3d printed Antenna spreader/locker for P3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
powerlord_stu.h
lvl.1
Flight distance : 515105 ft
United Kingdom

Here's a little antenna spreader, locker plate I've designed for the P3.

It slips over the end of the antennas, keeping them parallel so they won't get knocked out of alignment by mistake during flight.

It also aids keeping them both at the same orientation for either infront of, or underneath the drone.

Without it they are quite loose, and since they are hidden by your ipad, it's easy to find you've been getting reduced range as one has got knocked out of alignment.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:818249

stu

2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

That actually may not be an entirely good idea.  Believe it or not... At 2.4 gHz a chunk of plastic like that can de-tune the antenna enough to reduce the sensitivity a bit.  I would be careful & perform range tests with & without to be sure...
2015-5-9
Use props
powerlord_stu.h
lvl.1
Flight distance : 515105 ft
United Kingdom

hmm. I don't see how it could to be honest. there's far more plastic around the antennas than I've added.

I don't claim to be an RF expert, but I do have a degree in Electronic and Electrical engineering, and I don't see how a small strip of ABS could affect RF tbh.

Anyway, 2 flights with it so far, and it's been fine.

stu
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Not a bad idea   Gotta love first world problems

If I was to say something, I think it looks way too big and cumbersome. And if it can interfere with the signal as someone suggests, thats even worse.

Maybe a new version that is super small and light? That just softly holds them apart and only holds on the the antenna with tiny clips or something?
2015-5-9
Use props
Swiss Tony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505459 ft
United Kingdom

This is interesting. Today I found myself concerned with the issue of the recommended antenna positions in relation to my P3. I have found myself contorting my hand position to keep them within what's deemed to be the safest angle. If you fly from a cliff top and fly up or down, then straight out antenna position is fine, but if you fly away from yourself at the same altitude then in theory, you'd have to move them accordingly. Do they need to be in line or could one be pointed up and one be pointed straight? The manual doesn't go into much detail on this issue and it's not something I've read any horror stories about, but I'm curious.
2015-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules