Mavic 2 Zoom file sizes not as expected - super res? Meh?
2163 8 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjefferies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1068002 ft
United States

Hello - I am loving the Zoom but have noticed the file sizes are not as expected (or advertised).  I always pull the memory card, transfer to desktop, ingest the stills into Lightroom and then work on them.  I was surprised I couldn't pick out the Super Resolution photos.  It takes them, I see the camera zooming in, it moves around to various frames, gives me a "super res completed" or somesuch message.  But, I could ID the files by quality or even size.  Here are the contents of a deliberate session. I wrote down each shot as I made it and then looked at the results.  Here's a screencap of the files still on the card (I added the suffix to tell them apart):

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 17.10.03.png

As you can see, the standard DNG or RAW file comes in at 24.6 mb, the JPEGs all around 4 mb and the SuperResolution is only 15 or 16 mb.  What gives?  

These are all shot on auto, settings on RAW.  Am I missing something here?  I thought the standard picture was around 12 and the Super Res was 40+.

I'm loving the drone but not sure about this.  Only two other issues so far.  The cable to connect the iPhone doesn't seem to work right and I gave up, replacing it with a USB one I had.  It seems that the gimbal will jump down one time at the start of most shots.  After the camera is running, it doesn't do it again.

R/ Perry
2018-9-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

That's because build-in hires or pano stitching algorithm is a crappy one. Take the source images into dedicated stitching software environment and you'll be amazed what you see ...
2018-9-2
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I don't really do panos anymore but what matt says makes sense.
2018-9-2
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Mega Bytes do not equal Mega Pixels
2018-9-2
Use props
pjefferies
lvl.2
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-9-2 16:54

Aahhhh-yep.  Thank you for the reminder.  
I’ll leave the thread up since I “dun it” and at least one person gave me some good advice about doing my own.  Thanks for the correction and patience.
2018-9-2
Use props
pjefferies
lvl.2
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-2 16:16
That's because build-in hires or pano stitching algorithm is a crappy one. Take the source images into dedicated stitching software environment and you'll be amazed what you see ...

That’s good advice. I’d let the thing do it on its own but after having several people point out my error in conflating pixels and bytes, this seems to be the thing to do.  Thank you.
2018-9-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-9-2 16:54

Correct, this aspect of OP's doubts escaped my attention. Both SuperRes and Pano images are delivered in JPG format, which doesn't reflect pixel dimensions (resolution) of image directly. 15.8 MB size JPEG file may indeed translate into 40 MP resolution of stitched SuperRes image, depend on compression ratio determined by DJI.

That said, it's hard to determine the resolution (pixel size) of 9.5 MB vertical panorama JPG file. As a reference, however, well executed stitching of 360x180 spherical panorama from 34 images delivered by P4P may result in a whooping 305 MP image size (!).  

2018-9-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Wait a minute ... Do you have access to source images used for stitching, stored in separate folders? If Mavic 2 delivers finished (stitched already) pano or hires picture only, than I'll pass ...
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi. Sorry for the inconvenience. May I know if you were able to figure out what seems to be the problem? Please let us know for further help. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules