“calibrate the compass”
1161 10 2018-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hans Sanchez
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello all

After not having flown my drone for many months I recently decided to take it out to a few places with no success. Everything connects just fine (RC to app to WiFi etc), the drone and the RC clearly have a connection because I can move the gimbal, but when I try to take off it just says calibrate the compass. Initially I thought it was to do with the area I was in (near a warehouse) as it said there was an electro magnetic field inteferring. However I then took the drone to 5 other different spots, some of which I’d flown the drone from previously and the same issue persists!

Has anybody had this issue? What solved it?

I try to calibrate the compass as normal every time following the instructions but it never works.

My warranty soon expires I believe, if it hasn’t already. I’ve also already had the drone replaced via warranty so I doubt DJI themselves will intervene on this one. Any tips or advice will be massively appreciated.

TLDR; drone won’t fly, persistent “calibrate the compass” error message
2018-5-26
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Since you haven't flown for a few months: Are you on the knewest firmare/app versions?
Maybe you have inconistent software?
You are not saying which drone you have so I can't tell you what the current versions are.
2018-5-26
Use props
Hans Sanchez
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-26 01:04
Since you haven't flown for a few months: Are you on the knewest firmare/app versions?
Maybe you have inconistent software?
You are not saying which drone you have so I can't tell you what the current versions are.

Hi Eric, I have a phantom 3 standard, I deleted and redownloaded the DJI Go app because I wasn’t sure if my app had the latest update. What else could you suggest I should do? I’m not sure how to check firmware on the app once opened - also what should it be?
2018-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A persistent compass error message and not being able to calibrate usually means that your compass is disconnected.
The usual cause is a broken fine wire down the bottom of your landing gear.
Otherwise the connection to the mainboard has come loose.TheTo confirm, go to the Sensors section of the app settings and see what it shows for the compass.
If you see zero, you'll never calibrate until it's fixed.
If you see numbers, (you probably won't) it's something else.
2018-5-26
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Hans Sanchez Posted at 2018-5-26 01:25
Hi Eric, I have a phantom 3 standard, I deleted and redownloaded the DJI Go app because I wasn’t sure if my app had the latest update. What else could you suggest I should do? I’m not sure how to check firmware on the app once opened - also what should it be?

Try Labroides suggestion first.
In the app you go to MC Settings > Advanced (at the bottom) > Sensors State.
Look if there are entries shown under "Compass".
You need to be connected to the drone for that!

See this in regards to firmware update:
2018-5-26
Use props
Hans Sanchez
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-26 02:07
A persistent compass error message and not being able to calibrate usually means that your compass is disconnected.
The usual cause is a broken fine wire down the bottom of your landing gear.
Otherwise the connection to the mainboard has come loose.TheTo confirm, go to the Sensors section of the app settings and see what it shows for the compass.

Hi Ladbroides thanks for the tip I will do that tomorrow; out of curiosity however, if it is zero and therefore broken; how do I fix it? I live in the UK and I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of drone repair services, would that be something DJI can assist with?
2018-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Hans Sanchez Posted at 2018-5-26 16:08
Hi Ladbroides thanks for the tip I will do that tomorrow; out of curiosity however, if it is zero and therefore broken; how do I fix it? I live in the UK and I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of drone repair services, would that be something DJI can assist with?

If it's broken and not just disconnected, the common fix is new landing gear (which comes with a new compass).
A little google searching might find drone repair people closer to home, otherwise DJI service should be able to do it.

2018-5-26
Use props
Hans Sanchez
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-26 18:22
If it's broken and not just disconnected, the common fix is new landing gear (which comes with a new compass).
A little google searching might find drone repair people closer to home, otherwise DJI service should be able to do it.

Thank you ladbroides much appreciated. Lastly, what about if it’s disconnected rather than broken?
2018-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Hans Sanchez Posted at 2018-5-27 00:59
Thank you ladbroides much appreciated. Lastly, what about if it’s disconnected rather than broken?

If the connection to the mainboard has worked loose, just plug it back in.
2018-5-27
Use props
Badboar60
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16 ft
United States

My compass never calibrates close to the aircraft heading.  There are no messages, errors, etc.  It is  consistently 30 degrees (+/- 5 percent) off.  Is there a way to zero my heading for better accuracy?

I fly a Phantom 3 Pro, I have performed a compass and IMU calibration several times, and my aircraft and RC  are up to date as far as firmware.  I also have a second P3P that is right on the money when it is cal'ed.  It has been through the same process as the one in question.

Any ideas are welcome?

Thanks

Badboar
2018-10-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Badboar60 Posted at 2018-10-13 16:04
My compass never calibrates close to the aircraft heading.  There are no messages, errors, etc.  It is  consistently 30 degrees (+/- 5 percent) off.  Is there a way to zero my heading for better accuracy?

I fly a Phantom 3 Pro, I have performed a compass and IMU calibration several times, and my aircraft and RC  are up to date as far as firmware.  I also have a second P3P that is right on the money when it is cal'ed.  It has been through the same process as the one in question.

Your aircraft does not fly according to an absolute compass heading, it simply goes where you point it. During programmed manouvres, it will fly on a heading that is calculated to take it to trhe next point in the program though.
2018-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules