Extremely Disappointed (app disconnecting)
12Next >
7731 41 2015-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

So here we are again,

Another product from DJI and the same old merry go round with their awful support staff when an issue arises with their products.

This time its the P3P and the DJI Pilot app.

The problem: The widely reported "bug/problem" on the ipad mini 2 whereby the app disconnects after around 6-7 minutes of flying, thus resulting in no/intermittent FPV. The ipad mini 2 is brand new (I bought it solely for the purpose of flying the drone).

So i emailed DJI with the problem, clearly stating that I was using the firmware update 1.1.8 (it says normal status/up to date firmware etc on the app) and the app 1.1.1 and waited for 4 days for a response. Their response "please make sure you are using 1.1.1 app and 1.1.8 firmware" !!!!!!!!

FACE PALM!! I mean really!?!?!?! 4 days for that!!!

So I write on the forums and see that many other users have the same problem, there is a thread on this forum and also two or three threads on the phantom pilots forum with the same issue. Here is an example from me but others report the same after my comment: http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... /page-3#post-387014

24/7 live chat admit there is a problem, but currently do not have a fix for it. They tell me they are waiting on a P3P from China to be returned to them with the same problem, and then they will tell me what it is - god knows how long I have to wait for that.

My dealer says swap the ipad mini 2 for an android device but I am not allowed to exchange my ipad mini air 2 (worth $500 or so) at the shop as it is now registered and used. There are also no guarantees that this will fix the problem as I have also tested it with my friends Ipad Air 2 (the big version) and the exact same problems occurr - so it is not the exact tablet that is at fault or its cable (used friends cable too). It COULD be an apple problem, but one suspects that it will also happen on Android.

I had unlimited problems with the DJI PV2+ (GPS problems, calibration problems, interference problems literally from start to finish until i sold it) and now I have this issue with what is meant to be their flagship product.

Forgive me for whinging, but when you pay $1500 for the machine and a further $500 for the ipad mini 2, you expect the bleeding thing to work. I lve their products, but the support and reliability is nothing short of terrible.

Is there a representative from DJI who can escalate this case (quickly) for me? Am I entitled to a full refund or exchange for a new p3p?

Help much appreciated,

Paul
2015-5-19
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

A lot of people think it's a FW issue since they didn't have it before updating. Probably not what you want to hear, but at least it should get rectified on the next update and without having to spend more money.
l haven't updated yet, l downloaded onto a card but there's no way it's going into the Phantom unless it needs to be used as a stepping stone to a later issue. My ipad 2 mini has no problem maintaining connection so l don't think it's Apple-related.
2015-5-19
Use props
s_nyky.yahoo
lvl.2

Canada

Hi Paul, I am having the same issues as you with a BRAND NEW iPad mini 3 purchased specifically for my phantom 3 Pro. And like you I have tried all the things that you have mentioned. Emailed DJI a week ago and absolutely no response as of yet. I have only flown six or seven flights now and it happens non stop, and it is annoying to say the least. So far it hasn't affected flight yet........I am hoping it is a firmware issue but without an official word from DJI all we can do is wait. And complain!!
2015-5-19
Use props
wanccie
lvl.2

United States

Hi Paul,
I have an iPad mini 2 16gig refurbished that I bought solely for this purpose and I have no issues.  I have flown over 43 flights.   I wonder why I'm not having issues like you, if it's really the firmware since I am running 1.1.8 also.  I did notice my screen would freeze intermittently  and someone suggested to enable hardware hardware decode and that took care of all of my screen issues.  Wish I had the answer, but I don't.  
Are you running the latest software on the iPad. I'm running IOS 8.3 with no issues.  Hope they get it fixed for you if it really is a software bug.

Keep us posted if you get anywhere with DJI support.
lp
2015-5-19
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

Same issue here, app is shutting down and iPad is getting really hot, one time a warning came on (the IPad) saying its was to hot and it needed to be cooled down before I could use it again. its a brand new iPad mini 3 I bought just for the P3. DJI pilot app is the only thing on it? I emailed them about this issue( and others) on the 10th and still never haven't heard back anything yet. I don't know about anyone else but $1300 is ALOT of money to me, and I finally decided to to buy one of these???………. trying really hard to stay positive.              
2015-5-19
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

rincondanny Posted at 2015-5-20 10:19
Same issue here, app is shutting down and iPad is getting really hot, one time a warning came on (th ...

The very first time I flew the bird I also got an overheating ipad...

This is wholeheartedly unacceptable DJI - this is not an isolated issue!!!!!!!

$1500 for the phantom 3, $500 for an ipad 2...

Pathetic.

Tonight I am going to try and test it with my friends android phone - will try to update here the results, if its what I suspect (firmware bug) then I dont think it will work with that either.
2015-5-19
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Do you have the hardware decode option enabled or disabled ?
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-20 16:51
Do you have the hardware decode option enabled or disabled ?

Enabled. Tried it both ways though, no difference!
2015-5-20
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

It has to be enabled for A8 processor only.
2015-5-20
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

I contacted the colleague who you talked to, he told me another P3P with same problem is on the way, we will receive it soon.
Once we received it, we will immediately make an analysis, if the firmware can solve it we will make a feedback to you at once.
Sorry to keep you waiting but we are working on this.
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-20 16:54
I contacted the colleague who you talked to, he told me another P3P with same problem is on the way, ...

Hi Autumn,

Thank you for your response, do you work for DJI?

Yes I spoke to "Phantom_Alen" on 24/7 live chat... he said that they were expecting an answer on it "in 3 days time"...

That was about 6 days ago though and so far nothing.

Fed up!
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ulysse Posted at 2015-5-20 16:53

Makes no odds, tried both ways and both the same
2015-5-20
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

paulsheaves@hot Posted at 2015-5-20 17:03
Hi Autumn,

Thank you for your response, do you work for DJI?

Yes I am an employee at DJI. :-)
I'll also follow up and keep you posted.
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-20 17:17

Autumn,

Thank you for your help.

You are now my main port of call here.

Please keep me updated, and I will wait to hear from you.
2015-5-20
Use props
jeff.wyman.mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3194669 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Ulysse -

What does the hardware decode do?  

Thanks for the info.

Jeff
2015-5-20
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

When enabled, the A8 processor capabilities are used to decode and process the download flux. Otherwise it is done by the software.
2015-5-20
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-20 17:17

Thank you!
2015-5-20
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Ulysse, where is this detailed? Thanks.
2015-5-20
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

From Tahoe_Ed, a DJI guy : http://forum.dji.com/thread-10714-1-1.html
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

update - im afraid there is no update from me, my friend with the android bailed on me tonight :-( Might go again Sunday evening :-( :-( :-(
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Does anyone know if a samsung galaxy s4 with android 5.0.1 is compatible? Or an HTC one Mini with 4.4.2?
2015-5-20
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I am using an IPad Air 2.  I am not having any issues.  Perhaps it is limited to the "mini" only?
I will say that I put the iPad in airplane mode before flying to eliminate any possibility of interference.
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-21 03:46
I am using an IPad Air 2.  I am not having any issues.  Perhaps it is limited to the "mini" only?
I  ...

You are one of the lucky ones...

I tested it with my friends Ipad air 2 and still the same...

Its obviously not a fault on all ipads, but there is clearly a fault as its not an isolated case...

Once i try on android we will know more.
2015-5-20
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

paulsheaves@hot Posted at 2015-5-21 14:53
You are one of the lucky ones...

I tested it with my friends Ipad air 2 and still the same...

Thank you for your test, i'll note it.
2015-5-20
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-21 15:39
Thank you for your test, i'll note it.

Still no news your end Autumn?

Can I ask you, am I entitled to a refund because the product clearly doesn't work the way it is meant to?

Seems to me the easiest solution is to return to the dealer and swap for a new one that works?
2015-5-21
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

the opposite is correct, it has to be deactivated for A8 devices because DJI claims there is a bug in the A8 GPU. When enabled you will have random ipad reboots but its much faster like 0.2 ms vs 0.3 ms latency with hardware decode off. Its just the GPU process the data when enabled
2015-5-21
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

paulsheaves@hot Posted at 2015-5-20 15:38
The very first time I flew the bird I also got an overheating ipad...

This is wholeheartedly unac ...

Its normal that the Ipad will overheat in the summertime, the decoding and the ultra high brightness setting let the ipad overheat really fast in the summertime. If you have a protective case than its finito afer 5 minutes or so because the cooling is even worse. The App disconnecting is not only an iOS Probolem, the android version have even more disconnects
2015-5-21
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

UPDATE:

Tested tonight with a brand new Sony phone on Android Version 5.0.2...

It kept asking me about USB debugging even though i had already enabled it, but, more importantly, you guessed it, it disconnected with no signal once the battery got a little lower (or 6-7 mins flight time if you prefer).

After all the problems i had with the PV2+ im pretty livid, and will demand a refund from my dealer.
2015-5-21
Use props
chrisongtj
lvl.1

Singapore

Did you download the app from the website or play store?
2015-5-21
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

chrisongtj Posted at 2015-5-22 03:46
Did you download the app from the website or play store?

Website...

New update for everyone:

I tried with an android phone, and it also disconnected. This was an indoor flight at room temperature (to also test at the same time if it was something to do with overheating/the Dubai summer heat of outside).

The drone is now back at the dealer, along with my ipad mini 2, in the hope that they can fix it from disconnecting.

In the meantime, I still haven't heard back from DJI, having sent them 2 emails, and a 24/7 live chat rep saying they "should have a fix for this in 3 days" (this was well over a week ago LOL).
2015-5-24
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

paulsheaves@hot Posted at 2015-5-25 06:24
Website...

New update for everyone:

Same as me, still waiting for their update. But at least I know they are working on it.
2015-5-26
Use props
kenji_jetter
lvl.1

Taiwan

I was unable to even connect my sony Z3 and Galaxy tab s (both android 5.0.2) to my P3P firmware 1.1.9!! The USB debugging is popping up all the time but no connection at all.
2015-5-28
Use props
Pilot4Delta
lvl.1

United States

I have been having the same issue since loading the new DJI pilot app.  Every flight, sometimes with the drone just feet away, I am getting a disconnect message and losing all video feed.  I am still able to control the drone.  I have a P3A and am using an iPhone 6+.  I also am getting disconnects when taking HDR pictures for about 5-10 seconds but those seem to correct themselves.

I have tried every suggestion I have read on the forums to fix the problem to no avail.  There is obviously some issue here and I hope that DJI will solve it ASAP before people start losing their expensive gear.
2015-5-29
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

My P3A always loses video feed after taking an HDR photo.  You can watch the camera button in the app and it shows that it is saving the HDR photo.  After this is complete, the video feed returns.  This happens EVERY time I take an HDR photo.  I pretty much NEVER lose video feed otherwise.   P3A - iPad 3 64g wifi+cell
2015-5-29
Use props
Pilot4Delta
lvl.1

United States

If it was only during HDR shots, I could accept that.  Unfortunately it is happening randomly and does not reset itself in flight.  The 24/7 support chat is useless and has told me to contact the US support line which is closed until Monday.  Is DJI aware of this issue and attempting to correct it.  I have seen many others reporting the same problem recently.
2015-5-29
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Pilot4Delta@gma Posted at 2015-5-30 08:43
I have been having the same issue since loading the new DJI pilot app.  Every flight, sometimes with ...

Couldn't agree more
2015-5-31
Use props
paulsheaves
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-26 19:02
Same as me, still waiting for their update. But at least I know they are working on it.

Autumn,

Is there an update for us please?

I think it is plainly obvious that there are a number of cases with this same issue, from this thread alone it is clear that this is not an isolated problem.

Has the new firmware and app update helped at all?

My drone is currently with the dealer, who don't really know what to do - there is nothing mechanically wrong with the drone, so they do not know whether i am entitled to a replacement or not.

I have to say that having spent $1500 on the drone and a further $500 on the brand new ipad mini 2, I am extremely angry that myself and others are in effect the Beta testers for this product, the guinea pigs that feed DJI with all the hiccups of their products.

For a product of $2000 to get it in the air, this is unacceptable and I would like to know how DJI will compensate us?
2015-5-31
Use props
Ardianblur
lvl.1

Indonesia

having the same problem : http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;extra=#pid124921

i'm suspicious with the USB port the transmitter, i've switched transmitter with my friend with the same device and cable, and the problem is gone with other transmitter.
2015-5-31
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

Ardianblur Posted at 2015-6-1 00:20
having the same problem : http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=15448&page=1&extra=#pid1 ...

I'm going to swap out the cable with the hope that its that simple. Otherwise I may have to return the unit. Not a fan of returning a unit I spent over 1k on and having issues within 1 month of it. Will update if cable is all it was. Won't be able to try another device until this weekend. Will update if that android tablet makes a difference also.
2015-5-31
Use props
Ardianblur
lvl.1

Indonesia

so...there's a HDMI board upgrade will be coming, and it will come with HDMI and USB out. i believe changing those port by our self will be faster than sending it back to DJI. but the question is when will they release it
2015-5-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules