Command Timeout
1990 4 2018-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans325ce6ff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5418609 ft

Flying the other night, about 10 minutes in and “Command Timeout” warning comes up. Screen goes blank and I have no control. Tried everything to reconnect,,,restarting the app, turning the controller off and back on....etc.  still nothing. I hit the S2 switch and luckily, RTH initiated. Still not sure why RTH didn’t initiate immediately when signal was lost. Still trying to figure out what command timeout means. Lucky this time, but would like to avoid a repeat.  Has anyone experienced this?  Any ideas about what may have happened?  I was about 200ft up and 1500 ft away when it happened. Thanks.
2018-5-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans325,

This is strange.  I never heard of a Command Time-out either.  Sounds like it may be related to your device.  However, everything else seems to have worked properly and RTH succeeded.  

I know this is going to sound strange, but when you were going through this panicky situation, time does not seem to be right.  Remember how when we are in "Danger" "Our life flashed before our eyes"?  Well, there is a distortion of time in a panicky situation.  Also, RTH does go into effect three seconds after loosing contact with the remote controller.  But there are other events included in the RTH protocol so three seconds does not seem like three seconds.  It never does to me and I do know about this phenomenon.  

Anyway, it looks like your phone or tablet had a conniption and shut down under the flight requirements.  Looking into the device requirements for iOS and Android devices might help to see if you are in need of an upgrade in equipment or a few reinstallations at least.  Right now we have no information about what you are flying and what your network is made up of.  You are supposed to be flying a network of three computers with possibly cable and WiFi connectivity.  

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, may I know which mobile device do you use and what's the current aircraft and APP version? If the message appears again, please try to reconnect the RC and mobile to see if it helps.
2018-5-27
Use props
fans325ce6ff
lvl.2

Version 3.3.13, iPad Air 2 with Phantom 3 standard. I’ve been using the iPad for about a year with no other issues. I do use the iPad for my Mavic Pro as well so the go4 app is on the iPad but closed during standard flight. Not sure if this could be an issue. When I lost connection with the command timeout, it took about 5-7 min for RTH to kick in using the s2 switch (not sure if hitting the switch helped of if I was just lucky).
2018-5-28
Use props
fans325ce6ff
lvl.2
United States

An interesting twist.  I have the entire flight on video.  I looked at the sd card last night and the recording continued after the command timeout warning and loss of signal.  The video shows that I was stationary for approximately 3 minutes.  The video kept recording even though I had complete signal loss.  It shows that I rotated the drone several times and then after almost 3 minutes, it ascended to RTH altitude and started back.  So, complete signal loss but still recording and no flight record after signal loss.  Still trying to figure this one out.
2018-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules