608 8 2019-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coyote137
lvl.1
Flight distance : 255161 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,

Is anyone else concerned that one day we will all be banned from operating drones due to inapropriate use?

I have recently had a discussion with someone that posted a video of himself riding his moped on a busy road in UK and his New mavic air far behind him in follow me mode.

He stated his concern of losing either the drone or Moped in doing so and needs more practise to master it.

When i asked how can he legally operate both moped and Mavic air at same time on a busy road!
He laughed saying that the controller was in his pocket all the time and its perfectly safe as mavic air was in follow me mode!

In the UK I thought we had to be in control and in visual line of sight of drone at all times, The drone was behind him all the time he was driving the moped and controller in his jacket pocket.

In uk you get points on your driving license or a ban for driving while using a mobile phone!
What do you get for being in charge of a drone and driving at the same time.

What is going to happen when someone crashes their vehicle into another vehicle or person while in charge of a drone and driving at the same time on a public road.
Will it be another reason for the anti-drone to bring in a ban on drones - I hope not as i like operating my drones safely.

Do not want to come accross as Drone Police but I do not want to be hit on the road by someone operating a drone at same time as driving.

I see myself as a responsible user of my mavic drones and as a light Aircraft Pilot and RC model flyer for the past 40 years and i am used to following rules and guidlines.

2019-1-1
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i personally doubt that an all out ban will be implemented. i think mostly that countries have suitable controls and legislation in place - errant pilots should/will be held to personal account.
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

i think there won't be an outright ban but they will enforce the laws in firmware updates.
2019-1-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I don’t think this guy is a danger to drone flying, but is a danger to society, and hopefully society will deal with him, we see it here on this forum a lot plenty of users showing off their bravado and also on YT,  it gets both hobbyists and professional drone users a bad name with the general public, For me anyways they are complete idiots, the simple fact they have to show off there idiocy on this forum shows their missing something in their lives.
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 1-1 13:44
I don’t think this guy is a danger to drone flying, but is a danger to society, and hopefully society will deal with him, we see it here on this forum a lot plenty of users showing off their bravado and also on YT,  it gets both hobbyists and professional drone users a bad name with the general public, For me anyways they are complete idiots, the simple fact they have to show off there idiocy on this forum shows their missing something in their lives.

he may not have caused danger but if the drone was on low battery it would have reterned to home without him knowing and it might have landed on someone or something
2019-1-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

TC KABREW Posted at 1-1 13:50
he may not have caused danger but if the drone was on low battery it would have reterned to home without him knowing and it might have landed on someone or something

I understand that, but I think this kind of stupidity is more a problem for society than just drone users, it’s obvious to most how dangerous this stupidity is.
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 1-1 14:37
I understand that, but I think this kind of stupidity is more a problem for society than just drone users, it’s obvious to most how dangerous this stupidity is.

ok fine, i agree.
2019-1-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If he's posted the video then he might well get a visit from Mr Plod for this stunt.

He has likely broken the law in a number of ways I would imagine, the laws are already in place to cover such events both from a driving and multirotor perspective.

The rules and regulations for multirotors in UK are already evolving with the next changes expected in November of this year.
2019-1-1
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

This narrative aside my concern is much as anticipated after the Gatwick fiasco - that all drone flyers are now perceived as 'dodgy folk'. Just the other day a guy was arrested for 'causing a public nuisance' while flying a drone from the top of one of  the Seven Bridge spanning towers (UK). This guy's presumably one of those 'urban climbers' who like to 'bag' buildings and record their antics using a drone camera. The problem is that the emphasis was on the fact that he was flying a drone from the tower not that he was climbing a highway bridge tower illegally.

Initial article :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46720717

Follow-up artcile:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46731041

You can see my point.

2019-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules