I think i shorted my GPS
2308 22 2015-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Recently I replaced the shell of my P3V+  All was working for about 10 minutes and now I get ZERO sats on GPS.  I check to insure it is plugged in and and still no sats.  I now fear I may have torn the GPS sheild and the copper inside may have shorted the GPS disk.  Any way to test the disk without buying another $170 part?

Thanks in advance.
2015-5-28
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Connect the Phantom to the assistant software to see if it shows the GPS firmware version.
2015-5-28
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

If the assistant shows 0.0.0.0 then it's not seeing the GPS . Verify the plug to the main board is tight and key is correct.
2015-5-28
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-29 05:34
If the assistant shows 0.0.0.0 then it's not seeing the GPS . Verify the plug to the main board is t ...

1. I bought the new GPS chip at the local DJI shop
2. Upgrade screen sees it.
3. GPS sats=0  Tried several places outside still 0.

Thoughts?

2015-5-28
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Time to upgrade!! Get the p3 you won't regret it!,
2015-5-28
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

When you are outside and you power up the bird. What color of led's are you getting and is it flashing xx number of times. Sometimes you may have to wait up to 5 minutes to get s lock especially on overcast or cloudy days. If after 5 minutes and you don't see any satellites then you may have a hardware issue. How old is your bird?
You say you replace your shell! After a crash? The GPS plugs into the Mai board that could have been damaged sorry to say. If so you may get one on,EBay for around 60 bucks. However if the Naza sees it in the firmware that kinda says it should be working. Are you seeing the other telementry data in you tablet/phone?
2015-5-29
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-5-29 18:34
When you are outside and you power up the bird. What color of led's are you getting and is it flashi ...

Thanks for your response.  I will check the lights tonight when I get how and repost.
Yes, bad crash, replaced shell and ESCs.  Bird was working nice and flying with 8 sats the night I finished.  Next day 0 sats.  All other telemetry is showing up...and the motors still start but 0 sats.  I have had it outside for around 5 minutes and watched but zip sats.
2015-5-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

When you are outside and you power up the bird. What color of led's are you getting and is it flashi ...

Roy,

You're a good guy! I think you have become a Gerry protégé! You seem very willing to try to help folks out. Just in case it hasn't been said enough, Thank You. It's guys like you and Gerry that keep this whole thing going.

Jerry
2015-5-29
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Ace,

You seem to know a fair bit about these Phantoms and I think you're a pretty good guy too. JMHO but you might want to lighten up a bit, you seem a bit to harsh to people sometimes. Remember, a lot of these guys are really new, they don't know what we do. They're looking for advice from guys like us. Be a bit more patient, help 'em out a bit. Hey, do your own thing, I'm just saying...

Jerry
2015-5-29
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Gonna throw in my 5p worth, when you plug the plug from the GPS into the board, it can be turned round and plugged in as it isnt keyed to fit one way, try turning the plug round and see if that helps
2015-5-29
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

funny thing:  after fix it worked fine but next day 0 sats?  Expand on this some?

use ohmeter and ohm from the little center pin on the square antenna to the ground all around it;  since assistance sees it, the INTERFACE works.  sounds like maybe there is a little solder blob shorting the actual tiny antenna pin to the surrounding ground....
2015-5-29
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

The question about the lights.  Compass is calibarated and it has 0 sats.  Lights are 1 green then 4 reds.  Any help?
2015-5-29
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-5-30 01:11
Gonna throw in my 5p worth, when you plug the plug from the GPS into the board, it can be turned rou ...

Thanks for the idea.  The plug has 2 ridges on it and those keep it from going in the other way.  I did try though.  Thanks
2015-5-29
Use props
fedecrvision
lvl.1

Costa Rica

On assistant check compass values, compass may need reset and/or calibration.
2015-5-29
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-5-30 09:00
Thanks for the idea.  The plug has 2 ridges on it and those keep it from going in the other way.   ...

Only plug itin backwards if you are ready to pay for a new gps board;  that will most likely blow all semiconductors on the board!  if in doubt of polarity, search for the gps connector issue and look at the many many pictures showing proper orientation - just look at the wires and colors!
2015-5-30
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-5-30 09:00
Thanks for the idea.  The plug has 2 ridges on it and those keep it from going in the other way.   ...

Only plug itin backwards if you are ready to pay for a new gps board;  that will most likely blow all semiconductors on the board!  if in doubt of polarity, search for the gps connector issue and look at the many many pictures showing proper orientation - just look at the wires and colors!
2015-5-30
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-5-30 08:57
The question about the lights.  Compass is calibarated and it has 0 sats.  Lights are 1 green then ...

hmmmm green then 4 reds.  standard classic text book colors as explained in nazi manual.  means less than 2 gps sat locks!  nothing broke there......
2015-5-30
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

fedecrvision Posted at 2015-5-30 14:55
On assistant check compass values, compass may need reset and/or calibration.

Eurka!  I went back to calibrate compass.  Said I did not need to recal. but I did an advance anyway.  I got a "Basic Error" with no message.  I ran it again and no errors.  WOW!  Took it out and picked up 7 sats in 30 secs.

Thanks all for you help.
2015-5-31
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

glad you are running again!   

FM for sure!
2015-5-31
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-6-1 06:35
Eurka!  I went back to calibrate compass.  Said I did not need to recal. but I did an advance anyw ...

curious,

do you think the original GPS just needed the calibrations as well? since the new acted same as it did
2015-5-31
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-6-1 12:38
curious,

do you think the original GPS just needed the calibrations as well? since the new acted  ...

Great question but once I got it working I left it alone.  Thanks again.
2015-6-1
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-6-2 00:22
Great question but once I got it working I left it alone.  Thanks again.

yea I wouldn't mess either....

well at least you have a backup gps maybe
2015-6-1
Use props
fedecrvision
lvl.1

Costa Rica

acenothing Posted at 2015-6-1 06:35
Eurka!  I went back to calibrate compass.  Said I did not need to recal. but I did an advance anyw ...

Good to know, enjoy your flights!
2015-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules