M2Pro Erratic Precision Landing
519 9 2019-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

My M2Pro will occasionally display "Precision Landing" and do a very good job on its own, but about 50% of the time it does not perform a precision landing and is far enough off (10') that it requires me to cancel RTH and land manually.   I would like to have consistent behavior for this useful feature.   FYI.  For the M2P there is no precision landing on/off switch and I have tried using the auto take-off vs. manual take-off to see if that makes a difference (no it did not) and have tried hovering at about 20' for about 10 seconds right above the take-off point (no difference).   There is plenty of light and I consistently use a landing mat with a bright H symbol.

Are others getting consistent Precision Landing performance?  When it works, it works great.
2019-1-7
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am also interested in the EXACT instructions for precision landing...
thanks,

(Canon)Max
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24971795 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

When you take off, You have to fly slowly up to 6 -8 meters then the mp2 records precision landing spot . If you just take of say 2-3 meters amd start flying horizontally it will not record precions landing spot
2019-1-7
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

that's called a QUICK answer... as soon as the rain will stop and the winds will calm down, I'll try your advice and let you know.
THANKS A LOT!

TC

(Canon)Max
2019-1-7
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

Thanks!  I'll try flying sloowwlllyy up 6-8 meters vertically and see what happens.   I fly up that high and hang out for about 10 sec, but not slowly up.  I suppose go up at about the same rate as a landing is going down.
2019-1-7
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

I tried slowly going straight up during take-off and hovering for about 10 seconds at 8 meters.   First time it landed precisely.   Second time precision landing did not work.   Seems like a good idea though, so I'll try it some more.
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24971795 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

QUBO1234 Posted at 1-7 15:33
I tried slowly going straight up during take-off and hovering for about 10 seconds at 8 meters.   First time it landed precisely.   Second time precision landing did not work.   Seems like a good idea though, so I'll try it some more.

You also wait for the message homepoint recorded check it on the map? Or you switch the drone on and straight away tske off?
2019-1-7
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

dronie1965 Posted at 1-7 23:53
You also wait for the message homepoint recorded check it on the map? Or you switch the drone on and straight away tske off?

Dronie, thank you for the specific directions.    I made sure that the Homepoint was recorded before taking off and that seems to have done the trick!   

In the past it seemed to have sometime updated it automatically so I didn't pay attention.   Also I often take off from about the same place and GPS was working, so figured it did not need to update the home point.    Now if I don't see the Homepoint message before taking off I manually select it in the settings (upper right corner of DJ4).    I also slowly rise to about 8m before going horizontal.

Thanks again for your insights, that was helpful!  
Here's an example of the views taking off from my backyard.   This is the Platte River in northwest Missouri.

Cook Road.jpg
2019-1-9
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

QUBO1234 Posted at 1-9 15:30
Dronie, thank you for the specific directions.    I made sure that the Homepoint was recorded before taking off and that seems to have done the trick!   

In the past it seemed to have sometime updated it automatically so I didn't pay attention.   Also I often take off from about the same place and GPS was working, so figured it did not need to update the home point.    Now if I don't see the Homepoint message before taking off I manually select it in the settings (upper right corner of DJ4).    I also slowly rise to about 8m before going horizontal.

NICE backyard!!!!
2019-1-9
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

I use a hi-vis  landing pad so that my Mavic Pro can record a photo of the precise take-off point and identify it from the background, It then comes home within cm.
Don't have a Mavic 2 so not sure if the same applies, given all the sensors it should though
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules