Discharging batteries?
1967 12 2018-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sea1111
lvl.3
United States

What is everyone using to discharge there batteries to the proper long term storage voltage?
Also are you using this same thing to bring the battery to the deep cycle voltage after 20 flights like DJI recommends?

Are these any good to use for this ?:
https://phantomangel.rocks/
2018-10-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Looks like you're flying a P3?  The accepted procedure is to do nothing at all.  Just leave it alone and let the auto-discharge bring it down to an appropriate level.  Don't check it.  Just let it sit.

If you're not going to fly for several months, you can then check it to be sure it doesn't drop down too low and bring it up just a bit to keep it happy.  :-)  

Good luck.  

2018-10-2
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-2 16:51
Looks like you're flying a P3?  The accepted procedure is to do nothing at all.  Just leave it alone and let the auto-discharge bring it down to an appropriate level.  Don't check it.  Just let it sit.

If you're not going to fly for several months, you can then check it to be sure it doesn't drop down too low and bring it up just a bit to keep it happy.  :-)  

Mark, I do believe he is selling.  Evidently he has a new invention.
2018-10-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only charge my batteries when I'm going to use them (or if they get too low in storage). If I charge them and don't use them (doesn't happen often), I let them auto discharge down to the storage level.

DJI batteries do not need to be deep cycled. You can safely ignore any recommendations to do so.

See more details about caring for your DJI batteries here:
HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI drone batteries
2018-10-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If it were somewhat cheaper. . .

https://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP3
6136177F-4D69-460E-BBFE-9A2C1FC8F809.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2018-10-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Azerbaijan

Always amazes me that people will spend serious money on a piece of kit that basically is unnecessary.

The Anbee 4in1 charger at about $45 takes care of SIMULTANEOUS charging of 3 P3 batterys and Controller (Pro / Adv) ...

A Telsin battery adaptor discharges to storage or deep while using that power to charge a mobile or other USB powered item ... cost ? About $5.

But of course as Mark, Alabama, msinger above .... why ?

No need for fancy crap ... DJI have installed a system that looks after the battery well enough.

Nigel
2018-10-2
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Ok maybe im special ( my psychiatrist thinks so ) but all my batteries are kept at full charge only because im on call 24/7 .
But for over 12 months now at full charge my batteries have never failed me they are still in perfect working order with no signs of swelling or degradation of power.
So to be honest im not sure how this fits into the battery managment theory. In that 12 months my p4p batteries have only once ever gone into self discharge mode.
I have worked with liPo batteries for many years now as a solar power station engineer. Not once have i seen a memo or report from any of our battery suppliers stating that the batteries should be stored at lets say 50% for example, they have all recommended that the battery be kept at close to full charge as posible for the longevity of the battery.
So let me put this question forward how does a dji battery differ from any other LiPo battery when they have a BMU (BATTERY MANAGMENT UNIT) attached ?
The reason i ask this is not to try and be lets say a smart ass but i need the truth peoples lives can sometimes depend on my drones working at all times (with my fire brigade duties) so i need hard evidence that proves one way or another how a LiPo battery should be handled cause the info im getting on here contradicts the info ive learnt over the past few years.
2018-10-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Azerbaijan

I think the big difference is the frequency of use. Your batterys are literally used so often that storage level is in practical terms unnecessary. If you are using all the batterys over just a few days - you are not leaving them full charge in effect.
The problem comes when the battery is left static for period at full charge. Battery manufacturers do state this .. its not just a Hobbyists comment. Plenty of online technical about it as well.

With regard to Solar Power stations - are you using LiIon / LiPo ? Or LiFe ? If its LiFe - then they are so tolerant of discharge and full charge states that you can use them any way you like - literally. But I ask which battery you use in those stations as all the ones I have come across have banks of Lead Acid accumulators - which definitely should be full charge all time.
But again  of course - we are back to virtually continuous use ... they are literally never idle.

The only time I have seen LiPo or actually LiIon (a LiPo without the Polymer !) used in energy storage duty - the BMU has maintained the bank when idle at less than 80% .. only when demand kicks in has charge level then been increased to cater. Shortly after power demand ceases BMU reverts to less than 80%. But these are small units and not the large industrial units where I think LiPo / LiIon would not be used ?

Interesting ....

I have over 100 LiPo's with another box full of soon to be binned !!  ... about 10 LiFe ... and boxes of NiXX .....

The LiPo's ... nearly all the failed ones are due to storing at too high a charge level and they degraded to such that they could not deliver the high power I needed, a few others due to the harsh use I put them to. I fly EDF models as well and they can be extremely hard on a LiPo. So far they supply bench power to avoid using my good ones.

Nigel
2018-10-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-10-2 16:58
Mark, I do believe he is selling.  Evidently he has a new invention.

Maybe - but that thing has been around for a while.  I remember it from years ago...
2018-10-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Azerbaijan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-3 01:58
Maybe - but that thing has been around for a while.  I remember it from years ago...

Not only that - but I seem to remember in the dark distant past someone on RCGroups did a build thread of similar ... and it didn't cost $79 !!!!!  In fact it was remarkably similar !!

My $5 Telsin does a very good job thank you - buts that only if I dont want to wait for DJI's system to work.

Must admit that one thing I do use the Telsin for :

When  I bench test my P3P .... I stand it on a Laptop cooler ... which is designed to be powered from USB. The Telsin having an USB outlet gives me two things :

1. Cooling fan for the gimbal / camera
2. Discharge of P3 battery.

I repeat $5 ..... not $79 !!!!

Nigel
2018-10-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

$200CDN x 4 = quite an investment.  So I think they deserve some love. ;-)

I would only need a couple or three more flight packs too, to fill my Nanuk 945....

I will definately by a DJI P3 Smart Power Charge whence their rediculous price is significantly reduced.

I see that Spektrum are selling their own smart battery and smart charger systems now. Quite nice.

http://spektrumrc.com/smarttechnology/

RedHotPoker

2018-10-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
United Arab Emirates

The Spektrum development is most likely in response to the market reduction they are experiencing as such as FrSky and others produce greater function sets for less money.
With RTF / BnF models from HH with Spektrum radios ... its to try and lock people in.

IMHO - I think its a bad move as today you can clip a module into a Tx at half the price that flies any Spektrum equipped model ... and uses common batterys !

It always surprises me that marketing depts choose such tactics ... they often result in loss of market share as people move to more open aspect gear.

Nigel
2018-10-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HI, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly refer to our Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines. Hope this helps. Thank you.

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _Guidelines__en.pdf
2018-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules