Flying to Edinburgh, Scotland w/MP2
1270 6 2018-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nspire Aviation
lvl.1
Flight distance : 563182 ft

Anyone ever done this from the states, i looked up the CAA laws and not sure how that works with a part 61/107 certified pilot. I would like to bring it when we hike up Arthurs seat but dont want any problems when i reach customs or when I try to leave. Can anyone clarify or provide the steps i would need to operate legally?

2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. Aside from knowing the local policy, you could check our website to determine if the specific location would be restricted or not for a possible unlocking the location as well. Please see the link below. Thank you for the support and have a safe flight ahead!

www.dji.com/flysafe
2018-9-11
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying to and from the UK is painless as is operating a drone in the UK.

The CAA website has a guide to drone flight in the UK which is basically VLOS, 50m from people or buildings, 150m from large crowds. Safe distance from airports etc.

There are two organisations that look after historic properties within the UK, the National Trust and English Heritige, neither permit drone operations from their properties, requiring commercial insurances and payments!

So sites such as Hadrians Wall, in theory, are off limits, there’s nothing to stop you from taking off public land and flying over.

In general the UK is largely drone friendly.
2018-9-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14501142 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-9-12 04:36
Flying to and from the UK is painless as is operating a drone in the UK.

The CAA website has a guide to drone flight in the UK which is basically VLOS, 50m from people or buildings, 150m from large crowds. Safe distance from airports etc.

Good advice     
2018-9-12
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

This is the UK drone code (which includes Scotland) it's very basic and partly ambiguous, however Edinburgh will be classed as a built up area, so you would need a 150m buffer

https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

Scotland is in the UK but their land ownership rules are not the same as England and Wales as such flying over land might be restricted.

Arthur's seat is in Holyrood Park, which probably have restrictions on Drone usage, the Royal Parks (London) banned drone usage some years back so I wouldn't be surprised if Edinburgh did the same with their parks.

My advice would be to email the Consulate in Edinburgh or the park and ask them the question.

In terms of bring a drone into the UK there is no restriction, just make sure the batteries are in your carry on.
2018-9-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Don't be tempted to fly in the city itself as this is a built up area, one story from July this year:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-sc ... -east-fife-44739279

The drone code is a good guide for non commercial operation, be aware that it is now an offence to fly more than 400 ft AGL, or within 1km of an airport boundary (this gets a mention in drone code). The drone laws in UK are still evolving, and will likely change over the next year or so to include registration etc.

Certainly worth checking with local authorities to see if Arthurs Seat is allowed. Perhaps some of the locals might comment. In general most areas away from town are OK, in fact the CAA ran a photography competition last year to encourage people to get out to the country side, and to promote the 400ft AGL limit. Discretion as always is advised.

Historic environment Scotland who I believe control Hollyrood park appear only to allow commercially licensed operators, here is their Link. It may be worth contacting them to see if any dispensation can be given for non commercial use.

Edit:- The page for Hollyrood Park
2018-9-12
Use props
Hugg727
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124895 ft
United States

I was just in Edinburgh this past April with my Mavic.  Flying anywhere near the castle is prohibited and quite frowned upon by the locals as well.  I took some great footage from Arthurs seat and it is totally legal.  Just keep in mind that it does get incredibly windy up there and i have read comments on the web of folks losing their drones due to high winds.  I was lucky that day , it was windy but not over the top.  I still played it safe and hiked down a little bit from the top and found a safe area to take off and land from.  I would recommend this as well as once you get to the top, its far too rocky to take off or land.
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules