Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Motor Overload with a twist
6946 18 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Don W Price
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4015738 ft
  • >>>

Day 1 first flight and I was sitting still, 200 feet up, 15mph wind when I got the 'Gimbal Motor Overload' error, then the gimbal starts to wobble and does the funky chicken. I turn the drone and it levels out and locks back to normal. Turn back in the same direction as the problem and sure enough, does the same thing. It seems when the wind hits it just right, the gimbal detects resistance and shuts down. When the resistance (presumably from the wind) abates, it locks back to normal. So today there was less wind so I took it up. Again, about 200 feet, probably 10MPH wind, and it flew fine. Once I started to do an orbit, I got to a point where it was flying sideways into the wind and it happened again, Gimbal Motor Overload, and funky chicken. I stop sideways movement and it locks back to normal. Fly back in the oposite direction and when flying sideways from the other direction it does it all over again. Camera flopping all over the place. This time I got it all on video.

This is my guess on what is going on. The resistance threshold is set too low and when it is reached, it goes into 'limp mode' to prevent the gimbal motors from overheating. It seems like if they raise this threshold that the problem will go away. BUT, I am far from a technician. It just sounds like a logical solution to me. The gimbal is free and clear. I can take the Mavic in my hand and move it drastically in all directions simulating high wind situations and the gimbal works fine. It only happens when the drone is flying, and when the wind force is hitting it from the side. This camera presents a pretty big profile and I can see it being effected in this way.

Whatever the problem is, I have sent an e-mail to DJI and am waiting for a reply from them. The link I posted is to the YouTube video I posted in hopes to see if it is a common problem.  Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

Oh, by the way, I did a gimbal calibration, IMU calibration, of course the 1.0.0.0 update, the works. This is my 8th DJI drone, Inspire 1, Inspire 2, Phantom 3 Advanced, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Spark, and Tello (Ok, so the Tello is technically NOT a DJI drone), and now the Mavic 2 Pro, so I know the troubleshooting dance.

IMG_0027.PNG
2018-9-1
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

That right there, can make me seasick..........
2018-9-2
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 00:20
That right there, can make me seasick..........

hahaha same mate  
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looks like you have a problem there, and doing all the necessary hasn’t fixed it, so not sure if New FW will fix it either, you may be sending this back.
2018-9-2
Use props
Don W Price
lvl.2
  • >>>

Well, I just got a reply from DJI and they pretty much told me to pound sand! This is what I got from them. "I just got an update from the Engineering Team and they said that the error message would normally pop-up because you were flying against the wind and the gimbal was being obstructed. Please make sure to fly the aircraft in the low wind and or clear path. Or if you are going to fly it through the wind, please make sure to put on the Gimbal Protector." This is my 8th DJI drone and have never had this issue until this drone. This really sucks!
2018-9-2
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41683 ft
United States

Definitely BS because I've found a bunch of people having similar problems.  I commented on your youtube video, but my gimbal is completely dead after 1 full day of use in mildly windy conditions.  I've found 4+ people now in the last 24hr alone that have been experiencing these issues.  Seems like the new gimbal is simply extremely weak and can be damaged/destroyed by some light wind.  My gimbal won't recenter or calibrate and doensn't respond to controller inputs.  Overloaded message is constant even when its just sitting on the ground.
2018-9-3
Use props
Trike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 542972 ft
United States

I just came back from my maiden flight and had this EXACT same issue on my M2 Pro.  At ground level, there was no wind at all, not sure about 200 ft up.  I started to move sideways to get into position for a shot, and almost immediately the gimbal goes limp and I see reports of "gimbal motor overload".  If I let it hover a bit, it'll lock back on, and as I start moving again, It'll go limp.  I found that if I move sideways very slowly, it'll stay locked in more.  I brought it back down to about 20ft where there isn't any wind.  If I bang on the sticks, I can get the gimbal to go limp. I'm hoping there isn't a bigger issue here.  I have an inspire 2 and a P4, and never experienced this issue even in high winds.
2018-9-13
Use props
Don W Price
lvl.2
  • >>>

UPDATE: 10 days after sending my Mavic 2 Pro in for a replacement, I got my brand new Mavic 2 Pro and it works flawlessly. In fact, her maiden flight was in 20-25 MPH winds and the camera was rock steady. It did however take me calling them and requesting a replacement rather than repairing my old one. I had also had an interference problem that while flying with a friend who also had a Mavic 2 Pro, mine would suddenly get a 2 second lag in the video. As soon as he landed, it went away. I had changed the channel, and went from dual, to 2.4 and then to 5.8, and nothing worked. This happened multiple times in a row. This weekend I held a meet and greet for my local drone group and had the chance to fly with not one, but 5 Mavic 2's at the same time, along with 2 Phantom 4's and an Inspire 2 and had no problems at all. In conclusion, I think I simply got a bad unit. The replacement is spot on, and is in line with the fine products DJI has produced in the past. This is my 10th DJI product, and I am very pleased with this drone. Thanks DJI for the quick turn around. In a side note, I told the representative that I had to have my replacement by September 21st to be in time for this weekends event and they sent the replacement 2 day air. DJI has continued to strive to improve their customer service, and I think they have been getting better every day. Again, thank you DJI.
2018-9-24
Use props
dbk123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3031 ft

United States

cap7ainclu7ch Posted at 2018-9-3 10:16
Definitely BS because I've found a bunch of people having similar problems.  I commented on your youtube video, but my gimbal is completely dead after 1 full day of use in mildly windy conditions.  I've found 4+ people now in the last 24hr alone that have been experiencing these issues.  Seems like the new gimbal is simply extremely weak and can be damaged/destroyed by some light wind.  My gimbal won't recenter or calibrate and doensn't respond to controller inputs.  Overloaded message is constant even when its just sitting on the ground.

I had a similar problem in that the gimbal failed on my brand new M2P.  However, I don't think it was wind related as it seemed to work fine when flying in sport mode.  The forces exerted on the gimbal when flying in that mode must exceed all but the windiest of days.

I had to return mine and am awaiting a new one.  

Sure hope this isn't a systemic problem.
2018-9-24
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Well, you can add me to the list of new M2P owners who has now experienced a bunk gimbal...

Just came back from a flight with 15KM/h headwinds, flying in P-mode, when all of the sudden the gimbal started tilting downward, exactly like the Mavic Air gimbal does when full-throttle S-mode. When I tried to tilt it back up during the flight, it only get to +3-5 degrees above horizon and not budge. And if I let off the tilt wheel, it would fall back down to 0 degrees or even a negative value.

You know what, having taken another (admittedly stupid in retrospect) chance on the M2P after my debacle with the Mavic Air, I'd have expected this drone to be physically flawless, and for the first few flights it was an absolute joy to fly! Now I feel like kicking myself in the behind...

I'll be calling DJI Support first thing in the morning and DEMANDING a BRAND-NEW replacement, as this thing is only a week old and has less than a dozen flights logged!
2018-9-24
Use props
Bengaz
New

HI,

This is my first post and not a great introduction!!!

I am having similar problems, in fact before I have even flown the drone.

I updated the firmware before flying, got set, then received the "gimbal motor overload" warning.
The gimbal juts hangs limp, to one side.

I messaged dji chat who said it is a hardware fault and needs sending back, gutted!!!

Is this a common fault?

Peter
2018-10-10
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Don W Price Posted at 2018-9-2 17:28
Well, I just got a reply from DJI and they pretty much told me to pound sand! This is what I got from them. "I just got an update from the Engineering Team and they said that the error message would normally pop-up because you were flying against the wind and the gimbal was being obstructed. Please make sure to fly the aircraft in the low wind and or clear path. Or if you are going to fly it through the wind, please make sure to put on the Gimbal Protector." This is my 8th DJI drone and have never had this issue until this drone. This really sucks!

Put on the Gimbal protector when flying  ?? I think that would be a bad idea and could cause Gimbal overload , I took my Mavic 2 Pro up Sunday and it was real windy and received wind warnings but the Gimbal worked great and had no Gimbal overload warnings.
2018-10-10
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Weak gimbals? Man I thought they learned from MP design and made the M2P gimbal more robust...

Marketing material states -- "Both Mavic 2 cameras employ DJI's latest 3-axis gimbal technology, ensuring smooth, stable footage in just about any situation."

2018-10-10
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

What concerns me, is the response from DJI, fly with the gimbal cover on?  What, look at the error message DJI, it's clearly stating that Gimbal overload might be caused if the drone if flown with the Gimbal cover on.  

I have not tried my MP2 in a strong wind yet, but have added this to the issue to look for.  

Guess you have to learn to fly backwards.  

Paul C
2018-10-11
Use props
fansdc200754
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6095121 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had same problem with my M2P. Sent it in for repair/ replacement.
2018-10-27
Use props
losga77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11270 ft
Italy

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-24 18:14
Well, you can add me to the list of new M2P owners who has now experienced a bunk gimbal...

Just came back from a flight with 15KM/h headwinds, flying in P-mode, when all of the sudden the gimbal started tilting downward, exactly like the Mavic Air gimbal does when full-throttle S-mode. When I tried to tilt it back up during the flight, it only get to +3-5 degrees above horizon and not budge. And if I let off the tilt wheel, it would fall back down to 0 degrees or even a negative value.

Hi! I have the same issue on my mavic 2.how did you solve?
2019-3-30
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

losga77 Posted at 3-30 06:48
Hi! I have the same issue on my mavic 2.how did you solve?

Hi losga77,

In my case it ended up getting returned and exchanged for a brand-new unit. The replacement had no issues.
2019-3-30
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

Nice neighborhood
2019-3-30
Use props
deshu
lvl.1
Mexico

I Have had this problem with the mavic pro.  twice the gimbal ribbon failed. I was thinking of getting the M2 but after reading all the gimbal issues I will wait another year and maybe DJI will sell something that works.
2019-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules