New Mavic Air Lost in Ocean
12Next >
2788 40 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leopardjferry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155764 ft

Stop me if you've heard this before, but I lost my new Mavic Air into the ocean this afternoon. ... Probably pilot error. Anyway, here's what happened. With 98% battery, went out about a mile -- land->water->land. At farthest point, 5,770 ft., battery was at 72%. A few seconds later, began homebound trip with 69% battery. Got a message, "Attitude too large. Forward backward obstacle sensing is unavailable." There was some wind, which I'd initially thought was a crosswind; out along the flight path, though, it was probably a headwind. Outbound, it went at about 18 mph. Coming back, about 8-9 mph. About halfway across the water (a harbor), it gave out a few warnings and then said it had to land. It only made it about halfway back to home and is now sitting in 15 ft. of water about 20 yards from shore. Who knows, maybe I'll go diving for it.
2018-8-28
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Sport mode, did you use it, would have likely got you back against that wind, the "attitude too large" means it was fighting some serious breeze unfortunately and having to sit on quite an angle to make headway.
2018-8-28
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I think with naval aircrat, their range with a tail wind is farther than with a head wind.  Many a navy carrier pilot over the ocean has found this out the hard way.  Topgun:  "Maverick, your ego is writing checks your body can't cover."
2018-8-28
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2018-8-28 17:45
Sport mode, did you use it, would have likely got you back against that wind, the "attitude too large" means it was fighting some serious breeze unfortunately and having to sit on quite an angle to make headway.

Hey, thanks for the info. I was in normal mode and only went to sport near the end. I'd heard that sport depletes the battery faster, so I was hesitant to use it.
2018-8-28
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

It does, but you would have still likely made it back - it's a pretty decent failsafe to flick into IF this happens again, it also disables battery-hogging sensors, so the depletion is not as bad as you think it is. The problem is in the initial panic, most people forget it's there. Bugger, chalk it up to experience I'm afraid to say.
2018-8-28
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The message you see unificate high wind. This is very common pilot error. Fly to open sea far away and when wind increase they can’t return to dry land. You should keep your drone close when fly to open sea.
2018-8-28
Use props
Behshad
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

First thing you do in situations like this is not to panic.  People try to guide the drone home right away at the high altitude.  What you should’ve done is go as low you can so you won’t have to find the winds at high alt. And the. Coast home.  Sorry for your loss.  
2018-8-28
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-8-28 17:46
I think with naval aircrat, their range with a tail wind is farther than with a head wind.  Many a navy carrier pilot over the ocean has found this out the hard way.  Topgun:  "Maverick, your ego is writing checks your body can't cover."

Yep. My error was in not knowing the wind conditions along the route.
2018-8-28
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2018-8-28 17:53
It does, but you would have still likely made it back - it's a pretty decent failsafe to flick into IF this happens again, it also disables battery-hogging sensors, so the depletion is not as bad as you think it is. The problem is in the initial panic, most people forget it's there. Bugger, chalk it up to experience I'm afraid to say.

Yep, agreed. Lesson learned.
2018-8-28
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

GDL Posted at 2018-8-28 17:58
The message you see unificate high wind. This is very common pilot error. Fly to open sea far away and when wind increase they can’t return to dry land. You should keep your drone close when fly to open sea.

Thanks for the input.
2018-8-28
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

Behshad Posted at 2018-8-28 17:58
First thing you do in situations like this is not to panic.  People try to guide the drone home right away at the high altitude.  What you should’ve done is go as low you can so you won’t have to find the winds at high alt. And the. Coast home.  Sorry for your loss.

Good advice. Thanks. ... The loss was only a piece of electronics. A slightly expensive piece of electronics, but nothing I'm going to sulk over.
2018-8-28
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I get the "attitude too large" warning pretty often.  I was told here it's not cataclysmic.

Should I be more worried when I see this?
2018-8-28
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Sorry to read that mate
2018-8-28
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

Bluehook Posted at 2018-8-28 18:11
I get the "attitude too large" warning pretty often.  I was told here it's not cataclysmic.

Who knows? I'm a pretty new flier. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. ... I would say, be worried if you're flying some distance away, as I was.
2018-8-28
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

dronberg> I'm pretty new too.

And most here say it's fine to do so - but am too chicken to fly over a large body of water.

2018-8-28
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

Bluehook Posted at 2018-8-28 18:22

And most here say it's fine to do so - but am too chicken to fly over a large body of water.

I was hesitant at first, but I had no problems on the little forays I took out over the sea. I live on the coast, so I was destined to fly it over ever-increasing swaths of water.
2018-8-28
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4

droneberg> what was the wind speed?

If Weatherbug says it's more than 15 mph, I won't fly.I

For the more experienced pilots here> How strong does the wind need to be to create a disasterous scenario?

2018-8-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Another current thread on the matter of flying over water. Sorry to hear you lost your MA.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D534%26typeid%3D534
2018-8-28
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Wind can be much stronger on open sea. It’s difficult to judge wind speed at seaside. It can be very different when you fly out. If catch tail wind when you flying out you will have big trouble when return. Many people lost drone in this way.

Only use 20% power to fly out miles away. Return on 60% is more than enough? And the result is landing in sea.
2018-8-28
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

And another new pilot who loses his drone out in the ocean, just a few days ago: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D534%26typeid%3D534

I don't understand why new pilots tend to do some crazy stuff and fly out for like 1.5km into the ocean which is 1. out of LOS and 2. so risky with all the winds?
Your fault, sorry to say it the hard way.
2018-8-28
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

A useful UAV forecast website that provides key information, I have the app on my phone and check to be sure before flight.  This will hopefully help someone if in doubt. I'm not affiliated with site in any way. It's available for IOS and Android devices.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/uav-forecast/id1050023752?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uavforecast
2018-8-28
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bluehook Posted at 2018-8-28 18:11

Attitude too large typically means that the aircrafts OA sensors are at an angle that they can no longer function in a way that is going to prevent collisions. This is typically when there are higher winds or based entirely off speed of aircraft. If you are flying in higher winds, keep in mind OA aint going to save you and fly with caution. If it appears in normal flight where winds are a key factor there something screwy about your AC
2018-8-29
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

What ill say is this, Always be in LOS. I am a part 107 pilot and having close to 5 months real world experience with sUAS flight, (not including about 2 years of indoor "toy" quads), there is almost never a reason to go beyond LOS. That being said, I have had issues in the past when I challenged the rule by going a bit further, but I learned my lesson the hard way when my drone almost decided that cow pie was whats for dinner. Since then, I never exceed 1200-1500 feet MAX, since my aircraft are small and only got the benefit that they are both darker color than say a phantom. Also, If you are not 100% confident in any operation, thats the time to turn around and go home. Your AC is not worth the chance to get some amazing shot, nor is risking fines or even prison time for endangering airspace, people or property. Simple rules to live by: See drone, Know its limits, Understand regulations. I am sympathetic to your case and others as I understand what its like to be a new person to this field, but being new isn't an excuse for negligence of safe operating practices.  I hope this finds you well, and I hope that you can get back up in the air soon,
Alpha
2018-8-29
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

Bluehook Posted at 2018-8-28 19:39

I honestly don't know what the wind speed was. "Not strong"? Will be paying more attention to it from now on, though.
2018-8-29
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2018-8-29 00:35
What ill say is this, Always be in LOS. I am a part 107 pilot and having close to 5 months real world experience with sUAS flight, (not including about 2 years of indoor "toy" quads), there is almost never a reason to go beyond LOS. That being said, I have had issues in the past when I challenged the rule by going a bit further, but I learned my lesson the hard way when my drone almost decided that cow pie was whats for dinner. Since then, I never exceed 1200-1500 feet MAX, since my aircraft are small and only got the benefit that they are both darker color than say a phantom. Also, If you are not 100% confident in any operation, thats the time to turn around and go home. Your AC is not worth the chance to get some amazing shot, nor is risking fines or even prison time for endangering airspace, people or property. Simple rules to live by: See drone, Know its limits, Understand regulations. I am sympathetic to your case and others as I understand what its like to be a new person to this field, but being new isn't an excuse for negligence of safe operating practices.  I hope this finds you well, and I hope that you can get back up in the air soon,
Alpha

Thanks for the input.
2018-8-29
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

Droneberg>. Here is a similar situation to yours, but with a happy ending.  It's actually a very compelling story - theres a recovery video that sequels this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8H2E3i5f44
2018-8-29
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

One thing I do to test wind speed is go to my desired altitude and hover for a minute.  By looking at the horizon in the radar view, you can see how "tilted" your drone is to stay in one place.  It also helps you know which way the wind is blowing.  Anything over about a 20 degree tilt is probably time to be careful.

Another thing to remember when flying over water is that when you battery hits 10%, your drone will land automatically.  There are several threads here where people were coming back over water and almost got back to the shore only to see it decide to land on its own.  I think you can stop it with the pause button but may not have the quick thinking to save it.
2018-8-29
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

BKahuna Posted at 2018-8-29 15:46
One thing I do to test wind speed is go to my desired altitude and hover for a minute.  By looking at the horizon in the radar view, you can see how "tilted" your drone is to stay in one place.  It also helps you know which way the wind is blowing.  Anything over about a 20 degree tilt is probably time to be careful.

Another thing to remember when flying over water is that when you battery hits 10%, your drone will land automatically.  There are several threads here where people were coming back over water and almost got back to the shore only to see it decide to land on its own.  I think you can stop it with the pause button but may not have the quick thinking to save it.

Good info. Thanks.
2018-8-29
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2

Bluehook Posted at 2018-8-29 14:35
Droneberg>. Here is a similar situation to yours, but with a happy ending.  It's actually a very compelling story - theres a recovery video that sequels this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8H2E3i5f44

Thanks for the link.
2018-8-29
Use props
Ulysses Paiva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

I hope this ends well. I'm sorry too.
2018-8-29
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Truly sorry for the loss of another aircraft!!

Preflight:

Weather/wind conditions for the next 2 to 3 batteries, or more

Know/Learn your aircraft,  what it can and can't do, and what it DOES DO in certain circumstances.....Please don't learn over water

Have fun and fly safe with your next AC

Randy

2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. Kindly contact our support team to start up a case: (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav). We have the professional data analysis team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. You can provide your case number here in case you need further assistance. Thanks for your support.
2018-9-5
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

BKahuna Posted at 2018-8-29 15:46
One thing I do to test wind speed is go to my desired altitude and hover for a minute.  By looking at the horizon in the radar view, you can see how "tilted" your drone is to stay in one place.  It also helps you know which way the wind is blowing.  Anything over about a 20 degree tilt is probably time to be careful.

Another thing to remember when flying over water is that when you battery hits 10%, your drone will land automatically.  There are several threads here where people were coming back over water and almost got back to the shore only to see it decide to land on its own.  I think you can stop it with the pause button but may not have the quick thinking to save it.

The only way to hold off the Critical Battery autoland is to continuously push up on the left stick (mode 2), the moment you release the stick it will try to land again. Of course this only works until the battery is dead.......
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read about losing the drone - hope you get it replaced soon
2018-9-5
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2
Japan

One question I have, by the way, is why the battery only lasted 12:40. If anyone has insights, I'd like to hear them.
2018-9-13
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Bluehook Posted at 2018-8-28 18:22

Me too.  Not even a pond.
2018-9-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bluehook Posted at 2018-8-28 19:39

i have my weather app alarm set for 25 mph winds.. if 25mph or higher, i get an alert..then i dont fly..

if your flying a spark, 15mph is a good limit, but anything above a spark can handle a substantial amount more wind..
2018-9-13
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

droneberg Posted at 2018-8-28 17:49
Hey, thanks for the info. I was in normal mode and only went to sport near the end. I'd heard that sport depletes the battery faster, so I was hesitant to use it.

I learned over land that Sport mode isn't supported the last 20-30% of the battery. So that probably didn't help trying Sport at the end. And yes, once it starts landing you have to continuously push up on the left stick to stop it from landing. But it's a frightening feeling having your drone land out of your control. My only advice (too late now though) is when you're returning home and notice that the speed is greatly reduced, this is the point you should immediately try Sport mode or changing altitudes to get out of the wind gust. If you wait until the end of the battery then you're already out of options. Something similar happened to me over land and I had to find an impromptu landing spot then go find the drone. Not an option over the ocean though. Sorry man.
2018-9-13
Use props
droneberg
lvl.2
Japan

Bing Err Posted at 2018-9-13 18:06
I learned over land that Sport mode isn't supported the last 20-30% of the battery. So that probably didn't help trying Sport at the end. And yes, once it starts landing you have to continuously push up on the left stick to stop it from landing. But it's a frightening feeling having your drone land out of your control. My only advice (too late now though) is when you're returning home and notice that the speed is greatly reduced, this is the point you should immediately try Sport mode or changing altitudes to get out of the wind gust. If you wait until the end of the battery then you're already out of options. Something similar happened to me over land and I had to find an impromptu landing spot then go find the drone. Not an option over the ocean though. Sorry man.

Bing, thanks for the info.
2018-9-13
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

droneberg Posted at 2018-9-13 16:07
One question I have, by the way, is why the battery only lasted 12:40. If anyone has insights, I'd like to hear them.

Ever since I had a near loss over water (I literally had 0% on the battery before I managed to land), a couple of flights after I was getting 11-12 minutes of flight time and was starting to worry I had killed my battery by draining it down too far. Turned out it was just the conditions I was flying in afterwards weren't the most calm and I was flying in sport mode a lot more combined with a lot of extra movement.

I'm now back flying at around an average of 16-17 minutes per flight but at the end it really comes down to the conditions you are flying in and how much movement you are making. AS I go back through all my flights, there were indeed some shorter flights earlier on and I guess I just didn't notice it as much until after an event that made me worry.
2018-9-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules