1444 8 2019-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought two firehouse strobes...  the lights are great.. 4  lights in each one.  

I then purchased two firehouse strobes with brackets from RCGEEK on amazon.  One bracket broke in half the first time I removed it.  RCGEEK told me I had to leave it on and they would replace it.  If you leave it on you can’t fold up the drone.   I’m still trying to get my money back from them.   They also offered to refund the cost of the brackets and let me keep the lights but I can’t get them out of the brackets. Glued or taped in very well..

Don’t buy the brackets unless you plan on never folding up your Mavic.  They also scratch the arms.

I’ve decided to just use two strobes.  I used 3m  Velcro  to attach them to the arms.   One faces back and in the other arm forward.  In sunlight  I can see the drone well over 1000 feet..   I haven’t tried dusk yet  but I’m wondering if the forward facing strobe will effect the camera.   I could make both strobes rear facing but that doesn’t help other people and aircraft see the drone.  If the brackets had worked, I had planned on using four strobes .
image.jpg
2019-4-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day JJMik. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for sharing this information with us and your experience as well. In addition just a friendly reminder that we do not recommend using 3rd part devices or accessories when flying or operating your DJI drones for compatibility and reliability purposes. Using 3rd party devices and accessories might cause harm on the said drone that may cause damage to the drone and can void the warranty as well. Have a safe and happy flying always. Thank you.
2019-4-26
Use props
PortlandProDrones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231155 ft
United States

You might try these out here DJI Mavic Pro LED Strobe Light Mount for STROBON Cree, Flytron and Firehouse Tech 3D Printed. I use their mounts on my Inspire 2 and it let's me take them off and on as needed without any damage to the lights.

Chris Anson - Part 107 Certified Remote PIC
Skylum Online Ambassador - Drone Photographer
http://www.portlandprodrones.com/
2019-4-27
Use props
Drone2020
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the warning!
2019-4-27
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

PortlandProDrones Posted at 4-27 07:03
You might try these out here DJI Mavic Pro LED Strobe Light Mount for STROBON Cree, Flytron and Firehouse Tech 3D Printed. I use their mounts on my Inspire 2 and it let's me take them off and on as needed without any damage to the lights.

Chris Anson - Part 107 Certified Remote PIC

Taking us off-topic.  Heading down to Seaside and Oregon coast in about a week.  Any drone restrictions that I should know about.  I tried looking but could not find much specific.

I've got the smaller Strobon led's.  They do help with visibility especially with the gray drone below the treeline.  I've not done night shots so don't know if they interfere with night pics/video.  White (brightest) on front and red on rear.  While I purchased the mounts - they are too fiddly and as you found even with smaller, you can't fold the drone.  I went with velcro, too.  Easy on/off.
2019-4-28
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 4-28 08:52
Taking us off-topic.  Heading down to Seaside and Oregon coast in about a week.  Any drone restrictions that I should know about.  I tried looking but could not find much specific.

I've got the smaller Strobon led's.  They do help with visibility especially with the gray drone below the treeline.  I've not done night shots so don't know if they interfere with night pics/video.  White (brightest) on front and red on rear.  While I purchased the mounts - they are too fiddly and as you found even with smaller, you can't fold the drone.  I went with velcro, too.  Easy on/off.

Obligatory Do not take my word as a definitive guide to everything, but I would check the FAA Utility maps as those are by far some of the most helpful in determining what airspace you can fly in. For example, in Seaside on the North side of town, or slightly outside, there is a regional airport. On the South Side, outside of town, there is a heliport, and since this is a coastline, I espcecially would caution to be alert to Coast Guard activities, as they can occur at any time. Other than that, Maintain about 2000' from Haystack rock unless you are over 2000' AGL (Not a hundred percent sure about this one, only what I have heard from others, its protected because it is a marine/bird nesting ground, and genially a bad idea in general.) Also do not approach whales (not 100% sure if correct) or other marine life like seals and sea lions (100% sure, do not approach). Other than that, be aware of wind gusts, weather and be courteous to others. I hope this helps!
2019-4-28
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 4-28 11:43
Obligatory Do not take my word as a definitive guide to everything, but I would check the FAA Utility maps as those are by far some of the most helpful in determining what airspace you can fly in. For example, in Seaside on the North side of town, or slightly outside, there is a regional airport. On the South Side, outside of town, there is a heliport, and since this is a coastline, I espcecially would caution to be alert to Coast Guard activities, as they can occur at any time. Other than that, Maintain about 2000' from Haystack rock unless you are over 2000' AGL (Not a hundred percent sure about this one, only what I have heard from others, its protected because it is a marine/bird nesting ground, and genially a bad idea in general.) Also do not approach whales (not 100% sure if correct) or other marine life like seals and sea lions (100% sure, do not approach). Other than that, be aware of wind gusts, weather and be courteous to others. I hope this helps!

I really appreciate the reply.  I will check out the FAA maps and see what DJI's site says.

My luck it will rain, like the last time when I hauled my bike down there! (sigh)
2019-4-28
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 4-28 18:23
I really appreciate the reply.  I will check out the FAA maps and see what DJI's site says.

My luck it will rain, like the last time when I hauled my bike down there! (sigh)

Lol, I know the feeling

Oh hey, the weather looks nice, I'll just go and get my drone and
Rain
Always Rain.
That being said, the weather looks like it will hold for a while so you might get lucky and not have to deal with rain, but I will caution that gusts can be brutal.
2019-4-28
Use props
PortlandProDrones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231155 ft
United States

ff22 Posted at 4-28 08:52

I've got the smaller Strobon led's.  They do help with visibility especially with the gray drone below the treeline.  I've not done night shots so don't know if they interfere with night pics/video.  White (brightest) on front and red on rear.  While I purchased the mounts - they are too fiddly and as you found even with smaller, you can't fold the drone.  I went with velcro, too.  Easy on/off.

Sorry for the delay. I just saw your replay. One of the best tools I've found is to create a free account on Skyward.io and use their mapping feature. Here's what I got when I typed in Seaside. You can see the airport and surrounding areas. If you are a Part 107 pilot, there are areas around the airport that you can use LAANC to get authorization, but as you can see, there are a lot of places that are open.

The other thing to consider if the area is a Wild Life reserve or Park. You'll want to check into those as well.
2019-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules