Phantom Vs Mavic for aerial photography of woods
925 19 2018-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alteredjosh
lvl.1

United States

I am looking to buy a new drone to do aerial photography of wooded area in different seasons.
I am looking at either the Mavic Pro Platinium or the Phantom Pro 4 V2.
I do not travel a whole lot other than in my car or truck. We hardlky ever fly anywhere unless it is with work so not sure that the smaller space requirements would be needed or not but have always been told that if its easy to keep with you then youre more likely to take it with you.
I have owned the origional Mavic and a Phantom 3 but it has been a while.

I will be taking a series of pictures and merging them together to make a larger map layout and then printing it in my print shop if this helps.
I of course would use it for fun as well but this would be one of th emain uses.

Thank you for all the help.

2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For your personal needs of the drone the P4P seems like it will be better suited.
2018-7-2
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Since this is around the corner I would wait what they come up with before you make your choice:
https://www.droningon.co/2018/06/16/dji-release-invites-for-july-18th-new-york-event-hints-at-360-camera/
2018-7-2
Use props
alteredjosh
lvl.1

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-2 03:06
For your personal needs of the drone the P4P seems like it will be better suited.

i keep leaning that way to make the purchase but always stop before i click buy simply b/c in the back of my head i keep thinking what if it is to large to keep around me. Then when i think about the Mavic its always a thought of will i wish i had gone with the better camera lol..
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alteredjosh Posted at 2018-7-2 03:11
i keep leaning that way to make the purchase but always stop before i click buy simply b/c in the back of my head i keep thinking what if it is to large to keep around me. Then when i think about the Mavic its always a thought of will i wish i had gone with the better camera lol..

An alternaive to both is to wait until the 18th of this month - DJI have a major new release. It's all very speculative as to which and what sort of drone they will announce but I suspect it will be a second gen Mavic Pro with a camera that will give the P4P a wake up call... May be worth holding back until then.
2018-7-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we do appreciate and thank you for being a DJI fan. For better understanding about what to choose from our consumer drones line -up, please click the link provided. Thank you.

Consumer Drones
2018-7-2
Use props
alteredjosh
lvl.1

United States

I had read that yesterday and was thinking about waiting.  We leave for vacation on the 6th and come home on the 15th so that gives me some time to research and decide on a p4 or mavic just Incase they don’t release anything worth it on the 18th.  
2018-7-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alteredjosh Posted at 2018-7-2 03:20
I had read that yesterday and was thinking about waiting.  We leave for vacation on the 6th and come home on the 15th so that gives me some time to research and decide on a p4 or mavic just Incase they don’t release anything worth it on the 18th.

Good idea. Always best to make an objective decision and not jump into anything that may give you buyers remorse.
2018-7-2
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

alteredjosh Posted at 2018-7-2 03:20
I had read that yesterday and was thinking about waiting.  We leave for vacation on the 6th and come home on the 15th so that gives me some time to research and decide on a p4 or mavic just Incase they don’t release anything worth it on the 18th.

You should have the cost in mind, if they release a Mavic II  as the rumors say they might, most likely the existing get cheaper. If you're not in emergency need it would be wise to wait a little.
2018-7-2
Use props
alteredjosh
lvl.1

If they release anything new I wouldn’t be purchasing an older model. I’ll go ahead and go with the newest as it’s not like I am
Upgrading from one to another so I already have in my mind the money I will spend. Might as well purchase the newest.  This would be my biggest reason for waiting as I already have a few first jobs ready and they will cover the cost now matter what the drone cost really within reason.

I still have my part 107 and all that so I’m a little ahead of the game just need my drone now haha.
2018-7-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If image quality is important, the Phantom is the one to go for.
If compact portability is more important, go for the Mavic.
2018-7-2
Use props
djiuser_IOvkQ6Na5N07
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9954 ft
United States

Yes, but waiting too long may mean the tariffs that affect pricing might go into effect. I'm about to purchase a Phantom 4 Pro V2 and am torn about waiting.
2018-7-2
Use props
alteredjosh
lvl.1

Will not effect anything in the states?  
2018-7-2
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

alteredjosh Posted at 2018-7-2 12:00
Will not effect anything in the states?

When you start a war, you never know what the result will be, or when it will happen!
2018-7-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

I would take the P4P (v2) / P4A because of the superior image quality.
2018-7-3
Use props
alteredjosh
lvl.1

Thank you guys for all the info so far.  I do have one request if any one does.  Anyone have any images from a p4p and or from a mavic that would show the details in trees from above.  
2018-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

alteredjosh Posted at 2018-7-3 02:30
Thank you guys for all the info so far.  I do have one request if any one does.  Anyone have any images from a p4p and or from a mavic that would show the details in trees from above.

Areas of tree cover are difficult to stitch properly because the software can't easily find pairs of distinct points to match.
You'll need the best detail you can get.
Here's a link to a P4 pro pic for you:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak13vG6CU8yVad7UXDc_Ua1AsDs
2018-7-3
Use props
alteredjosh
lvl.1

As far as stitching I will not be using standard software.  I own a graphic design company as well as a print shop.  So the image stitching isn’t an issue.  I am leaving Mke at the p4p the more research I do.
2018-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

alteredjosh Posted at 2018-7-3 04:52
As far as stitching I will not be using standard software.  I own a graphic design company as well as a print shop.  So the image stitching isn’t an issue.  I am leaving Mke at the p4p the more research I do.

I don't use "standard software" for mapping.
But the software has a lot of trouble matching points when the whole photo is just soft fluffy forest canopy.
2018-7-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-3 03:29
Areas of tree cover are difficult to stitch properly because the software can't easily find pairs of distinct points to match.
You'll need the best detail you can get.
Here's a link to a P4 pro pic for you:

Is this where you live? Maleny?
I might be travelling to Brisbane this fall. Coffee?   
2018-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules