Recorded video flickering/pulsing
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi all,

Just got a P3P. I came to accept that my "jello" video effects could probably be solved with an ND filter, so I'm looking into those now. My next problem is that my recorded video seems to flicker/pulse a lot - what can do I to stop this?:

(It's much more apparent in fullscreen and 1080p, look at the grass and the trees, you will notice a pulse every second or so)

It's as if it's constantly jumping back and forth between shutter speeds or brightness settings or something to that effect. Is it a faulty camera or can it be solved with some tweaking of the camera settings?

Many thanks in advance.

2015-6-2
Use props
ithork
lvl.1

United States

It looks like it could be compression artifacts.. possibly just from Youtube's processing?  I would view the original recorded video file to see if you see the effect there too.
2015-6-2
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Yes the effect is in the raw footage (and is even more pronounced there)

Thanks
2015-6-2
Use props
richardpwills
lvl.1

Thailand

I had this issue when uploading it to Youtube. YouTube automatically adjusted the jerkiness/steadiness of the video and it made play with this problem. I assume you watched the video before uploading to youtube right? If not, it could be Youtube
2015-6-3
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Yes I first noticed the effect in the raw footage, I only uploaded to demonstrate

Thanks
2015-6-3
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

This my friend is the infamous Jello effect
2015-6-3
Use props
vincent.zorzi
lvl.3
France

Hi,

You're a rare person to notice this problem. I am like you, disappointed. I have researched around this problem. It has nothing to do with Jello. In addition, everyone confuses it with the youtube compression. But no, it's in the raw footage.
Here is the topic which I speak, and the temporary solution I found :
http://forum.dji.com/thread-16254-1-1.html
2015-6-3
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

vincent.zorzi Posted at 2015-6-4 04:45
Hi,

You're a rare person to notice this problem. I am like you, disappointed. I have researched aro ...

I wasnt talking about the bad compression, i was talking about the rolling shutter AKA Jello effect you can see in that video in full screen mode. This is caused because of vibrations or Gimbal motor micro vibrations.
2015-6-3
Use props
vincent.zorzi
lvl.3
France

In original post, Olvier said "I came to accept that my "jello" video effects could probably be solved with an ND filter, so I'm looking into those now. My next problem is that..." ;)
2015-6-3
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

vincent.zorzi Posted at 2015-6-4 04:45
Hi,

You're a rare person to notice this problem. I am like you, disappointed. I have researched aro ...

Wow, seems like you have done a lot of digging! Thanks for the suggestions in that thread.

One thing that seemed to help me: try turning off Auto White Balance. Apparently this "pulsing" problem is as a result of an "indecisive" auto white-balancer. That is to say, the exposure levels keep on jumping around. I found that setting my exposure (in the camera settings menu) to "sunny" really helped the problem. You can also manually set it, too, if you can't find a suitable preset. I was able to get some really stable shots with it
2015-6-3
Use props
vincent.zorzi
lvl.3
France

I've also thought about WB. But in my case, I always work in fixed WB : sunny.

In fact, the problem appears only on particular conditions : details pictures for sure. But I can't determine what exactly those particular conditions are. So, if you find more about all of that, please share ;)
2015-6-3
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

vincent.zorzi Posted at 2015-6-4 05:22
In original post, Olvier said "I came to accept that my "jello" video effects could probably be solv ...

jello effect can be reduced with an ND filter, thats not a secret. But the fact still stands that there are P3 with extreme jello and some without jello effect. So its a quality issue here
2015-6-3
Use props
vincent.zorzi
lvl.3
France

You're right.
2015-6-5
Use props
vincent.zorzi
lvl.3
France

The only solution is using this plugin : http://www.digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html
2015-6-11
Use props
blom.cbfoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57133 ft
Norway

vincent.zorzi Posted at 2015-6-11 21:45
The only solution is using this plugin : http://www.digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html

I have this problem also Vincent.

Filming in 1920x1080 @60 fps and the shutter set to 1/60 makes it perfekt, but if the shutter is faster its bad.

I`ve now downloaded the plugin you linked to and installed it to Premiere Pro. Have you been playing around with the plugin? Found any sets of settings that works good?

Or else I will do some work now and publish later.
2015-7-21
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-6-4 04:14
This my friend is the infamous Jello effect

No.  It's not the classic Jello effect.  Typical "jello" effect has a wavy appearence like the lens was shooting through water or jello.  An ND filter does help with vibration induced jello & adds some motion blur which can be very helpful.

This looks more like a key frame compresison issue.  All of that highly detailed green tree content is making it hard for the video compressor to handle the bandwidth.  Every 60 frames the compressor is shooting another key frame and the video improves for 1 frame.  Then the tween frames degrade over time until the next key frame.  This is true with all modern MPEG & H264 compression.

You can try the ND filter.  This may help becasue the motion blur unduced by a slower shutter speed also reduces the sharpness enought that the video compressr will have an easier time.

2015-7-21
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-22 02:48
No.  It's not the classic Jello effect.  Typical "jello" effect has a wavy appearence like the lens ...

yes but look at 0:52 and watch until it gets to 0:56, this is jello effect or on other words vibrations from the gimbal. The rest of the video has only mild jello, its acceptable i would say.
2015-7-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-23 00:39
yes but look at 0:52 and watch until it gets to 0:56, this is jello effect or on other words vibra ...

The OP was not complaining about Jello.  He is complaining in the 1 second periodic flashes that happen when new keyframes are encoded.

There may have been some minimal  Jello... But that was not the main complaint.
2015-7-23
Use props
martin.gros
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1017871 ft
Canada

Hi,
I received my Phantom 4 this week, I did several tests and have the exactly same problem.
Shadow are flickering/pulsing, my kit is brand new, out of the box with firmware updates.

My setting are 4k, 30 fps, shutter 1/60s, manual WB, D-LOG profile.
Tested with and withoyt ND-PL pola filter , same issue.

FCPX, Premiere or Quicktime gave me same results in preview. For D-Log I did a quick grade. I also tested with DJI color profile in camera, same problem.
Exporting in different format didn't resolve anything either.

I'm pretty sure it's a codec/compression issue, technical/camera related.

For know I'm REALLY disappointed, I really would like to have a DJI official comment on this issue !!!

I'll upload some footage in the next days...I'll do an edit with all my tests described.

(I'm a professional videographer, working with crazy camera like OZO for VR and every kind of stuff, my tests are done seriously ;) )
2016-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules