couple may have triggered it by accident. I figured there'd be people dumb enough to do it on purpose. Well as long as they aren't doing it over people I guess have fun. I can think of better ways to waste $1000+
2018-4-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-4-24 09:32
I've only seen that happen once. A guy I was flying with had his P3A in sport mode and was doing all kinds of weird maneuvers. It fell from 100 feet, wasn't pretty!

The P3A doesn't have sport mode!
2018-4-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

MightyRouse Posted at 2018-4-24 09:35
Right, I wouldn't normally go for those shots either, but hypothetically, it could happen to someone. Just raised eyebrows when I read that. If I wasn't paranoid losing it before, I'll be overly conscious about stick positions now. I see posts from people saying "fell out of the sky for no reason" and it makes me wonder if a couple may have triggered it by accident. I figured there'd be people dumb enough to do it on purpose. Well as long as they aren't doing it over people I guess have fun. I can think of better ways to waste $1000+

I have tried some funny stuff/movements with my pro before and never came close to doing that. It like driving your car. your focus needs to be on what you are doing or it is going to hurt you your pocket or someone else.

Always practise safe flying
2018-4-24
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Holding down the throttle (left) stick for 3 seconds will shut down the motors (this will only work when the AC has landed to prevent premature shut down during descent), The CSC to shut down the motors while in flight (emergency) work somewhat the same way, there is a 3 second delay before the motors shut down ( so hopefully you realize your stick position before the motors quit), this is the way I shut down the motors on all my DJI stuff pretty much every flight as I have become used to doing it to arm/disarm the motors on my FPV quads. I have never found the need to be in the stick positions during filming or flying.
2018-4-24
Use props
MightyRouse
lvl.1
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-4-24 10:23
I have tried some funny stuff/movements with my pro before and never came close to doing that. It like driving your car. your focus needs to be on what you are doing or it is going to hurt you your pocket or someone else.

Always practise safe flying

Maybe DJI has programming in place to make sure accidents don't happen, which is partly why I posted this. I was hoping someone may have more insight on how this function actually operates. Perhaps you have to unload any pressure on the stick and then perform the action in order to trigger shutdown?
2018-4-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

MightyRouse Posted at 2018-4-24 10:36
Maybe DJI has programming in place to make sure accidents don't happen, which is partly why I posted this. I was hoping someone may have more insight on how this function actually operates. Perhaps you have to unload any pressure on the stick and then perform the action in order to trigger shutdown?

I don't really see any way that a person unintentionally can pull both sticks downwards and out whilst flying.
2018-4-24
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Right, I wouldn't normally go for those shots either, but hypothetically, it could happen to someone. Just raised eyebrows when I read that. If I wasn't paranoid losing it before, I'll be overly conscious about stick positions now. I see posts from people saying "fell out of the sky for no reason" and it makes me wonder if a couple may have triggered it by accident. I figured there'd be people dumb enough to do it on purpose. Well as long as they aren't doing it over people I guess have fun. I can think of better ways to waste $1000+

Here Ya go !
2018-4-24
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I might be wrong, but I think I saw a setting in the Go app, to where this could be disabled??
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2018-4-24 11:13
I might be wrong, but I think I saw a setting in the Go app, to where this could be disabled??

2018-4-24
Use props
MightyRouse
lvl.1
United States

Yeah I'm going to disable it asap. That video of those guys doing it is crazy. I don't ever see myself triggering it by accident, but under no circumstance, even in an emergency, do I want to purposely lose control of the aircraft. Studying for my 107 and I would say this attitude would be referred to as resignation ;)
2018-4-24
Use props
MightyRouse
lvl.1
United States

Looks like there's no option to disable it. In fact, I don't even see any mention of CSC in the advanced settings under the aircraft menu. In iOS or Android. Made sure the apps were updated and connected to the aircraft. Tried to make it shut off, but I wasn't able to do it. Most likely since I was too close to ground. Might have to be higher up. Either way, sucks there's no option to disable it.
2018-4-24
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-24 09:48
The P3A doesn't have sport mode!

I did not know that, never flown one. Whatever mode it was, he was doing some acrobatic moves.
2018-4-25
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Maybe you need "another version" of the Go app?
2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

We would recommend users fly in a place without many people. Flying in crowd is not recommended. Also, you need to keep the demand for a few seconds. Please be careful during flight.
2018-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules