Replacement P3 Pro STILL had horizon issues! Chilled in fridge and that fixed...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arct1C0n
New

United States

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHANTOM AS A RESULT OF TRYING MY TESTING OF "FREEZING" THE PHANTOM 3 IN THE REFRIDERATOR, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Ok, with that out of the way, i'll get to it. My very first P3 Pro has the gawd awful "crooked" horizon issues, no matter how many times I did the IMU calibration and gimbal alightment. Thinking it was hopefully a manufacturing flaw, I exchange it for a new one at local dealership. I was PISSED that my SECOND P3 Pro STILL had horizon issues!!!

I had read in forums that people have had luck basically "Freezing" their phantoms in the fridge to make the IMU chilled and then do a calibration under lower tempratures which apparently makes the IMU calibration more "accurate"

Outa desperation I did the following:
1. Removed LIPO battery *Lipos DO NOT like cold temps!*
2. Stuck in refridgerator with temprature of around 35 F
3. Left P3 Pro in fridge for about 30 minutes
4. Took out of fridge and set on VERY FLAT, EVEN and STABLE surface, my concrete bolted mantle in my case
5. Immedately fired up P3 Pro and went into advanced IMU calibration. It took longer then before due to temprature change.
6. After IMU was complete, I then did a Gimbal alightment test

The result? My horizon issue went completely away!!! I verified through the camera feed and using a bubble measure but that made my camera horizon issue go away!

I've done 3 flights so far and the horizon has been staying perfectly alighned since I did this. Your mileage could greatly vary but it DOES work!

Not my image but you get idea.

2015-6-4
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.2

Lithuania

What is 'advanced IMU calibration'?
2015-6-4
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's the process to calibrate the IMU. You should do it each time you install new firmware.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-4
Use props
Arct1C0n
New

United States

Rimas_M Posted at 2015-6-5 03:09
What is 'advanced IMU calibration'?

It's under the settings menu under "Sensors"  It calibrates the compass, gryo and accelerometer
2015-6-4
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

Guys I'm the one who relayed Blade Strikes suggestion from the phantompilots.com forum to run an IMU calibration when the Phantom is cold but I am not entirely sure sticking a piece of electronics in a fridge is a great idea for its long term reliability.
The process is to shorten the IMU warm up time not make it more reliable.

I regard the Phantom 3 like coffee, keep it cool yeah but don't introduce moisture from the fridge by storing it in there.

Just saying ;-)

2015-6-4
Use props
s_nyky.yahoo
lvl.2

Canada

sdharris Posted at 2015-6-5 06:15
Guys I'm the one who relayed Blade Strikes suggestion from the phantompilots.com forum to run an IMU ...

I agree. I would recommend cooling by an air conditioning vent if possible. Just let it sit above a vent for a half hour with the air cranked. Worked for me but I must say my air conditioner is relatively new and kicks ass!! Happy flying!!
2015-6-4
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.2

Lithuania

Arct1C0n Posted at 2015-6-5 03:19
It's under the settings menu under "Sensors"  It calibrates the compass, gryo and accelerometer

Oh. That's standard "IMU calibration". At least so it is being called in iOS app. I thought there is an "advanced" one somewhere
2015-6-4
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a good video on this topic:

2015-6-5
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

7 minutes talking about a gimbal issue - whats the executive summary on that?
2015-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules